Travis Zajac

DaneykoIsGod

He's a great set-up man and his shot is good enough to finish plays as well. He's excellent on the power play, is good enough defensively that he got Selke votes last year and he's a ridiculously good pickpocket. His work along the boards has gotten so good since his rookie year that it's tough to believe you're watching the same player. He's the 10th best faceoff man, statistically, in the league right now. His late penalty last night is the only bonehead thing I can think of him doing off the top of my head, and he made up for it with his pinpoint pass to Clarkson on the winner. And perhaps the scariest thing about him is that he keeps getting better.

Honestly, do we have a better all-around forward? We all love Zach, and Zach really is an all-around forward, but he doesn't have the shot and, IMO, isn't quite as good defensively (and that isn't a knock on Zach's defensive skills ... Travis is just that good). Elias is great all-around too, but I feel like his decision-making with the puck isn't as good. Too many times it seems like he passes when he should shoot or he makes no-look passes when no teammates are anywhere near him.

Raw talent-wise, Elias probably gets the nod. When it comes to pure hustle, Zach probably gets it. But as far as the whole package? I'm thinking Zajac, and that opinion just gets stronger with each game I watch. Thoughts?

I would say that Zach is a better forward on an individual level. Raw talent. He's such a strong player in terms of hustle, shooting, and grinding in front of/behind the net. Zajac, I might say, is a better player on a team, or on a line. It's really tough to say which player is better, then. Zach is clutch in shootouts and breakaways, which can decide a game as much as line chemistry can. So in my opinion, it's a toss-up.

he will put jeff carter esque numbers this year.

carter's numbers first 3 years

2005-06 PHI 81 23 19 42 10 40 6 7 2 0 7 189 .122

2006-07 PHI 62 14 23 37 -17 48 3 4 2 1 1 215 .065

2007-08 PHI 82 29 24 53 6 55 7 11 2 1 5 260 .112

zajacs numbers first 3 years

2006-07 NJ 80 17 25 42 1 16 6 6 0 0 2 134 .127

2007-08 NJ 82 14 20 34 -11 31 5 9 0 0 1 155 .090

2008-09 NJ 82 20 42 62 33 29 5 10 1 3 2 185 .108

haha Yeah, maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit. But he improved his game by leaps and bounds last year and so far he looks even better this year. This kid's development has me extremely optimistic about his future, as well as his present. If he was a faster skater, I'd be hard-pressed to find a weakness in his game.

Funny, Derek asked me basically the same thing on the BoNY blog. My response was...not yet. Of course if Zach scores 'only' 40 or less this year and Zajac scores 30+ (which it looks more likely he'll do) then you can make the argument cause they're pretty similar in other aspects - assists, d-coverage, but Zajac has the added plus of being a competent faceoff man.

Edited by Hasan4978

Not sure if He's better than Zach yet, but it will certainly be interesting to see what Zajac turns into. It would be amazing if Zajac could put up 80 points with Parise hopefully putting up 90 again...

I can dream right?

Terrific article and 100% true. That should be required reading for all of the impatient overreactors out there.

Not to hijack the thread, but I would also like to put Clarkson and Greene into the early season impressive category.

And Clarkson getting less than 14 mins a game???

Clarkson has been fantastic in the first few games. He's not a skill player like ZZ, but he's learned to play smart and to do absolutely the most with what he's got. It seems to me he's been present on a lot of the goals so far, whether or not he's actually made the score sheet.

- Jeff