New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

Not pissed that this went on for so long...this thread has been worth it. Think of all the things we would have missed out on if he had signed the first day. Ninja girl didn't even show her backside until, what, after page 150?

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, now that this mercenary (and that's exactly what he is, folks) has one foot out the door and another on a plane to LA....

Time to go get a PMD.

However, in losing this mercenary, the Devils are not as good of a team as they were "yesterday". People seem to forget that's the reason why Kovalchuk was brought here to begin with. With no PMD they'll be worse, too. This offense, as is, will be needing help again unless LL is not done "reshaping" the forwards. I think he is based on his some of his comments made in the past. What's the over/under on when LL is working the phones trying to find another winger? December?

Expecting two 1st year pros to crack the roster and contribute is asking alot. Elias, Langenbrunner and Rolston are a year older. Can Zharkov go from nothing to 10-15 goals? Can Elias/Arnott find some more magic? Those are just some questions.

Like him or hate him, put Kovalchuk in the top 6 and this team looks pretty good. Subtract him and all of a sudden they don't look as good.

In the end, give LL and the Devils credit for sticking it out with this mercenary for 10 days. This is something i'd never thought i'd see the day where LL would do this for any FA, ever. The Devils will feel this loss and that was the fear factor in sticking in this long, in my opinion.

BTW...that whole 17 yrs./100 million or whatever scenario stuff. Pure fantasy.

I wonder if satansdevils/Ray is going to come on here and man up? I'm not flipping through 100 pages back, but i'm pretty sure he said he would if he was found "wrong".

Alright, I just got back from work at so let me give my 2 cents:

My best guess is that the Kings announce they have signed Kovy tommorow.

No matter what happens, no one can deny now that Kovy wants to be a King. He clearly is reaching out to them.

If the signing is announced it's time to get a top 4 PMD and another cheap forward.

I know some are bitter on here, but best of luck to Kovy (if he does sign with LA)...no hard feelings here. They guy didn't send us on this wild goose chase over these past days just for the fun of it. He had a decision to make, but also knew what he wanted.

At least it's the Kings...I would be pissed if it were the Rangers or may even the Isles.

Edited by mmajeski06

Alright, now that this mercenary (and that's exactly what he is, folks) has one foot out the door and another on a plane to LA....

Time to go get a PMD.

However, in losing this mercenary, the Devils are not as good of a team as they were "yesterday". People seem to forget that's the reason why Kovalchuk was brought here to begin with. With no PMD they'll be worse, too. This offense, as is, will be needing help again unless LL is not done "reshaping" the forwards. I think he is based on his some of his comments made in the past. What's the over/under on when LL is working the phones trying to find another winger? December?

Expecting two 1st year pros to crack the roster and contribute is asking alot. Elias, Langenbrunner and Rolston are a year older. Can Zharkov go from nothing to 10-15 goals? Can Elias/Arnott find some more magic? Those are just some questions.

Like him or hate him, put Kovalchuk in the top 6 and this team looks pretty good. Subtract him and all of a sudden they don't look as good.

Although adding Volchenkov was great, you're right we need another signing or two. We could use a top 4 PMD, but a top 6 guy wouldn't kill us with all the d-men we have.

Josefsen definitely cracks the starting lineup out of necessity, don't know about Tedenby. Elias/Arnott finding magic will define our season. We sink if they fail to continue where they left off.

I believe beyond the shadow of a doubt Zharkov scores at least 10 goals and 15-20 assists. He needs to score early on in the season to make sure he doesn't get depressed and lose his confidence.

I'm sure J Mac wass excited to form a PP around Kovy, but maybe this is a good thing. Maybe now he can build a more team oriented PP without the pressure of finding a place for Kovy.

Def give credit to Lou for chasing Kovy until the end.

Kovalchuk seems like a good fit on the Kings. I'd love to see our cap space go to D anyway.

Cap space? What Cap space?

Edited by ben00rs

Although adding Volchenkov was great, you're right we need another signing or two. We could use a top 4 PMD, but a top 6 guy wouldn't kill us with all the d-men we have.

Josefsen definitely cracks the starting lineup out of necessity, don't know about Tedenby. Elias/Arnott finding magic will define our season. We sink if they fail to continue where they left off.

I believe beyond the shadow of a doubt Zharkov scores at least 10 goals and 15-20 assists. He needs to score early on in the season to make sure he doesn't get depressed and lose his confidence.

I'm sure J Mac wass excited to form a PP around Kovy, but maybe this is a good thing. Maybe now he can build a more team oriented PP without the pressure of finding a place for Kovy.

Def give credit to Lou for chasing Kovy until the end.

Cap space? What Cap space?

I think Josefsen and Tedenby get every chance to stick with the NHL team. I believe they have the option of returning to Sweden if they don't make the NHL roster. Also, I expect Taormina to get a look in some pre-season games. And please, please, please play Frazee in the pre-season so we can see how he does against NHL shooters!

Not signing Kovy leaves some room to give Parise the deal he deserves in a year. Which should be a top priority, hands down. Kovy leaving also gives the Devils young players a chance, which was the NJ managements plan the entire time. It gives these players a chance to step up, and some of the AHL'ers had great seasons in the AHL, even though they don't seem to make the playoffs often. The only thing that I regret from the entire Kovy situation is that we lost Bergfors. Who I thought was a very good prospect after I saw him play. IMHO

I think Josefsen and Tedenby get every chance to stick with the NHL team. I believe they have the option of returning to Sweden if they don't make the NHL roster. Also, I expect Taormina to get a look in some pre-season games. And please, please, please play Frazee in the pre-season so we can see how he does against NHL shooters!

