Some Observations About The Tv Coverage

Rock

I've finally calmed down to hopefully articulate my thoughts on ABC's coverage.

First I hope that artsy fartsy director of the opening sequence of the game is fired or at least never does a hockey game again!

Here's what I mean: The puck goes into the Devils zone (I don't remember the actual players so I'll just throw names out there as examples) Regular Cam (RC) Neidermayer gets the puck Skycam (SC) who passes it to White(RC) who skates and passes to Gomez (SC) who skates over red line (RC) then gets to the Duck's blueline (SC) who passes to Elias(RC) who skates a bit (SC) then shoots(RC) and the puck is saved into the mesh (SC).

I was yelling at the TV "I can't watch a game this way", my daughter is telling me to "calm down". Thankfully there was never a sequence like that again.

The interviews in the stands have got to go. As PK alluded to in another post I could give a sh!t about the proposal bet. I could also give a Rat's A$$ about Carney's Triplets, Michelle Kwan etc. Especially since they went too long and the game is back on.

I really hate the giggle fest with JD Thorne and Clement.

Finally, I don't watch the intermission reports, but I caught this gem. They go to Pang at Rinkside I believe it's between the 2nd and 3rd. This Troll actually gets on the air and says "Marty doesn't seem to be having any ill effects to his gaffe in game 3." Hello he played well in the 3rd of that game and up to that point two periods!!! What wonderful inciteful analysis!!!

I'm sure there is more, but these were the one's that really bothered me.

They MUST stick to the conventional camera angle.

Their overhead & the behind the goal view are unwatchable.

They also seem to go to a close up at the wrong time every time.

I just think that Bill, Gary, JD, Darren, John & Chris should just all wear Anaheim caps while doing coverage. It's Sooooo obvious they couldn't be happier when the Dux win.

I actually feel BAD for John Davidison.. he's doing

his best to ADD some credibility to the Thorne and

Thorner love fest in the box.. and he has to cut

them off almost to REMIND them there's a Devils

team out there that hey happens to be pretty

good... I citied about 3 or 4 instances of this in

the recap cause it was driving me INSANE....

esp the one about the Cup going to the Masters

with Oates' and his little golfer friend and

JD all but yelled at them "hey the Devils might

have something to say about that" it was awful !

Those overhead shots are driving me insane. Can't see didly - can't read numbers, can't even see the puck for crying out loud.

If anyone is watching these hockey games, they're certainly not watching them to see what stars are in the crowd or to hear heartwarming stories from various people. And that guy will only propose if the Ducks win? Time to dump him now honey.

I'm sick of Thorne's inability to remember players numbers and names. At least he's now calling Scott Niedermayer "defenseman Niedermayer" - when he can remember that is. I'm sick of Clements idiotic catch phrases.

I want to watch a hockey game. I want to actually see the faceoffs - maybe ABC/ESPN isn't showing them for a reason. :ph34r: I want unbiased reporting. And I want that dippy chick to disappear from the stands. Good god, I thought she was gonna jump that golfer guy (don't watch golf) before the interview ended. And can they please stop jumping from camera to camera? It gives me a headache.

:lol: I was just getting annoyed at some article acting all shocked and indignant because Scott Stevens FORGOT what was going on in the last ten minutes of the game - like he's Ronald Reagan being asked about Iranscam... :rolleyes: They make it so you have to say "that has to be the stupidest question i can think of -- you obviously know nothing about playing ANY sport much less hockey -- or you want me to hand you some bull$!t answer -- that's it though then isn't it?" it's not like it's baseball folks -- you don't have 15 minutes to ponder each move the puck makes! They want you to be rude or pleasant and jokey and completely uninformative. Honest answer or best attempt is the LAST thing they want to hear... then they'd have to think to deeply when coming up with an educated question.

sigh and botheration -- I dispair of the media....

The skycam has to go. First the picture is fuzzy like a movie downloaded off the internet 10 years ago. Second, it induces motion sickness. :puke:

I've been watching the broadcasts in HDTV format and aside from the skycam, the picture quality has been amazing. You can see the entire zone (and then some) due to the widescreen format. It's pretty sweet. :D

Once again espn/abc is doing way too much to entice the non or occassional hockey viewers. What they are really doing is alienating the true hockey fan. The coverage is starting to look like a circus. I'm still waiting for the Darren Pang juggling act in a jesters uniform, or seeing Gary Thorne in the dunk the drunk guy booth.

It's like they are trying to telecast the game for people with a two second attention span with all the camera angle changes. How many scoring chances, or good plays all together have to be missed before they stop doing the three second close ups of players?

The worst part about it is they no they can get away with it.

And I agree about Berman...the guy has no business being there. Try telling that to the espn bufoons though.

You thought ABC was bad. Well CBC is no better. It's like there's only one team playing in this series.

Of course, CBC's hockey coverage is pretty good but in between periods we have Nieds mommy who is telling the world that she wants her other son to win while she holding scott's hand. Then there's a piece with the man who directed the movie The Mighty Ducks.

And then for game 4, Don Cherry was wearing a mighty duck purple jacket. He is on the Anaheim bangwagon. Biased much? And yes, they show us Amy Carney and the triplets and the baby also. And they interview celebs at the game sitting next to that freak Eisner.

As far as I'm concerned, the ducks are nothing more than a happening in Anaheim. Does Jim Belushi actually know what a faceoff and icing is? Does Eisner know anything about hockey? I would like to see the Devils crush them beyond recognition.

You know though ... i would be a little hurt if Kurt Russell was rooting for the Ducks...

