GM says coach not Devils' problem

Rock

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devils/lou_says_maclean_not_devils_problem_dmYjCmafoabDvBDmvwO33N

"There is no problem with the coaching," the Devils' general manager told The Post. "Right now, what has to happen is our best players have to be our best players. Not one, one night, or two another. And our role players can't get out of what their responsibilities are. They can't try to do too much.

"It's the old orchestra theory. The violinists have to play the violin, the drummers have to drum. But they have to be at their best or else the music isn't any good."

Who are our role players and what are their roles?

All we have is a bunch of goop...It's not like the old days when we a line that does the checking an energy line and two scoring lines. None of our lines can do any of those things well.

I'm obviously not in the room, but watching the players it looks like none of them have any clue what their roles or what's expected of them.

And JMac may not be the problem but he isn't the solution either. He has done a bad job so far. It's too bad he may have to be fired but it's the easiest change to make.

Well, Lou and Lemaire were both like "Jacques is dedicated to coaching and he's definitely coming back" just a few days before JL retired, so let's hope Lou just doesn't want to bury JMac in the press, while still counting down hours to his firing...

Actually, this points a lot in JM's direction insofar as indicating that his days are numbered. Isn't it the coach's job to motivate and direct players to play that "role" that Mr. Lamoriello has indicated?

Look, JM may be a good coach at some point in his career (down the line), but he's definitely not the right "orchestra conductor" for this group of musicians that's for sure.

Okay, I've been sobered up and brought to reality by this quote:

"They will have to go 40-23 the rest of the way to reach 92 points, which may be enough to make the playoffs."

After reading that I don't think we'll be making the post-season this year. It seems obvious to do the simple math, and I wish I had earlier, but does anyone really see us going 40-23 from here on out?

Also, 92 points might not be enough. Recent 8th place history:

2010: Montreal 88 pts.

2009: Montreal 93 pts.

2008: Boston: 94 pts.

2007: Islanders: 92 pts.

2006: Tampa Bay: 92 pts.

wow, this sucks that we might already be out of it. I think our best hope to get back in the hunt is to go on a long (around 10 games) winning streak at some point this season.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devils/lou_says_maclean_not_devils_problem_dmYjCmafoabDvBDmvwO33N

"There is no problem with the coaching," the Devils' general manager told The Post. "Right now, what has to happen is our best players have to be our best players. Not one, one night, or two another. And our role players can't get out of what their responsibilities are. They can't try to do too much.

"It's the old orchestra theory. The violinists have to play the violin, the drummers have to drum. But they have to be at their best or else the music isn't any good."

This is exactly what Lou said after the 10 game mark.........I think he's losing it

Edited by hargsy

The axe is sharpening. Bob Hartley is awaiting his call and some older core players will be dealt,they understand this season is lost and they aren't getting any younger, the shake up will surprise everyone......... just watch!

This isn't Lou's team, this team is JVB and as we witnessed this off season he gets what he wants!

Devils fan for life, Death to Leaf Nation! :horse:

Good luck trying to sell that one to the fans, Lou. Adios, MacRobot.

I guess this maybe tells us that some core players are going to get traded.

Who can we possibly trade right now with half the team on IR? Come to think of it maybe that's why Langs and company have gone missing lately :lol:

Edited by NJDevs4978

Okay, I've been sobered up and brought to reality by this quote:

"They will have to go 40-23 the rest of the way to reach 92 points, which may be enough to make the playoffs."

After reading that I don't think we'll be making the post-season this year. It seems obvious to do the simple math, and I wish I had earlier, but does anyone really see us going 40-23 from here on out?

Also, 92 points might not be enough. Recent 8th place history:

2010: Montreal 88 pts.

2009: Montreal 93 pts.

2008: Boston: 94 pts.

2007: Islanders: 92 pts.

2006: Tampa Bay: 92 pts.

wow, this sucks that we might already be out of it. I think our best hope to get back in the hunt is to go on a long (around 10 games) winning streak at some point this season.

This was my point the other day when I posted about winning percentage. It looks worse when we see the actual number of wins needed.

At this point I dont think we will qualify. But we are close now & will remain that way the rest of the season. We'll need lots of luck & another team to sink

but let's all stay fans and see what happens.

Lou is right. The coach is not the problem.

Lou is more responsible for the situation and probably Vanderbeek as well if the whole Kovy saga was his doing as is suspected.

The main problem in the current situation is Lou. He's the one who gave everyone on the team NTCs....

No. Lou has a boss who happens to own the team. After what went down this summer, its clear that JVB has his hands very deep in this team and likely tells Lou to sign someone and to offer an NTC.

JVB is going down the Dan Snyder road.

No. Lou has a boss who happens to own the team. After what went down this summer, its clear that JVB has his hands very deep in this team and likely tells Lou to sign someone and to offer an NTC.

JVB is going down the Dan Snyder road.

lol, it's one thing to blame Vanderbeek for the Kovy thing but to think he's ordering Lou to give no-trades to Colin White, Brian Rolston and Johan Hedberg is silly. Lou gives out no-trades to avoid overpaying by more, or because someone else will do it. Hockey's changed since the cap and in some ways Lou hasn't adapted well.

Colin White is a career Devil, its completely understandable why he was offered a no-trade, its almost like a reward for his years of service. Rolston was heavily courted by Tampa Bay and at least one other team, is it not out of the realm of possibilities that JVB gave the go-ahead to offer him a no-trade to get him to sign here? As for Hedberg, he's got a 1 year deal and an NTC, its not like anyone would want him after what he's done so far this year. Hedberg's NTC is basically a wash and like with Rolston, it could've been the tipping point to get him here.

I definitely think Lou deserves some of the blame, but the final say on all matters goes through Vandergeek.

Edited by ghdi

Idk, giving someone with a one-year contract a NTC is stupid.

Its basically irrelevant. Unless Hedberg played lights out which he hasnt done in years, no one was going to want to trade for him, nor would he bring much of a return. Hes only here a year.