They're under contract with the Devils now, so I think they go where Lou tells them to go (and I think he might only get to tell them to go the Devils or Albany).

And while it's always exciting to see what the young players can do, I wouldn't get my hopes up about Josefson/Tedenby/Urborn if they make the team. You can't expect more than 15 goals/35 points from either Josefson or Tedenby in their rookie seasons. And if Urborn is as good as Fraser was last year minus the very conspicuous f'ups, I would be satisfied.

Not signing Kovy leaves some room to give Parise the deal he deserves in a year. Which should be a top priority, hands down. Kovy leaving also gives the Devils young players a chance, which was the NJ managements plan the entire time. It gives these players a chance to step up, and some of the AHL'ers had great seasons in the AHL, even though they don't seem to make the playoffs often. The only thing that I regret from the entire Kovy situation is that we lost Bergfors. Who I thought was a very good prospect after I saw him play. IMHO

Agree 100%.

It is too bad we lost Bergfors, but it was a gamble worth taking at the time.

And so far as PMDs, who else is out there? People talk about Kaberle, but are you willing to give up Clarkson for him, because I can guarantee you that's what Burke would be asking for.

While they're not Scott Niedermeyer, Greene, if he doesn't regress, and Tallinder, apparently, are good enough at moving the puck. (And for all the hype Martin is getting, I'm sorry, the guy wasn't anything special.) When you tally up all of the PMDs in the league, if you have two on your team, that's not bad.

And while it's always exciting to see what the young players can do, I wouldn't get my hopes up about Josefson/Tedenby/Urborn if they make the team. You can't expect more than 15 goals/35 points from either Josefson or Tedenby in their rookie seasons. And if Urborn is as good as Fraser was last year minus the very conspicuous f'ups, I would be satisfied.

This is completely true. The point is, Josefsen will make the team and Tedenby has a great shot at it.

it's disappointing, to be sure - kovalchuk is one of my favorite players to watch, and it's a minor miracle that new jersey got him in the first place. but it would've probably taken draft picks from 2011 and 2012 to get him and keep him here. but there's a lot to not like about kovalchuk's game and a long contract with a guy like this could be trouble. it's a shame, because getting kovalchuk would've vaulted this team into legitimate cup contention. probably. sour grapes would post this article by gabe desjardins about kovalchuk: is kovalchuk worth it?

wrt tallinder's puck moving abilities - he's smart with his first pass. he's not anything special in the offensive zone and he cannot play the power play. whether the devils go internal with their PP QB search with taormina, eckford, and salmela, or branch out - they certainly need one.

Edited by Triumph

Tallinder, at the very core, is not a true PMD. He's a guy that can make a solid pass out of the zone and that is not the only thing a true PMD should be albe to do. If you're expecting him to go end to end, take the puck into the offensive zone or even through the neutral zone from his own zone with consistency then you'll be dissapointed. If they try to make him something he's not, you're looking at a disaster here.

And so far as PMDs, who else is out there? People talk about Kaberle, but are you willing to give up Clarkson for him, because I can guarantee you that's what Burke would be asking for.

While they're not Scott Niedermeyer, Greene, if he doesn't regress, and Tallinder, apparently, are good enough at moving the puck. (And for all the hype Martin is getting, I'm sorry, the guy wasn't anything special.) When you tally up all of the PMDs in the league, if you have two on your team, that's not bad.

Speaking of Niedermayer...could he pull a Favre and come back for one more year?

They're under contract with the Devils now, so I think they go where Lou tells them to go (and I think he might only get to tell them to go the Devils or Albany).

Correct. Jofesson and Tedenby both signed pro contracts - so NJ or Albany are the only places they'll be going (unless traded).

I believe the new transfer agreement allows them to return to their Swedish teams if they don't crack the NHL lineup. I'm pretty sure I read that. I need to look it up. I'm not expecting miracles from them, just that they will be serviceable 3rd liners while they learn the NHL.

Correct. Jofesson and Tedenby both signed pro contracts - so NJ or Albany are the only places they'll be going (unless traded).

this isn't true. with the new transfer agreement in place between the swedish elite league and the NHL, they could be returned to the swedish elite league if things don't work out here.

I think starting tomorrow, we'll begin to form an understanding of how ready they are (prospect camp). However, I bet it's a make it or head to Albany kind of camp for these guys. Either result is a good thing for the player. If they need time in Albany, then so be it. They'll be getting close to top minutes there most likely (unlike their Elite teams during the season). I think both have a shot to make the devils with a good camp though (same goes for Urbom).

Tallinder, at the very core, is not a true PMD. He's a guy that can make a solid pass out of the zone and that is not the only thing a true PMD should be albe to do. If you're expecting him to go end to end, take the puck into the offensive zone or even through the neutral zone from his own zone with consistency then you'll be dissapointed. If they try to make him something he's not, you're looking at a disaster here.

Nobody should be expecting Tallinder to do anything more than play solid D for 15-18 minutes a game and throw out an assist every here and there.

with the new transfer agreement in place between the swedish elite league and the NHL, they could be returned to the swedish elite league if things don't work out here.

Yeah I think you are right. I believe they have the option to return there, but I would hope we do a good job convincing them that time in the AHL could be valuable (not that the elite league is worse, supposedly they are close to on par skill wise), but it will help them learn the NA game and lifestyle.