I Want Crosby On Nj

Jas0nMacIsaac

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are acting as if he was a Heatley, Foster or even Horton type prospect. He is a Lemieux, Gretzky or Orr type prospect.

I have to agree with Jason. Crosby should have a Lebron James like impact on the NHL a few years down the road. While Parise could potentially be elite at his time, Crosby could potentially be one of the greatest of ALL time.

THe NHL doesn't need another spoiled, egotistical, money hungry brat...if he is like Lebron then he can squallor in hockey hell for all I care. :huh:

This guy Crosby certainly sounds like the real deal based on how he tore things up in the US High School system last year and the start he's having in the QJMHL right now. Now I have no idea what Lou may think of this kid or the future for our Devs (hell who among really knows what Lou will ever do), but I was a betting man (which I am) and the Devils GM (which I'm not... yet), there is no way to guarantee yourself a shot at this kid...

... however, there are definitely ways to put yourself in a position to grab this kid should he actually enter the draft in 2005, his first year of eligibilty - and not to put a more of a dark cloud on an already dark season, but this whole plan is assuming there is a season that year (which I think there will be)...

... anyway, back to the point... anybody know of a former Devils draft pick named Scott Neidermayer? For those that remember (most if not all of us), Neidermayer was picked third overall by the Devils in 1991 - however, the Devils were not the third worst team in the league that year. The Leafs were. The Devils had made a prior trade with the Leafs (what the trade was exactly I don't remember), where in return for whoever, the Devils received the Leafs first-round pick in 1991.

You probably know where I'm going with this. Now, like I said, you can't guarantee yourself you'll get Crosby, but you can put yourself in a position to get him. The way you do that is ala Neidermayer 1991. You attempt to guage who will finish in the bottom 5 in the 2004-05 season, and make a deal with them for their Number One pick of that draft. Honestly, I have no idea who it may be that'll finish in the bottom five that year, but it'll probably be the usual suspects.

The draft lottery really hurts that logic however. No one knows where they are picking. So one would have to wait till after that, and there is no really method as to who picks when anymore, its all a guess.

True, the lottery does through another factor into the equation but the lottey is set up that your chances of having the first pick in the draft are inversely proportional to your record (at least for non-playoff teams)... again, the suggested method doesn't assure you anything, it only sets you up for better chances at getting a shot at Crosby.

Also, take a note from the Penguins during this past entry draft - it's a lot easier to trade up for the Number One pick when you can offer the #3 pick in return as part of package, than if you can only offer the #18 pick... or in the Devils case, the #27-#30 pick.

AAs was said a couple posts back Kurvers was traded for the #1 pick. The mistake Lou made(or at least what I thought we should have done) was trade Sean Burke, who at that time, came off a great playoffs, but was having problems with the team, was a headcase, despite playing poorly, still wanted number 1 goalie duty, bad mouthed the fans, and terrerrie looked awsome, well, trrade him to the nordiques, for a first rounder if possible, but at least for somethign to makes the nords a better team, that way the leafs would have finished behind the nords and make our pick number 1. Turned out for the better, I don't know how this team would have been with Lindros instead of Nieds, or if we traded lindros, or whatever.

Thing I remember about kurvers was that he couldn't keep the puck in the zone fromt he point on the PP. Drove me nuts for the half a year or so that I saw him.

Joe

Jeff Friesen was a bonus pick up in the Sykora trade since the target was for Tver... The Devils aquisition of Jeff Friesen was the best move made since signing Madden... He will have a great year...

Oh, and Crosby may be an impact player, but i would still want to build a team around a good goalie over a great offensive player... al la Brodeur

New Jersey is not the place for this guy. Odds are, he will ask for some ridiculous amount of money his first or second year or whine about how he's not getting enough ice time and Lou will let him walk... pick up some gritty vets or something. The NJ system is not set up to produce superstars.

AAs was said a couple posts back Kurvers was traded for the #1 pick. The mistake Lou made(or at least what I thought we should have done) was trade Sean Burke, who at that time, came off a great playoffs, but was having problems with the team, was a headcase, despite playing poorly, still wanted number 1 goalie duty, bad mouthed the fans, and terrerrie looked awsome, well, trrade him to the nordiques, for a first rounder if possible, but at least for somethign to makes the nords a better team, that way the leafs would have finished behind the nords and make our pick number 1. Turned out for the better, I don't know how this team would have been with Lindros instead of Nieds, or if we traded lindros, or whatever.

Thing I remember about kurvers was that he couldn't keep the puck in the zone fromt he point on the PP. Drove me nuts for the half a year or so that I saw him.

