New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who the fvck are you to tell me no? I wasn't asking the boards permission. You can go suck my hockey stick.

You were not asking for permission, but I gave my opinion which I am allowed to do the last time I remember. You do not have to take it but I personally feel it looks dumb.

You were not asking for permission, but I gave my opinion which I am allowed to do the last time I remember. You do not have to take it but I personally feel it looks dumb.

Care to elaborate why you think it looks dumb? I sure as hell can elaborate on why I think it rocks.

I thought this was a funny title :)

The Day the Devils Told the NHL, 'Circumvent This'

According to several reports, the NHL warned the Devils on Monday that they were rejecting Kovalchuk's loophole-laden contract and they really might want to re-consider staging a formal announcement.

The Devils brought in a great media crowd to Newark for a Tuesday in mid-July, including players such as Martin Brodeur, Zach Parise, Jamie Langenbrunner and Patrick Elias as well, and held the event anyway.

In other words, if the reports are true, the New Jersey Devils -- led by Hall of Fame franchise builder and league power broker Lou Lamoriello -- told the NHL, "Circumvent this."

from: http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2010/07/22/the-day-the-devils-told-the-nhl-circumvent-this/

Care to elaborate why you think it looks dumb? I sure as hell can elaborate on why I think it rocks.

Putting sayings or phrases on jerseys are and have always been dumb. I have elaborated on this before on another thread, but people still defended it. Mostly they were teens and since you are above the age of 20, it just looks silly. I can let a nickname slide on a jersey, but slogans, sayings, and phrases look just terrible. It is a $150 cry for attention that most people will not care about.

because its a jersey foul...big time.

great for an internet handle and avatar, but not for a $300 jersey.

Agreed. Also ever noticed that on Jersey Fouls on Puck Daddy, it is mostly Devils, Pens, Sens, and Sharks fans that appear the most? Granted Greg is a Devils fan, but I feel that is pretty accurate. I have been to a handful of arenas in the league and I do not see other teams fans go nuts with the phrases and other stuff on their jersey.

I thought this was a funny title :)

The Day the Devils Told the NHL, 'Circumvent This'

According to several reports, the NHL warned the Devils on Monday that they were rejecting Kovalchuk's loophole-laden contract and they really might want to re-consider staging a formal announcement.

The Devils brought in a great media crowd to Newark for a Tuesday in mid-July, including players such as Martin Brodeur, Zach Parise, Jamie Langenbrunner and Patrick Elias as well, and held the event anyway.

In other words, if the reports are true, the New Jersey Devils -- led by Hall of Fame franchise builder and league power broker Lou Lamoriello -- told the NHL, "Circumvent this."

from: http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2010/07/22/the-day-the-devils-told-the-nhl-circumvent-this/

Thanks for posting that.

We've all been throwing around references to the Luongo, Hossa, etc. contracts, but I really like how this article worded it:

As has been well-documented on NHL FanHouse and everywhere else that's still writing about hockey in July, how did the NHL decide Kovalchuk's 17-year deal was where it needed to draw the line? Stud Vancouver goaltender Roberto Luongo can make $1 million at the end of a 12-year deal at age 43, but Kovalchuk cannot make $550,000 at the same age? Just a year ago, the NHL approved a 12-year contract in which Chicago forward Marian Hossa will see his salary hit a low of $750,000 at age 42. Hossa's salary cap hit for the next 12 years is $5.2 million, Luongo's is $5.3 million for the same term, yet the Devils cannot get the blessing for Kovalchuk's hit of $6 million for the next 17 years?

This from the NY Post:

Union preparing case to defend Ilya deal

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devils/union_preparing_case_to_defend_ilya_QSON4cxBtabDQJkU7MhNTJ

It is believed the Players Association and Ilya Kovalchuk are preparing the "legal case" that would most likely involve a grievance filing by Tuesday. Failing a subsequent negotiation session settlement, Kovalchuk's $102 million, 17-year contract and its rejection by the league would be submitted to an arbitrator.

There was no Devils-NHL negotiation toward a contract revision yesterday, a high source told The Post.

Who said I am paying $300 for a jersey? You gotta be out of your fvcking mind if you think I will pay that much.

A Jersey "foul"? Someone please forward me the long standing rules that have been established by league fans on the "proper" wear and customization of NHL jerseys. Stop trying to impose your standards on me. I do not waste my time trying to seek yours or anyones approval other then my family and my co-workers that depend on me.

LOL!! Can you do better than that? Your argument = fail.

Why would you care what anyone gets on their jersey anyway? You paying for it, or wearing it?

Why would you care what anyone gets on their jersey anyway? You paying for it, or wearing it?

Exactly, and as to the argument others are making about "well other teams fans don't do it"... well fvck the other teams fans. Stop trying to be like them. What makes our team, and our fanbase unique is that we DON'T do what the other guys do. So please excuse me while I inject a little originality into our franchises fanbase. All you other conformists can go sit in line with the other sheepish NHL fans.

Who said I am paying $300 for a jersey? You gotta be out of your fvcking mind if you think I will pay that much.

A Jersey "foul"? Someone please forward me the long standing rules that have been established by league fans on the "proper" wear and customization of NHL jerseys. Stop trying to impose your standards on me. I do not waste my time trying to seek yours or anyones approval other then my family and my co-workers that depend on me.

pay whatever you want for a jersey. i dont really care, just an example of going out of the way to buy authentic with personalization. yes, its possible to get it cheaper. but that's not the point. its a massive waste of money to put what YOU want on the back of a jersey.

