New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

Jim Kelly from Rogers Sports Net:

The Kovy conundrum

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2010/07/22/kelley_kovy_conundrum/

It's a more than safe bet to assume that Lamoriello knew that if the league was going to have any objections to a contract that pushes the salary limits and the number of years in an agreement to seemingly absurd heights it would be with the organization that conceived it. Yet the league is going to go the tried and true CBA violation route. Far be it from the league to slap down a member organization even if it has, from time to time, had serious disagreements with said organization.

The PA is always a much more likely (though not necessarily easier) target in that if the league wins it doesn't just win against one perceived rogue member of its own organization, it wins against the PA and for its view of how the CBA should be interpreted. If that happens, everyone else has to fall in line.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this was posted yet, but on the Devils website all Kovalchuk promo stuff is gone. Where it said "Watch Kovy " now says "Watch Zach" & all highlight videos are gone from the front page scroll, they now have the prospects, Devil Day of Summer, & Lou's statement.

Not sure if this a good thing or not but if the Devils felt confident about keeping Kovy wouldn't you keep up the promo info?

Just wondering what everyone thinks?

not sure but i think legally they need to take it down until this situation clears up and he is officially a Devil

Not sure if this was posted yet, but on the Devils website all Kovalchuk promo stuff is gone. Where it said "Watch Kovy " now says "Watch Zach" & all highlight videos are gone from the front page scroll, they now have the prospects, Devil Day of Summer, & Lou's statement.

Not sure if this a good thing or not but if the Devils felt confident about keeping Kovy wouldn't you keep up the promo info?

Just wondering what everyone thinks?

i don't think you keep the promotional info when the contract's in dispute, it doesn't look good. that stuff will be back when kovalchuk does have a legal contract.

I guess it would be like getting a Malkin jersey, but putting "Big Taste" on the back instead of Malkin.

Not big on phrases or nicknames on jerseys...but hey, its your money and your jersey. Get whatever makes you happy.

Well the only other reason I'd get it would be because of all the Devils fan sites I've visted grabbing bits and pieces of info here or there about the Kovy Krisis, this is the only one that has quasi grabbed on to the whole "this is team" comment. Putting that on the back of the Jersey further serves the relationship I have with this board.

nothing wrong with originality.

but then again, you're putting "This Is Team" on the back of a jersey with the specific #17. kind of hypocritical even though it came from Kovalchuk, plenty of players have said that or something similar in the past.

You don't see any Rangers jerseys with "We Will Win (tonight)" and #11.

Let him put what he wants on his jersey and let him end up on Greg's "Jersey Fouls" becuase that's exactly where he'll be. It'll be entertaining, if nothing else, when this is refreshed with a "told you so" and the fit that will follow.

Edited by SJP20

I guess it would be like getting a Malkin jersey, but putting "Big Taste" on the back instead of Malkin.

Not big on phrases or nicknames on jerseys...but hey, its your money and your jersey. Get whatever makes you happy.

i saw someone with a penguins jersey last week with sidney crosby's number on it and it said CRYBABY on the back

This is a little off topic maybe, but some Islanders fans used to show up at Islanders - Rangers games with Rangers jerseys and #14 CRACKHEAD on the back of the jerseys. This was of course the time when Theo Fleury played with the Rangers. And that sucks, because I love Theo and he was one of my favorite players.

Crack-Head-Ache.jpg

You don't see any Rangers jerseys with "We Will Win (tonight)" and #11.

Let him put what he wants on his jersey and let him end up on Greg's "Jersey Fouls" becuase that's exactly where he'll be. It'll be entertaining, if nothing else, when this is refreshed with a "told you so" and the fit that will follow.

Well here's how this would work. In a public domain like a hockey game, or just out and about around the town he has the full right to take my picture with that, or anything written on the back of the Jersey. However if he wants to publish it on his website he is going to need my permission and here is why...

I am sure this guy has advertisements on his site in which he makes money from. People come to this site in part to see the pictures therefore I can argue in court that he receives money off my image. I am either entitled to a cut of his profits or he is required to take my picture off the site if he in fact does not want to share the profits.

In any case where a person is making money off of someones image an agreement needs to be signed by both parties in order for them to do so which details the limit of use for that picture even though it was taken with his camera, by him. Don't think for a second I will not take someone to court over the use of my image on thier website. If they are making money off of it I either want a cut of the profits, or it taken off.

I dunno, I think 11.6 references section 26 if the league plans to say they voided the contract due to salary cap circumvention. That's the league saying under section 11.6, as laid out in section 26, we believe a salary cap circumvention exists.

I think the Devils would be better off with a prior investigation taking place. The arbitrator will ask to see all the emails and stuff anyway, having a chance to confer with the league before all power is taken out of your hands is better, IMO.

It does look like 11.6 covers this situation better but it seems to me under section 26 both sides probably already are fielding investigators into the matter, they just have nobody to go to gain authority.

The other issue is one of Daly's emails specifically references section 26, so I wonder how that jives with 11.6 since it looks like this dispute will involve both. Although I've only seen Daly reference section 26.

Lifted from TG comment section poster Romeo:

Bill’s response:

It seems to me the league may have been investigating this and feel they have more beyond just the contract itself. That's just an assumption obviously.

i meant to address this yesterday - but having re-read all the relevant sections, it's just so strange that absolutely none of the procedures being undertaken in section 11 mention section 26 at all. maybe section 26 is a sub-section of section 11? after all, section 11 probably existed in the old collective bargaining agreement, it just had nothing to do with salary caps or anything like that. and there is no specific mentioning of what happens when a circumvention occurs in section 11. what a bizarre document.

fwiw, i was skeptical that those emails came from bill daly, but who would dig through the CBA to fabricate an email like that? also, maybe we should move this to a non-retarded thread?

