New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

I'm not worried. This will get over turned and Kovi will be wearing Devil colors when the season starts.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BIG TRADE RUMOR>

Another rumor that just broke is the Rangers are considering trading Marian Gaborik to the LA Kings and signing Kovalchuk. Very interesting rumor indeed. We all remember Gaborik had wanted to play in LA going into last summer's UFA period prior to signing in NY.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Єklund (2.3% accurate)/KingsRangers-Getting-Back-In-On-Kovalchuk-Gaborik-Trade-to-LA-Leafs/1/29435

Єklund (2.3% accurate)

Is this even possible?

hey great someone posts an Єklund (2.3% accurate) rumor on the board and people think it's legit - well done

at times like this there are a lot of people who come around who aren't that familiar with salary caps and contracts and Єklund (2.3% accurate)

Edited by Triumph

BIG TRADE RUMOR>

Another rumor that just broke is the Rangers are considering trading Marian Gaborik to the LA Kings and signing Kovalchuk. Very interesting rumor indeed. We all remember Gaborik had wanted to play in LA going into last summer's UFA period prior to signing in NY.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Єklund (2.3% accurate)/KingsRangers-Getting-Back-In-On-Kovalchuk-Gaborik-Trade-to-LA-Leafs/1/29435

Єklund (2.3% accurate)

You knew this was coming.

and now ESPN is saying that Lou knew this deal was going to be rejected before the press conference?

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/news/story?id=5397588

"Further muddying the waters surrounding the rejection, a source told ESPN.com Wednesday morning that Devils president and general manager Lou Lamoriello was aware of the league's plans to deny the deal prior to Tuesday afternoon's news conference in Newark announcing the signing."

Source: Dean Lombardi

edit: that source was meant to be a joke

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

I actually is possible. With the contract being rejected.... technically Kovalchuk is not a Devil legally right now and can be offered contracts by other teams.

not true. my understanding of the situation is that the PA has 5 days to file a grievance. if they do not do so, kovalchuk would then become a free agent. in the interim, the devils and kovalchuk can choose to renegotiate the contract to the NHL's liking.

Edited by Triumph

No. It's not even well thought out plausable rumor mongering even for that toolshed's standards.

In the spirit of fiction, i'd offer sheet Staal immediately afterwards.

On the contrary my friend. Currently, the contract that Ilya Kovalchuk signed has been rejected by the league. Therefore, it is not a legal and current contractual document. Kovy is a member of NO team and can entertain offers if he wishes to.

BIG TRADE RUMOR>

Єklund (2.3% accurate)

:doh1:

not true. my understanding of the situation is that the PA has 5 days to file a grievance. if they do not do so, kovalchuk would then become a free agent. in the interim, the devils and kovalchuk can choose to renegotiate the contract to the NHL's liking.

I thought that was the case too. But in all of the articles I've been reading this morning, it states that since the contract was rejected by the league officially... Kovy has no contract with a team.

I think Kovy is a free agent until the grievance is filed, at that point he goes back to not being a free agent until a decision is made. That was the impression I got from my readings. Obviously the player knows if he'll request the NHLPA to file a grievance, so the player isn't going to be surprised by having or not having the grievance.

I thought that was the case too. But in all of the articles I've been reading this morning, it states that since the contract was rejected by the league officially... Kovy has no contract with a team.

It doesn't matter that he has "no contract" with the Devils. The "contract" that matters here is the CBA. And what I've read is that the CBA says that he is a UFA after the grievance process works itself out, or if a re-structured deal is reached in the interim.

I would just like any notion that Kovalchuk will end up with another team put to rest so we can stop worrying.

But Єklund (2.3% accurate) said it was a possibility. The man is really tuned in to what's going on the league. He says so himself.

admittedly this was all i read so far, but i think this is the relevant paragraph:

"(x) if the NHLPA does not timely dispute and refer to the

Arbitrator such rejection in the manner set forth in Section 11.5(g) above, then

immediately upon the expiration of the time period within which the NHLPA may

dispute and refer to the Arbitrator such rejection, the SPC or Offer Sheet, as the

case may be, will be deemed null and void ab initio (i.e., the Player's Free Agency

and/or contractual status shall revert to the status he held prior to signing his SPC

or Offer Sheet, as the case may be), and the Player shall not be entitled to any of

the rights or benefits provided for under the rejected SPC or Offer Sheet, as the

case may be; or"

translating out of legalese, this seems to indicate that the NHLPA has 5 days to decide to dispute, after which, if they do not do so, the contract is null and kovalchuk is once again a free agent.

Edited by Triumph

It doesn't matter that he has "no contract" with the Devils. The "contract" that matters here is the CBA. And what I've read is that the CBA says that he is a UFA after the grievance process works itself out, or if a re-structured deal is reached in the interim.

There is no guarantee a grievance process is even started. I haven't seen it clearly stated what happens during the period of 5 days the NHLPA has to file the grievance. I would think it would be said that the player is still held to the team whose contract was denied, if that was the case since the Devils-Kovy contract never officially existed in the NHL eyes. So since it doesn't specifically state the player is beholden during the 5 day period, I would think he is free once the contract is voided.

I don't think it matters though, it looks like a grievance will be filed and I don't think Kovalchuk is going to another team even if he was an UFA again this moment.