ISLANDERS OWNER TO EXPLORE ALL OPTIONS, INCLUDING RELOCATION

nyrsuck26

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=293659

Frustrated with a lack of a decision by local government to approve or reject a major developmental plan that would provide the Islanders with a new, refurbished arena, club owner Charles Wang said Saturday he will explore all other options -- including relocation.

"There is (a chance) and that is very, very sad because this is somebody who wants to do something good for Long Island," Wang said before the Islanders hosted the Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh Penguins in New York's season opener...

Wang had set a deadline for Saturday to get an answer from the Town of Hempstead -- and specifically supervisor Kate Murray. Wang received a call from Murray on Friday, but was told she wasn't prepared to give him an answer over the phone.

Wang agreed to talk to Murray during the upcoming week, but stated strongly that the time for negotiations has ended.

"What I want to do is keep the team here," Wang said. "Long Island needs the Islanders. It's crazy what's going on, the gamesmanship. Now you've really got to decide, yes or no. If it's no, it's OK. Say it then."

"It's not what I want, but it isn't like people are giving me great choices."

I hope that they can find a way to work this out. I will miss the Islanders if they move.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate that franchise sooo much, but it would be a sad day for hockey if the Islanders moved. HOWEVER, our fan base would probably grow exponentially, right? I mean we can see from matcat that Isles fans like the Devils a whole hell of a lot more than the Rags. It would be interesting to see what happened with the divisions... if what the speculation says is correct, that the Caps would move into our division, count me out. Playing ovechkin that many times a year? eesh.

I hate to even consider the awful (and unlikely situation), but if god forbid the Islanders do relocate, the Devils would easily become my number one without question. I know quite a few other Islander fans that feel similar. Those who don't would consider other teams, but virtually none would consider the rags.

Edited by matcat1116

Bettman has always wanted one of the three teams out of the area (don't get me wrong I want them to stay, I love all the hockey in easy driving range).... but Long Island gotta step up like Newark did still

it would piss me off the Islanders moved and pulled a Colorado and began winning like they did......

Should moved to Suffolk County. More logical for them. As long as it's not Canada or Brooklyn then I couldn't care less.

There are probably more Rangers fans in Suffolk County than Nassau. Moving to Shea would be a disaster as contrary to popular belief, Queens is a Rangers stranglehold. Time for the TOH (and Wang) to either $h!t or get off the pot. As far as exploring other options, I call nonsense on that. Willing to bet that Wang already has a deal in place with the arena in Kansas City or someplace the minute he is ready to say enough is enough with Long Island.

If the town is not even worried they could lose the team he should move them right away and set up someplace just as Tavares begins his career, since he is now the cornerstone of the franchise. It would be a great way to develop a new strong fan base.

Bye bye Isles.. So now that that's settled let's discuss where the team will be moving.. I think Puerto Rico is due for a team

I don't understand why some here are so glib (or even happy) about a franchise who has more history and success than our own (albeit it predates the memories or lives of the majority of posters on this board) in potential peril of moving.

While I agree that Wang should be given the tools to make this franchise successful....this could easily be the Devils sometime in the future.

Should JV ever sell this team, or should they day come when the success isn't there, the already anemic ticket sales at the Rock could reach a danger level as well.

I don't know.... seems like a case of potential karma if you ask me. I feel bad for NYI fans, in a genuinely sympathetic way.

I don't understand it, either. I've never had anything against the Islanders and why any Devils fans would is beyond me. It's been a franchise that has had it's share of success without throwing it in your face or making themselves out to be something more important then the game like the Rangers.

I've never had any verbal spats, torment or overall douche-like behavior ever displayed by Islanders fans in my presence compared to Rags fans. If there were no Devils, i'd probably be an Islanders fan.

I've always looked at the Islanders like this. They aren't the Rangers.

Plus, the Islanders are the enemy of the Rangers and their fans which makes them OK in my book.

Prediction: The NHL will allow any potential new owner of the Isles to move them out of New York... except Jim Balsillie. If he gets involved, they'll slap a condition on him that he has to stay in the Mausoleum forever; he won't even be allowed to move in with the Nets if they get their Brooklyn arena or to try to build an arena in Queens or Suffolk County.

Or they could move to San Diego and use Petco Park since the Padres wont use that stadium come October ever either.

They did in 2005 and 2006.

Not like this is anything to brag about, but who had the better record in '09? The big payroll playoff picked Mets or the bottom feeding Padres who were predicted to lose 100 games?

Jody Gerut breaks Citi Field's cherry :D

alg_pelfrey_gerut.jpg

Not like this is anything to brag about, but who had the better record in '09? The big payroll playoff picked Mets or the bottom feeding Padres who were predicted to lose 100 games?

come on, if you followed baseball you would know virtually the entire team was killed by injuries. you would have 'bragging rights' if the team was healthy the whole year and lost so many games.

also, congrats to Jody Gerut, I doubt he'll ever hit a HR more important than that one.

Edited by nmigliore