Edited by Triumph

Well here's how this would work. In a public domain like a hockey game, or just out and about around the town he has the full right to take my picture with that, or anything written on the back of the Jersey. However if he wants to publish it on his website he is going to need my permission and here is why...

I am sure this guy has advertisements on his site in which he makes money from. People come to this site in part to see the pictures therefore I can argue in court that he receives money off my image. I am either entitled to a cut of his profits or he is required to take my picture off the site if he in fact does not want to share the profits.

In any case where a person is making money off of someones image an agreement needs to be signed by both parties in order for them to do so which details the limit of use for that picture even though it was taken with his camera, by him. Don't think for a second I will not take someone to court over the use of my image on thier website. If they are making money off of it I either want a cut of the profits, or it taken off.

Why would you take someone to court over them taking a picture of you in that jersey in a public place? He does not need your permission. If you were so proud of it and knew it was such a good idea, why are you threatening to sue him if he takes a picture of it? You are clearly embarassed now and upset that not everyone thought it was a good idea and became jealous of it.

i saw someone with a penguins jersey last week with sidney crosby's number on it and it said CRYBABY on the back

I also remember CRASHER having a Anaheim Giguere jersey made, but instead of the Jiggy Puff name, the name on the back was Overrated.

No one really got it. They just saw the Ducks jersey and FANRAGE~! ensued. That's why I don't like insulting "jersies" unless there's some hint of the true support team on the front. Most people just don't get it.

Why would you take someone to court over them taking a picture of you in that jersey in a public place? He does not need your permission. If you were so proud of it and knew it was such a good idea, why are you threatening to sue him if he takes a picture of it? You are clearly embarassed now and upset that not everyone thought it was a good idea and became jealous of it.

No, if someone uses my image regardless of whether people view the image in a positive or negative light I am entitled to be compensated for the use of my image. If not then they have no legal right to use it. If someone took my picture, put it in thier self made magazine in which they receive profit from and called me the greatest Devils fans in the history of the franchise I would demand the same thing.

It is apparent to me that you do not understand your rights as an individual in regards to interaction with entrepreneurs. Do you know how many images a year are probably published on the web, and in magazines without the expressed written consent of the individual involved? Even newspapers need some form of consent to publish a picture of you.

Game346 - he can't use your likeness (hence black lines over faces and blurred faces) but he can use the image of your shirt.

and why on earth are you getting your panties all bunched up over people telling you it was a Jersey foul..now you're all hot to sue a yahoo blogging Devil fan? :unsure: not merely for a photo that hasn't been published much less taken but over a shirt you haven't even made over a player who isn't even officially signed :doh1:

Time to switch to decaf me thinks :evil:

Edited by Pepperkorn

Good luck with that. I mean that with as much support as possible.

No, if someone uses my image regardless of whether people view the image in a positive or negative light I am entitled to be compensated for the use of my image. If not then they have no legal right to use it. If someone took my picture, put it in thier self made magazine in which they receive profit from and called me the greatest Devils fans in the history of the franchise I would demand the same thing.

It is apparent to me that you do not understand your rights as an individual in regards to interaction with entrepreneurs. Do you know how many images a year are probably published on the web, and in magazines without the expressed written consent of the individual involved? Even newspapers need some form of consent to publish a picture of you.

I do know my rights, but honestly I am one of those people who if they want to use my image, I do not care and life is not always fair. Every person in America now is a friggin lawyer and seem to know every single one of their "rights." Just admit it, you were so proud of your jersey before and wanted to brag about it, now you are threatening legal action against people posting it on websites. If people would have wrote to you saying how great your idea is, you wouldn't have gone into your lawsuit tirade.

I do know my rights, but honestly I am one of those people who if they want to use my image, I do not care and life is not always fair. Every person in America now is a friggin lawyer and seem to know every single one of their "rights." Just admit it, you were so proud of your jersey before and wanted to brag about it, now you are threatening legal action against people posting it on websites. If people would have wrote to you saying how great your idea is, you wouldn't have gone into your lawsuit tirade.

I'm just going in the direction the discussion is going, but whatever dude. You seem to know so much about everyone why don't you run for President in 2012? I'll even make a Jersey in support.

wow this went :offtopic: fast...

lol indeed. But this topic has gone off-topic before but eventually comes back to Kovy. I mean, what the hell do ninjas and/or female ninjas have to do with Kovalchuk's contract?! haha.

I'm just going in the direction the discussion is going, but whatever dude. You seem to know so much about everyone why don't you run for President in 2012? I'll even make a Jersey in support.

You went from bragging, to calling people names, to threatening to sue Yahoo and Puck Daddy. That is some direction. I will run for President one day, just gotta wait a few more years to meet the mandatory 35 year old age minimum. Being the constitutional scholar that you are, you probably already knew that.

Thegame seems like one of those dudes that would sue/throw a fit on the person in front of him with 11 items in the "10 or less" line at the store.

I bet if his jersey showed up in the Devils Legion gallery on the website, he'd act just the opposite way. However, since his jersey would be portrayed in a negative light on "jersey fouls", the first reactionary impulse is to sue.