New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

I think the NHL knows they will lose.

They pulled the plug on this contact as a warning to other GM's saying "We will make your signings a huge pain in the ass if you try this."

The language of the CBA is clear and Lou knows what he can and can't do from a legal standpoint.

The "spirit" of the CBA will not be present in a courtroom. I don't see how the arbitrator would uphold this decision.

The NHL wouldn't challenge the contract knowing they would lose.

The last big stick the NHL carried in these cases was the threat of voiding a contract. If they lose this arbitration case then they have no more bullets in the gun. The league would rather sit tight and do more media tsk tsk'ing than end up with no ammo. Therefore the league must believe it has a decent chance of winning in arbitration.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the kings interest now is just a bunch of rumors and talks certainly the kings tried to lock kovy up for 15 years with a cap hit of 5.3 wouldn't that certainly fall under circumventing the cap in which the NHL would be obligated to rejec that to.certainly the kings can't afford to have a higher cap of 6.5 because they would run the risk of loseing there young stars such as doughty and would you really go after kovy after he spurned you for another team

The NHL wouldn't challenge the contract knowing they would lose.

Who says this is about winning or losing on the NHL's part? I think by merely challenging it they are sending a message and/or detering teams from trying it until 2012.

Either way, the shot was sent across the bow that if you're going to try these contracts on for size, you're going to get the attention from the league.

Edited by SJP20

Who says this is about winning or losing on the NHL's part? I think by merely challenging it they are sending a message and/or detering teams from trying it until 2012.

Either way, the shot was sent across the bow that if you're going to try these contracts on for size, you're going to get the attention from the league.

If the NHL loses then everyone knows the NHL has no bullets left to fire. You don't waste your last bullet on a shot across the bow, IMO.

I gotta agree, I don't think this is so much about the NHL winning or losing is that it's about the NHL firing a shot across the bow for next year's UFA signings. This is the prime time for the NHL to pick a fight since the CBA is in 2012. Next year may sound like the right time but I would imagin that the NHL feels there will be at least more than a couple deals of this type in 2011 since the CBA is up in 2012.

I just don't see the league winning this and I don't see the devils doing anything. The way I see it is a big build up to the next CBA and each side seeing who will have that card to hold when entering negotiations. I don't think Lou was happy about doing this deal knowing he is weakening the league in negotiations and hurting his reputation with the league.

I gotta agree, I don't think this is so much about the NHL winning or losing is that it's about the NHL firing a shot across the bow for next year's UFA signings. This is the prime time for the NHL to pick a fight since the CBA is in 2012. Next year may sound like the right time but I would imagin that the NHL feels there will be at least more than a couple deals of this type in 2011 since the CBA is up in 2012.

Ya but it also sets up a pre-emptive strike to force the teams to know this avenue will not exist in the future so if your gonna do it, do it now. This locks up stars and salary regarless of the new CBA and works in the owners favor.

Edited by newarkdev01

You could argue that that's exactly what they tried to accomplish with the Hossa/Pronger investigations last year, and it cleary didn't deter the Devils.

I know I should put this in Non Devils signings but a guy named Clitsome got signed by the Jackets which means the Jacket will win the Stanley Cup and as Clitsome goes to lift the cup Doc Emmerich will accidentally say "There is Someclit lifting the cup."

Edited by CarpathianForest

Me thinks there'll be another lockout to settle garbage like this :noclue:

I sure hope not. The NHL was just getting back to what it used to be...sorta

i hope not, I dont want to be forced to watch NETS basketball games and reruns of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air :rant:

Third post on page 333. Daneyko WOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I am going to drink 3 beers in honor of Daneyko for this.

If there is a lockout maybe some folks will create a startup hockey league like Al Bundy did when baseball went on strike.

We had this idea a few pages ago. We are going to call it Xtreme Hockey League and it will be run by the WWE. This cannot fail!

i hope not, I dont want to be forced to watch NETS basketball games and reruns of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air :rant:

who said there would be basketball. they're due to go a year earlier. maybe if the NHL finds a way to violate the CBA, the PA can call a strike in a tit for tat move and then EVERYONE will have a work stoppage at once.

i hate this!!! why can't we enjoy our once in a lifetime UFA signing without Gary Bettman ruining it!!!

He wanted the Devils in Nashville...now this... why's he always pissing in our cheerios??