I never forgave Russell Crowe for hopping on the Pens bandwagon back in '01. Just 'cause the jackass makes one hockey movie ... <_< talk about kissing the starfish -- jagr's had stubble burn for sure even!

I may never be able to listen to Hotel California again, since I am going to :puke: the next time I hear it during a game.

The most annoying thing about the coverage is that you don't know what is going on during the game. While a faceoff is happening, they're chatting away endlessly with some has-been or bimbo. While a good play is developing, the camera is panning from a mile away or is fixated on a player on the bench. I especially love when they try to show a replay of a save or something, and have to stop because the camera angle they have doesn't capture the play in question. Real bright camera people & technicians they got here, let me tell ya.

I WANT TO SEE THE BLASTED GAME!! Is that too much to ask for??! :burn:

Finally, I don't watch the intermission reports, but I caught this gem. They go to Pang at Rinkside I believe it's between the 2nd and 3rd. This Troll actually gets on the air and says "Marty doesn't seem to be having any ill effects to his gaffe in game 3." Hello he played well in the 3rd of that game and up to that point two periods!!! What wonderful inciteful analysis!!!

You are absolutely right Rock, those reports are anything but insightful but down right inciteful! :angry:

LETS GO DEVILS! TWO MORE WINS!

Berman is just trying to make it exciting for newcomers -- he doesn't sound like he's that into it though - they just don't care enough. No one on that whole broadcast team does. Doc does - that's why he's so good. You get all these bitter neverwas-hasbeens and they just suck!

Really they act like they' polishing a turd even...well except Melrose -- he sounds like he's polishing something else!

When I watch the game on t.v., I don't want to feel like I'm sitting in the nose bleed seats of the arena - get rid of the sky cam already.

Everyone has read my rants on "baseball announcer" thorne and "everything revolves around when I played with bobby clark in philly" clement, so I won't waste any more time on that.

But the berman thing, what the F----! I barely watch football (for the last 10-15 years or so) anymore, and I think berman and his idotic names and crap had something to do with it. Please espn/abc, don't f-up hockey for me by making me listen to this a-hole. By the way, I know there are a lot of football fans in here as well, do you guys actually like berman idiotic, half-brained no coherent thought rants and name games? I've never understood the appeal of this guy or how he has stuck around so long. Is it something only the no-neck too much testosterone and steroids guys get?

Also, I guess it all has to be placed in perspective. Disney owns the ducks, Disney owns abc. Disney owns ESPN. In effect, Eisner is signing these bozo's checks, so they all sit there kissing up to his sorry A$$ and making the ducks and gidget or whatever his name is, out to be the greatest thing since the canadians of the late 60's and 70's.

With t.v. coverage like this, it's no wonder the ratings are so low.

Hey derek, if you're still working for espn, print out some of these comments and get them to your bosses, I'm sure we're not the only bunch of folks who feel this way.

the extra angles are good for replays occaisionally, but terrible for live action.

and the reason for the overlap with the interviews, aside from the fact that there's really no other time to do it, is that tv is hoping for a goal to happen during the interview to garner a reaction. what would be terrible about that though is that there would be no commentary leading up to it.

Skycam and that stuff should only be use for replays.

but there are far too many cuts, behind the net, side view, neutral zone side view etc etc.

but it could be a lot worse, remember camera angles at the LA forum where the god damn FANS HEADS would get in the way of the camera, I hated that!

I prefere a lower view, more level to the ice. I think CBC has it.

the finals is when the networks like to test there gadgets.

I concur with everything stated already (I'm not a big fan of the ESPN/ABC school of inside jokes/look at me broadcasting). In addition I'm watching the game in HD, and while the picture quality on closeups are excellent the main camera leaves a bit to be desired (when contrasted with other broadcasts I've seen).

ABC has also been mixing in a bunch of SD upconverted shots that look like trash, particularly the camera on the zip-line and above the penalty boxes. I did notice that the camera under the scoreboard is in HD (they only used it once the other night that I can recall). They should use this camera instead the zip-line one to get similiar shots, since it can be rotated 360 degrees.

More importantly than all of this I want to see the Devils win in HD.

:P

Thorne and Clement make me sick. The reasons have already been stated by other posters. But, when hands of Cement said "we all know who we want to win" at the start of game 3 overtime, I wanted to scream. I felt the same way in 2001. I can't remember who it was, it might have been Buccigross, who said that "nobody wants the Devils to win except Devils fans". I'm sick of ESPN/ABC making the other team the sentimental favorite with their sappy stories. Of course the average joe who doesn't really watch hockey is gonna be swayed to root for the good guy Ducks. Not the bad guy Devils who skate past the other bench and laugh :rolleyes: . I am so burned up right now. Eisner is a friggen idiot and DOES NOT DESERVE his name on the most famous/historic trophy in sports. If the Ducks win and his name is on the cup, I will go the the HHF and scratch his name off. He isn't the owner. He sucks, Disney sucks, Thorne, Clement, Pang, Levy, and Ryan suck. JD is the only one I can handle right now. At least he has watched some Devils games and is trying to be unbiased. I don't mind the crowd interviews. But are they gonna interview Carol Nieds every game? Sheesh. If my two kids were playing for the cup I would not say I was rooting for one or the other. To me that is like answering which kid is your favorite. There is a way to get around the question. I wish Brad and Jennifer or J-Lo and Ben or some other a-list celebs were Devils fans. Then maybe we wouldn't have to have Joe Piscapo be our only celeb fan and maybe get some respect. UGGGGGH, I think I am done overreacting now. :P