Joe

Joe, Lou was taking a shot at trading for the #1 pick. Toronto was pretty bad. When Lou traded for the pick, it was actually a year earlier. The Leafs wanted to give NJ the 1990 1st rounder. Lou held out for TO's 1991 1st rounder. He thought they might actually be bad enough to finish last overall so that NJ could draft Lindros. It was not a given at that time that the Nords were the worst team in the league. Now if you think he should ALSO have traded Burke to the Nords...but I don't think Quebec was trading that pick. Even though Lindros told them he would never play for them. And you saw what it took to actually trade for Lindros AFTER he sat out for a year. Philly gutted their team. The Rangers WOULD have gutted their team. And you think Burke would have been enough to get the pick? I don't think so. Quebec wasn't nearly as stupid as Toronto.

• 9 months later...

Not very well. ;)

He easily won the QMJHL scoring race, despite missing between 2 and 3 weeks to play for Canada in the World Juniors (against players 2 years older than him).

He set the record for most assists by a 16 year old in the QMJHL, breaking Denis Savard's old record. He broke the record for most points by a 16 year old by 10 points. He didn't come close to breaking Bossy's goal scoring record... but Bossy played 9 more games.

He won not only the QMJHL MVP (despite most of the league being older than him), but he won the Canadian Hockey League MVP - the first time that has been done by a 16 year old.

He was CHL player of the week 3 times (best player of the Q, O and W) and QMJHL player of the month 3 times.

He is the youngest player to ever score a goal for Canada in the World Juniors.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I haven't read this thread through, but I'm sure enough people said getting him on New Jersey is just impossible. Unless we decide right now to tank it and finish last this season. Whoever gets this kid is going to have a full arena every single night. He has the potential to be a Wayne Gretzky or a Mario Lemieux. Or possibly only a Jagr. But certainly no less than that.

• 2 months later...
Not very well.  ;)

He easily won the QMJHL scoring race, despite missing between 2 and 3 weeks to play for Canada in the World Juniors (against players 2 years older than him).

He set the record for most assists by a 16 year old in the QMJHL, breaking Denis Savard's old record. He broke the record for most points by a 16 year old by 10 points. He didn't come close to breaking Bossy's goal scoring record... but Bossy played 9 more games.

He won not only the QMJHL MVP (despite most of the league being older than him), but he won the Canadian Hockey League MVP - the first time that has been done by a 16 year old.

He was CHL player of the week 3 times (best player of the Q, O and W) and QMJHL player of the month 3 times.

He is the youngest player to ever score a goal for Canada in the World Juniors.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I haven't read this thread through, but I'm sure enough people said getting him on New Jersey is just impossible. Unless we decide right now to tank it and finish last this season. Whoever gets this kid is going to have a full arena every single night. He has the potential to be a Wayne Gretzky or a Mario Lemieux. Or possibly only a Jagr. But certainly no less than that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No.....last I checked they were saying Elias and Parise was far too much for a snot nosed kid who wants money. Elias and Parise wouldn't be close to enough for a team to give up Crosby....even after Elias's huge season and Parise's dominance at the WJC/College Season.

I wouldn't make that trade. With Parise and Elias we have two better than average hockey players. With Crosby you have an awesome hockey player. I'd rather have a team with lots of better than average hockey players than a team with one awesome player.

One superstar cannot handle the load. There are numerous examples I can cite where one great player wasn't enough to carry the team.... Kariya and the Ducks, Federov and the Ducks.... not that Crosby is even in the same league as those guys but theory is the same. Having one guy that is heads above everyone else in terms of talent level creates an individual, not a team.

I much prefer a team that scores by committee. People say that during the days of the Arnott line we only had one line. Maybe they completely missed that we had 8 guys with 20+ goals one season. That's a hockey team. Not one line. Certainly not one player.

No one would make that trade.

If Elias and Parise "isn't even close", then that player just isn't worth it. No player in the league right now is worth that much. Elias is a top 5 LW and Parise is a projected 2nd line center, at least. Unless Crosby really is on the Lemieux/Gretzky plane, no one player is worth that much.

No one would make that trade.

If Elias and Parise "isn't even close", then that player just isn't worth it.  No player in the league right now is worth that much.  Elias is a top 5 LW and Parise is a projected 2nd line center, at least.  Unless Crosby really is on the Lemieux/Gretzky plane, no one player is worth that much.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not even sure you make that trade for a Lemieux/Gretzky in todays NHL. Its too easy to just let 2 guys hang all over one superstar on the opposing team. If the league truly opens up then the superstars will become more valuable but until then there just isn't enough production difference between The top scorer and the 25th scorer in the league.

-Scott

Well, I think part of that is talent level. There isn't anybody that is heads above everyone else in the league. The guy at the top of the scoring sheet isn't 100% more talented than the 25th guy.

And if it were not for the ability to key on one player, I don't think we have one cup, much less 3. We were always able to key on one guy... Whether it be Claude Lemieux, Bobby Carpenter, John Madden or even Scott Stevens always being on the ice for Lindros... we always keyed on the other teams stars and let our balanced attack kill the opposition.