2003 Playoff Superstitions

Turner Factor

I know I had about 20 or so, from boxers, to the color shirt i wore under my jersey, not wearing a belt, the stained grungie jersey that had to be put on 5 minutes before entering the arena, no sooner other then just the ride up, when available, and most importantly (it never failed) my fiancee and I being in seats 8 and 9 of row 22 in section 18 (may sound odd, but we had 7 seats in that row so we actually split up a couple to stay true when we were down 1-0 in game 5 when we weren't in our correct seats, forced the change...the rest is history. those are just a couple, let's hear yours....

I was in the lot with many of you, and in 217 and 218 with the rest, so dont tell me you don't/ didn't have any

the only really nutty ones I had was:

1. home games one cappuccino per period per playoff game (let's not talk of how SICK I got from this in the 3 OT game when I had SEVEN in one night :P )

2. Cell phone.. someone.... ANYONE.. as long as I was babbling on the phone we did well....

3. Pizza Uno's in Seacaucus before the game

4. Same home Madden jersey I'm wearing tomorrow.

for me that's a short list compared to past years !

For all the home games, I wore the same everything, undies, socks, bra, 2000 Stanley Cup Champs tshirt under my home Peluso jersey, same earings, same Devils Necklace, same 2000 Stanley Cup Champs Hat, Had to have a beer before I sat in my seat, always had my towel in the same pocket, never opened my thundersticks, always had them in the same pocket, money in the same pocket, You name it I did it, Very Weird I know, but I did it in 95 and 00, but not in 01 :angry: . Ratty :evil:

I am highly superstituous. Although I resisted everything this year, especially since I went overboard with them in 2001... :( .

So my superstition this year was to resist all superstitions. If that makes sense...if i felt eating a particular thing was going to make a difference, I didnt eat it. If I felt wearing a hat, shirt etc would help...I didnt wear it.

It was difficult resisting after having won those 3 in a row in Ottawa. But I suceeded :)

I have too many to count - at least 20, and I could go through each of them but it would be too long of a post. They involve day of game rituals, jersey rituals, parking lot rituals, walking to the stadiul rituals, entering the gate, pregame, in-game, and post game rituals.

I'll leave you with the best one. I'll just say that I have "my" urinal at the bathroom at the arena. I've only gone in that specific one for 20 years. If there is a full wall of empty urinals and one person using mine, I'll wait.

Let someone top that one!

I refer to my black-colored Devils lid as the evolution cap because it has the following pins on it: K.C. Scouts; Colorado Rockies; N.J. Devils and then the '95 and '00 Stanley Cup pins.

Generally, I alternate between this cap and one of my red-colored NJ caps on playoff game-days. I wore the evolution cap three times during the Finals and New Jersey lost all three times -- it is now officially retired.

Not coincidentally, I wore the red cap for game seven.

My biggest superstition? It is absolutely necessary for me to watch every Devils playoff game at home ... over the previous three playoff seasons, everytime I found myself in a sports bar or a pal's house, New Jersey lost the game -- this superstition is set in stone.

If only I had stayed home for the sixth game of the finals back in 2001!

Crash, you forgot the Game 7 Away Haircuts!!! or is that Game 7 Haircuts Against Canadian teams ;)

I forsook SO many stupidstitions this year cause the team was above them.

But RITUALS are fine. ;)

For two rounds, I ordered mozzarella caprese before every game. Boy, I couldn't deal with it anymore by the end of the Finals.

I had three pairs of jeans in game-day rotation. One went away after some poor back-to-back performances.

I never wear one of my jerseys for a game I watch on TV, but I always wear one of my many Devils shirts.

When my friend comes over to watch the game with me, they always lose (she was over for Game 6). We both realized that come Game 7 and we watched at our own houses.

Then if I ever drop a bar of soap on game day, they lose. Also, if I saw a duck(s) on game day, that meant the Devils would win and if it was on a non-game day, they would lose.

I'm very superstitious...I refuse to wear my jerseys except when I'm at the game, and at that I would *only* wear my Nieuwendyk jersey. Whenever I wore my Madden jersey during the past few playoff years, the Devils would lose.

When I'm at home, I ALWAYS wore my River Rats practice wear sweatshirt during the ENTIRE game. I'd also sit in the SAME seat every time, and I refused to let anyone else sit where I was. And if I wasn't at the game, I made sure I was HOME and nowhere else, because the few times I watched the game at a friend's place, a party, or anywhere else, they'd lose.

There's a mix CD I made too, and I played it in it's entirety before the game, and I also listening to the enter Deja Entendu by Brand New cd as well.

There are a few more, but I won't name them :)

One of many I have is after a home game is to throw away the ticket. This really isn't a playoff ritual but comes into play since I attend so many games in a short order of time. The only ones I keep are the first home game of each round which is stapled to the corresponding program for that series and one unused ticket[or in special circumstances used] to put on a wall in my basement. This year I get to put Round 4 Home Game 4 up on the wall. B)

Most of my superstitions don't last very long anyway :lol: Actually they're probably more rituals than actual superstitions; I don't know where you draw the line on both ;)

One consistent one is putting a miniature version of the Cup on top of my TV at the start of the playoffs.

Another one (irrespective of playoffs/regular season) is I CANNOT listen to the game on the radio under any circumstances. This one started back in '99 when I had to miss the first part of Game 7 against Pittsburgh then the SECOND I turned Miller and Velishek on, Kovalev scores, 2-1 Pens, you know the rest. Since then the Devs have bit every single time I turned on the radio. So when I didn't go to games I pretty much had to listen to the ESPN homers no matter what (though I was desperate enough to listen to a online OTTAWA radio station that was two minutes behind real time for Game 7; that worked) :P

Another one that I adopted going to the games this year was cleaning up my room before I left to go to the game. I wore one shirt to my first two games of the playoffs (Games 4 and 6 against Ottawa), then wore my 2000 Cup shirt for the 2003 Cup Finals; it was a good fit as we went 3-0 with me there ;)

crasher, you really have the media pass, thought you were joking!!!!

He is an a$$!

Oh he certainly does have the media pass; I saw it up close at the parade (the only one of you I did meet today) ;)

(Sorry I wasn't more the life of the party Crasher; like I've said on the board I have been sick the last week - though somewhat better today, and you weren't around all THAT long anyway :lol: )

crasher, you really have the media pass, thought you were joking!!!!

He is an a$$!

Oh he certainly does have the media pass; I saw it up close at the parade (the only one of you I did meet today) ;)

I walked around that parking lot at least three times. So I've must have eyeballed some members here, I just didn't realize it. :rolleyes: