Non-Devils Signings

DaneykoIsGod

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so the hawks decided to match san jose's offer and retained hjalmarsson.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=327374

anyone else starting to wonder if they're in over their heads with the cap here?

Actually, after all the trades they've made recently they're doing okay. And having Kane, Toews, Hossa, Keith and Campbell signed long term is not bad. They have a few more RFAs but they're not as bad as they were last season.

Though I personally think they should have just let Hjarlmarsson go for the picks.

they still have a little work today and after this latest signing, they're back in over their heads again. granted, they can pretend huet never existed by banishing him to the ahl, but they still have quite a few players to get under contract -- and i'm sorry but i'm still not sold on niemi.

team paid a huge price for a few poor/mismanaged contracts. granted, they got a cup out of it so i'd say it was still worth it. plus, they've been able to get some decent prospects out of their trades so they're not so terrible off. definitely not a powerhouse right now though.

Actually, after all the trades they've made recently they're doing okay. And having Kane, Toews, Hossa, Keith and Campbell signed long term is not bad. They have a few more RFAs but they're not as bad as they were last season.

Though I personally think they should have just let Hjarlmarsson go for the picks.

if Campbell could ever sniff the way he played in his second to last year with Buffalo, they wouldnt be kicking themsevles in the ass for jumping into that pool with a blank check. Soupy really needs to get himself back to the fast-paced, RJ Umberger KO-ing defender he used to be.

That hit by Campbell was such a freak play. Didn't LOTCB come out right away and say that it was an anomaly for Campbell to be that kind of defenseman?

But yeah, that hit gave him a reputation, and then he went and posted 62 points the next season... people thought he was the real deal. I remember lots of discussion on this board about how great it would be to sign Campbell as a new cornerstone for the Devils' defense (not everyone was in agreement, of course, but it was a lively discussion). The Blackhawks simply overpaid, plain and simple.

And more to the point, backing up RD's thoughts, Chicago's clearly got its work cut out... $113K in cap space with 9 forwards, 5 defensemen (who the crap is John Scott?), and 1 goalie under contract. Even if they fill internally with players like Beach and Vishnevsky, they need to clear cap space.

Miko Koivu apparently signed an extension, 7 years $47.25 million, AAV $6.75 million.

Way too much, if you ask me. Will unfortunately make Parise all that much more expensive.

I actually don't believe it's too much. This guy is the real deal and keeps getting better as he gets older. He is a true center and and a strong leader. The Wild didn't want to even entertain the possibility of losing him. Also, I predict a big year for him, something in the 80 point range. 6.75 is maybe a little much but I don't believe it will come back to haunt them.

Koivu is a great player, but $6.75 cap hit per year is a bit much for what he's done so far. I think he has the potential to be an 80-point player if he has more offensive talent surrounding him. But this signing was done out of necessity... they already lost Rolston (we mock, but he was a popular player for Minnesota) and obviously losing Gaborik was big (especially since Havlat was crap for the first half of the year). If they had lost Koivu, too, I think some of even the most loyal fans would have turned away in disgust.

Daniel, to your point, I don't think Parise and Koivu will be directly compared. Parise's forte is scoring goals, while Koivu's is setting them up. Koivu and Zajac are similar players; taking Koivu's first 4 seasons in the league - he's had one more than Zajac - he put up .65 points/game to Zajac's .63 points/game.

With that being said, they're different in that one is the franchise player while one is not... so Koivu receiving $6.75mil/year is much more palatable to Wild fans than Zajac getting $6.75mil/year would be for most Devils fans.

That's an atrocious deal anyway you look at it. Just way too much money for Koivu.

it's not, koivu is way more valuable than you think, and 6.75M for a center is way less money than you think. it's not a great deal, but it's a fine deal.

Edited by Triumph

it's not, koivu is way more valuable than you think, and 6.75M for a center is way less money than you think. it's not a great deal, but it's a fine deal.

Exactly. As I said, it might be a little much but this won't come back to haunt them. He's a potential 80 point player, he's the real deal and he's a CENTER! He's also the captain. The Wild couldn't let this guy go. It's also a good omen to pay your young captain nicely.

If we didn't have Kovy I'd take him for 6.75 on the Devils in a heartbeat.

Edited by ben00rs

Wow, talk about firepower on Tampa. Lecavalier, Stamkos, St. Louis, and Gagne. This may be the best top four in the league now.

It's gonna be a dangerous Offense for sure. They may be too commited to firepower though and not enough to the shields.

There were rumors that there could be other teams involved going after Kovy, you think the Lightning might have been one of them? Or were the Flyers waiting for Kovy to sign to offer Gagne up to the loser before sealing the deal with the Lightning?

We'll never know, but either scenario is possible.