Touch The Trophy!

kenrock

Not sure if this subject has been posted or not since the finals are over, but I know it has been discussed here. Maybe Kariya should have touched/grabbed/carried the Campbell trophy. So much for superstitions, huh? Thorne was making all over the fact that Scotty touched and then carried off the Wales trophy in Ottawa. I think that superstition (not touching the conference trophy) is so stupid...I am all for superstitions (have many of my own, especially when it comes to Devils hockey), but ignoring and outright turning your back on a trophy and just leaving there on the table is almost like poor sportsmenship. Any thoughts?

R&R

Go Devils!

16 down! 0 to go! UNTIL NEXT YEAR! :evil:

I don't think it's poor sportsmanship. If it's what you think it's what you think.

For me, since January, I've been tossing away stupidstitions like bathwater. Since then, I've been saying this team is above them.

So I have rituals... but nothing that I must do for them to win. It's very freeing.

And really... could wearing certain underwear in Florida make them win in Jersey? ;)

LONG LIVE TEAM HEART!

In Philly in 2000 and this year in Ottawa, Stevens and the team proudly, and rightly, celebrated winning the Conference Trophy.

They should, it's a deserved accomplishment.

I used to like Thorne, but he blew that, the conference clinching goal, and so much more.

Jimmy I've hated thorne for awhile...he like his partner is jsut so anti NJ. and he is horrible at calling games, his one job is to know the names and he cannot even do that!!!

Philly Billy hates the Devils. It is so obvious (someone from ABC/ESPN should really pull him aside and talk to him about toning it down). His anger/bitterness shown through with the "no class" comment regarding Devils fans booing Giguere. Whatever dude. He deserved to get booed. Both Marty and Mad Dog deserved it more IMHO.

I probably have ten superstitions prior to and during games and even more once the playoffs start - too detailed to go into here, but for many, you get the idea. Suffice to say that crazily, I buy into this superstition stuff.

If you recall, back in 2000 (and I believe in 1995 too) Stevens did, in fact touch the conference trophy, though he did not carry it around and pose with it like he did this year. Simply the fact that he touched it in those prior years and we won the Cup says to me that it was OK to touch it this year. If he hadn't touched it in prior years, and touched it this year - of course, I would have been worried.

Thorne' job is more than just describing what he sees. He has to listen to feeds from engineers and producers at the same time as he is talking. He has to phase in intros for commercials, etc. It is not as easy as it looks.

He just isn't very good at it.

I probably have ten superstitions prior to and during games and even more once the playoffs start - too detailed to go into here, but for many, you get the idea. Suffice to say that crazily, I buy into this superstition stuff.

If you recall, back in 2000 (and I believe in 1995 too) Stevens did, in fact touch the conference trophy, though he did not carry it around and pose with it like he did this year. Simply the fact that he touched it in those prior years and we won the Cup says to me that it was OK to touch it this year. If he hadn't touched it in prior years, and touched it this year - of course, I would have been worried.

I guess it could be a superstition both ways then, no? Don't touch it so you don't jinx chances for the Cup -or- Touch it so you solidify your chances for the Cup? I dunno. To me, it is a question of doing something or not doing something. Touching it or turning away from it? I argued this before with the point that why then do they pass out Conference champs hats and t-shirts? Maybe Kariya didn't take a hat or t-shirt, either...then at least he would be consistent.

Thorne' job is more than just describing what he sees. He has to listen to feeds from engineers and producers at the same time as he is talking. He has to phase in intros for commercials, etc. It is not as easy as it looks.

He just isn't very good at it.

Point I understand that...but first and foremosat he should know the players names...listen to any game and he gets the names wrong all the time..its a friggin joke, and all series he'd say neids has the puck...which friggin one there were 2 of them!!!

I don't mind superstitions etc...hmm.. part of me thinks while most fans are understanding and want to hold with superstition as much as a player -- it's a little I don't want to say selfish to turn your back on the conference trohpy.

I just think it's appropriate to share the victory of your conference final with the fans. Ignoring it -- i understand what you mean kenrock -- it definately devalues your teams accomplishment and may alienate the fans from the victory as well. It may be all they've got - why not enjoy it even with the knowledge that another bigger goal is ahead?

It's sort of a sad thing to gloss over milesstones just because you've got your eye on the next one, you know?

oh and Thorne is knobby at best... I liked his one little Burns thing this year. I'm not fond of the way he calls a game. But he's not terrible either.

Funny maybe Levy was so sh!tty because he was covering the fact he was rooting for the Devils the whole time. Over compensating with ducktail kissing and not saying anything at all as opposed to saying you LOVE the devils style and think the Ducks blow and have miles to go before they truly understand the system they're playing! nto thousands of miles mind you -- but I'm nt convinced these guys really know what they're doing yet. the Devils understadn what they're doing - it's intentional

I'm going off on a tangent aren't I...and crediting LEVY of all morons with my thoughts...sigh....

Busy day at work :)

Jimmy I've hated thorne for awhile...he like his partner is jsut so anti NJ. and he is horrible at calling games, his one job is to know the names and he cannot even do that!!!

Philly Billy hates the Devils. It is so obvious (someone from ABC/ESPN should really pull him aside and talk to him about toning it down). His anger/bitterness shown through with the "no class" comment regarding Devils fans booing Giguere. Whatever dude. He deserved to get booed. Both Marty and Mad Dog deserved it more IMHO.

Oh Billy from Philly is the biggest hypocrite going! Like the fans of his former team would not have booed in that situation? I don't need to defend my actions but personally I was disappointed at the hockey writers, not mad at Giguere. I guess the fans from Tampa, Ottawa & Anaheim who heckled Marty about his personal life didn't lose face for being so crude.

Did I read that right? Levy said positive things about the Devils? It seems like just yesterday he said that the Senators are such a more entertaining team to watch than the Devils.

Then we have Pang. This guy should become a lawyer. He defended Giguere on every goal against in the finals.

If you need to find some thing worse than the officiating throughout the playoffs, you don't need to look further than the ABC/ESPN broadcasters. Maybe Kerry Fraser will be working with them next season.

Stevens barely got NEAR it in 2001 also (I remember being there, and him avoiding it like it had some disease or something)... I like it better when they celebrate WITH it, it's sometimes the better thing to appreciate the journey and the struggle to get there, especially when EVERYONE but Lou felt this was a transition year for us and lo and behold it was the transition from good team that didn't always live up to the potential to DYNASTY :D