Who should the devils be looking at on UFA Market?

Devs3cups

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was just confirmed that Lombardi, Michalek and Stempniak will all become UFAs (http://twitter.com/kausatoday).

Maybe Lombardi, but with Arnott I think the Devils pass over him. I honestly feel like Lou might think he is set on offense, and he will try to sign Kovalchuk but whether he does or not I think he may like our top 6 enough but work on the bottom 6. I think this is how Lou may see the lineup like this:

Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunner

Elias-Arnott-Clarkson

(Insert Player)-Zubrus-Rolston

Peters/Leblonde/Pandawful-Pelley-(Insert Player)

I think right wing may be the position to look at but there aren't many options that are high in quality. There is Demitra, Afinogenov (kill me on both options), Stempniak among others but I don't see anyone fitting in. I kind of feel like Lou will get a cheap center and plus him as the wing on the fourth line. For the third line left wing, there is Modin, Frolov, Pinkarovsky but maybe Raffi Torres fits if the price is right, which means around or lower than his 2.25 salary last season.

If Kovalchuk is somehow re-signed, I don't know how the lineup will look. The secone line could be Kovalchuk-Elias-Arnott but there is no way Lou is using the center he finally acquired as a right wing with Elias at the center again. They could all shuffle around and split time with the top C-LW combinations but that seems like a bad idea.

Overall I don't expect too much change on offense.

On defense I think there could be some change. I would love it if the Devils could sign Pavel Kubina, I think he could bring a new dynamic to the defense. The defense may look a bit like this right now:

White-(Insert)

Salvador-Greene

Corrente-(Insert)

Extra - Fraser, Salmela.

This all rides on Martin being re-signed. Who knows how much he will cost if he does stay but I will go hypothetically here for the sake of thought. I would skip over Gonchar as he is reported to be requesting a 4 year deal, which I would not give to him at 37 because of his injury history (not as atrocious as some like to believe) and the fact he is looking at the 5 million dollar range. I question is anyone will give him that honestly - so it may come down but maybe only to 3 years. I would like Michalek, I think he makes sense but at the same time the Devils need players who could shoot the puck from the blue line. Overall, I think Kubina is the best option but at 33 I don't know what sort of contract he is expecting.

Please no Belanger. Belanger is just awful, he's just like Niedermayer. We would get more out of Josefson.

While I don't see Belanger as comparable to Nieds (Belanger is a lock for 35 points as a 3rd line center), I don't think the Devils are looking to sign another center. Don't be surprised if we hold on to Nieds and wait to see how far Josefsen can make it next year.

On the other hand if we aren't going to make another big signing outside of Martin, then might as well get a guy like Belanger and forget Nieds.

Edited by ben00rs

I have a feeling that Lou will wait till the last second with Parise. It seems to be what he does with free agents.

I think he'll wait until after the free agency frenzy slows down to see what our cap situation is for the next couple of seasons and then he'll talk to Parise.

You think its funny, but if it happens, like I said before, he's going to kill all of us. :P

1. I KNOW it's funny :P

2. This old goalie could defend himself just fine... and Manta would wince and fold like his hero Langen-ginna-er :P

I think we should try to keep Martin and sign Hamhuis but if we can't keep Martin then maybe we should go for Michalek as well or try to get a trade cuz right now our D is looking bad even with Martin on the roster.

Edited by SS-SS

If we need to get 2 dmen, I would try to pick up Kubina as our second guy, maybe 3 years 4mil per.

Slight overpayment, but that's the FA market. He's been on bad teams his whole career (except the TB cup year, a year he scored 17 goals btw). I'd like to see what he does on a good team.

If we need to get 2 dmen, I would try to pick up Kubina as our second guy, maybe 3 years 4mil per.

Slight overpayment, but that's the FA market. He's been on bad teams his whole career (except the TB cup year, a year he scored 17 goals btw). I'd like to see what he does on a good team.

I'm big on Kubina, I'd say Kubina and Hamhuis if Martin and Kovalchuk move on.