He obviously cares if he thought to respond to my post. Honestly, I feel bad for everyone with the jersey fouls that get shown on Puck Daddy, not because they're on there but what mustve been going through their minds when they thought, "THis is a GREAT idea. I MUST put it on my JERSEY!"

Edited by njdevsfn95

Put whatever you want on your jersey, who cares? A friend of mine used to wear a Rags jersey that said "Headboard" on the back, with the number 69 on it. He fancied himself a headboard ranger LOL. I remember telling him he should be fronting a band in that jersey :lol:

Exactly, and as to the argument others are making about "well other teams fans don't do it"... well fvck the other teams fans. Stop trying to be like them. What makes our team, and our fanbase unique is that we DON'T do what the other guys do. So please excuse me while I inject a little originality into our franchises fanbase. All you other conformists can go sit in line with the other sheepish NHL fans.

nothing wrong with originality.

but then again, you're putting "This Is Team" on the back of a jersey with the specific #17. kind of hypocritical even though it came from Kovalchuk, plenty of players have said that or something similar in the past.

I thought this was interesting from the Toronto Globe and Mail:

Why did NHL kill the Kovalchuk contract?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/why-did-nhl-kill-the-kovalchuk-contract/article1647961/

The league was said to be troubled by a couple of long-term contracts signed by Detroit’s Henrik Zetterberg and Johan Franzen two years ago already, but the deals expire before the players reach the age of 40, so they let them pass. The next round of long-term contracts – for Chris Pronger, Roberto Luongo and Marian Hossa – extended the terms until the respective players turned 42, an age where few play any more.

Hossa’s contract was particularly troubling because it lasts 12 years, but from Year 7 to Year 9 drops from $7.9-million to $1-million in annual compensation. Even though it looked fishy, the league determined that it couldn’t prove a circumvention on the strength of the contract alone, so they let that one pass as well.

Investigations into those three deals by independent counsel remain active and if any of the parties involved in the negotiations erred at some point in their communications with regard to the contract’s extended term, they could still be tossed out.

Edited by Rock

And this is why we still get pissed on by other fans in the league. We pride ourselves on being an overall classy team, but then we have fans that pull this. This will be the last post I make at least on this thread about this topic since it digresses from the point of this thread, but I just have to say that it looks dumb. Apparently, you seem to be offended that not everyone is fawning over this idea, so your $150 (for replica + lettering) cry for attention is not working as well as you hoped. Yeah it is your right to do what you want to your jersey and I am not literally stopping you from getting it, but do not expect everyone to like it.

Investigations into those three deals by independent counsel remain active and if any of the parties involved in the negotiations erred at some point in their communications with regard to the contract’s extended term, they could still be tossed out.

Yes, and technically The Korean War is still in progress. Seems like pro league propaganda at a point where almost all the press about this contract dispute has turned into "the NHL has picked a fight it will have a lot of trouble winning".

Screw the NHL! :saddevil:

There are rules in the CBA that deal with circumvention and contracts and I assume the writer of the article (or the 'source') was mentioning them. EDIT: slightly different rules than the ones being utilized for the Kovalchuk contract.

In our case, all Kovalchuk has to do is make it to October without saying anything along the lines of "retiring early" because then reporters will have actual hockey to cover instead of just his contract.

Edited by njdevsfn95

Put whatever you want on your jersey, who cares? A friend of mine used to wear a Rags jersey that said "Headboard" on the back, with the number 69 on it. He fancied himself a headboard ranger LOL. I remember telling him he should be fronting a band in that jersey :lol:

This is a little off topic maybe, but some Islanders fans used to show up at Islanders - Rangers games with Rangers jerseys and #14 CRACKHEAD on the back of the jerseys. This was of course the time when Theo Fleury played with the Rangers. And that sucks, because I love Theo and he was one of my favorite players.

Yes, and technically The Korean War is still in progress. Seems like pro league propaganda at a point where almost all the press about this contract dispute has turned into "the NHL has picked a fight it will have a lot of trouble winning".

Screw the NHL! :saddevil:

The NHL won't win this fight. It was never their intention to win this fight. This rejection is a political move within the NHL.

The NHL won't win this fight. It was never their intention to win this fight. This rejection is a political move within the NHL.

This is my belief too. I think the NHL knows that Kovalchuk's contract will hold up, but they wanted to send a message that they will create trouble for these types of contracts in the future.

Not sure if this was posted yet, but on the Devils website all Kovalchuk promo stuff is gone. Where it said "Watch Kovy " now says "Watch Zach" & all highlight videos are gone from the front page scroll, they now have the prospects, Devil Day of Summer, & Lou's statement.

Not sure if this a good thing or not but if the Devils felt confident about keeping Kovy wouldn't you keep up the promo info?

Just wondering what everyone thinks?

nothing wrong with originality.

but then again, you're putting "This Is Team" on the back of a jersey with the specific #17. kind of hypocritical even though it came from Kovalchuk, plenty of players have said that or something similar in the past.

I guess it would be like getting a Malkin jersey, but putting "Big Taste" on the back instead of Malkin.

Not big on phrases or nicknames on jerseys...but hey, its your money and your jersey. Get whatever makes you happy.