Where Will Nieuwy End Up As Of Tuesday?

sheeps

38 members have voted

1. 1. Where Will Nieuwy End Up As Of Tuesday?

• New Jersey Devils
    • Toronto Maple Leafs
    • Other - please specify in post

It's poll time, baby.

In two days we shall know: where will Nieuwy be?

Will he stay with his Stanley Cup brethren?

-OR-

Will he reunite with his buddy Roberts?

...or somewhere else?

I think he's pretty happy here, being he is four hours from home (Ithaca, NY) and on a winning team.

But will his old buddy get a visit?

VOTE TODAY - TUNE IN TUESDAY!

Toronto needs some PR after losing in the 1st round this year. After acquiring Nolan, Wesley, Housley, and Gilmour at the deadline and watching them all get injured, Toronto fans must be mighty skeptical.. Stand Pat lost his reputation but the band of retreads he dragged into town paraded into the hospital instead of down Yonge Street.

I think they'll make a pitch for Nieuwendyk and perhaps Leetch. They will avoid Hatcher. The Leafs are an older team, and a lockout might send veterans like Roberts and Belfour to retirement. Mogilny only has 2 years remaining on his contract, and others are not signed for long.. it's now or perhaps never for the Leafs, and with the stable of prospects they've developed, I can't imagine them sitting on them next deadline.. so they'll sign Nieuwendyk, trade Travis Green and probably Darcy Tucker and Aki Berg and try to get rid of some of the silly contracts they've staked themselves to. Deadline 2004 should be even more ridiculous than this one, with teams trying to unload any contract just to stay solvent after the labor impasse, but Toronto won't have that problem..

There has been a lot of talk about how the leafs wont be out spending money this summer so even a pitch to leetch may be far fetched.

Honestly i really hope NEwy stays here he is a good fit and this team cannot replace him from within. His departure would leave a hole at center that we dont have a guy to fill. I dont think Rupp can handle the 2nd line for 82 games. We need him back.

All signs seem to be pointing out the door for Nieuwy. It's almost a certainty another club will offer a bigger contract than what Lou offers. The decision will be solely Joe's. I'm sure the Devs want to keep him, but will not make it a top priority.

If Nieuwy truly likes it here, and truly wants to stay he will. My honest guess is he won't.

All signs seem to be pointing out the door for Nieuwy. It's almost a certainty another club will offer a bigger contract than what Lou offers. The decision will be solely Joe's. I'm sure the Devs want to keep him, but will not make it a top priority.

If Nieuwy truly likes it here, and truly wants to stay he will. My honest guess is he won't.

Beck, its a sellers market prodominatly. Teams are trying to dump money rather than add up money before the CBA. So for him to look for a huge contract won't be as likely, but theres always an exception to the rule which is the NY rangers.

the only chance the devils have at resigning him is if he really doesn't care about money and location isn't a big deal for him. that is, he's willing to stay in jersey for a while, probably to help tutor the incoming group of forwards that lou will want to bring in soon. we all know lou is not gonna match funds with any team that makes an offer to nieuwendyk.

I think he'll wind up somewhere out west. Prolly with a young team looking for vet leadership. He's not the mucker, grinding Eastern conference kind of guy. Maybe back to calgary to finish hios career?? yotes maybe?

Vince

as much as I want him to stay in a devils sweater and retire from nj in 4 years from now, if i was a betting man i'd have to put my money on a san jose or l.a. stealing him from us - I don't think the candian teams have the money to offer him, i don't see him fitting in boston, philly etc., but i could see him going to a western team looking for a leader type to groom their younger guys.

Aren't some of his old stars teammates up in montreal now on the coaching and admin side of things? (where did guy carbineu end up). Also, Gainey is up there, if memory serves me correctly, he's the one that signed joe away from calgary.

of course, I was out late drinking last night, so I really wouldn't trust my memory or any other thoughts coming from my hung over head right now.

Carbineau is in the Stars organization right now.

Also he wasnt signed away from Calgary. The Stars got him for Iginla mostly. THere may bave been other players involved but he was the big return.

Carbonneau was an assistant coach in Montreal. He was unhappy living there because his youngest daughter had spent most of her school years in the US, learning in English. She was going into high school and the Quebec gov't was forcing them to send her to a French-speaking school because both her parents are Frech-Canadien. So he went back to Dallas when they offered him the player-personel job.

Dallas 'only' sent Iginla to Calgary for Newy. Turned out nicely for Calgary, though.

ahh yes, as the day drags on my mind starts to recover, i remember the story well, hab's fans were stoked that guy was "coming home", unfortunately, after some time apart, guy found that you CAN'T always go home.

As for the iginla/nieuwee deal, I'd say it worked out better for dallas (joe won the conn smythe as he led them to a cup victory), although, the calgary fans did at least get a player who can be very exciting to watch on the ice.

Actually, it was Iginla & Corey Millen for Joe. So far, I think the trade remains in Dallas' favor. They wouldn't have the Cup without Joe.

As for where Joe ends up, I really do believe he wants to stay in New Jersey, and if Lou will offer him a decent deal he'll take it. If Lou won't even make an offer, what's Joe supposed to do - beg?

One of today's articles said that he hired an agent. I don't know if that's good or bad, but it's obvious at this point that he's going to test the market.

Whatever happens, I hope it's quick.

:(