Devils-Rangers Game Thread

NJDevs4978

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm disappointed in the tie, but that was a pretty good game. Those who say the power play wasn't good can't be serious. Dunham stood on his head on that 5-on-3. We moved the puck well and got shots. Come on, people, aren't you watching?

Paul Martin killed NJ tonight, I hate to say it. Very shaky. It's hard to pair him up with Rafalski. But he's a kid, and kids will have bad games. We should still be high on him, but he wasn't good tonight.

Give Rangers credit, too. They had us on our heels for a while there in the third period. They kept knockin' on the door and their hard work paid off.

That's why I wasn't convinced about the Islanders being this great team when some people were going gaga over them after they beat us three times. They have no heart.

As for the Devils, on paper the D still has some of the top numbers in the league. But they're no longer a top D in crunchtime. They've blown a double-digit number of third period leads this year. At the Tampa Bay game the other night, the fan behind me told me it was 14. FOURTEEN blown third-period leads (and that was before tonight, mind you). Though I had posted my concern over the number of leads blown in the third period this year a couple of weeks ago and it got pooh-pooed, I couldn't believe it was that many (especially after seeing the stat tonight where the Devils have only lost one game when they had the lead after two periods), but this can't be written off anymore. This D has not been clutch this year, Stevens or no Stevens.

The tie doesn't bug me in itself, the Ranger$ have managed a few ties against us in recent years, especially at the Garden but blowing two leads in the third AGAIN does bug me.

Bruins won so I think that puts the Devils in SEVENTH! :o This game should have been a W. Marty gave up a late softy, he should have had that last one. :angry:

How was that a softie? It was a bang-bang play in front of the net, Marty had ZERO chance on that one. You'd be better off criticizing the first goal, that's the only real stoppable goal he gave up.

That all said, I don't care who the Devils put in net Saturday, whether it's Schwab, whether it's Ahonen, Clemmensen or Chico Resch...JUST SO LONG AS MARTY GETS A DAMN REST!!!

Actually, it wasn't that bad of an Islander implosion.... that game was just absolutely awful.That was the most horribly disgraceful game of officiating I have *EVER* seen, and I've seen some pretty bad games in my lifetime.

The refs were giving all the PPs to the Islanders in the first two periods. Marginal calls. But nothing AGAINST the Islanders. Obvious infractions were being let go, while stupid stuff was worth a trip to the box. After the second intermission, when the refs took the ice, there was SUCH a round of boos, the likes of which I've not witnessed...... and suddenly the calls were all going the other way. Ottawa had 3 PP in the first 10 minutes of the third period, two of which they got goals on.

Remember - I didn't care who won the game - and I still thought it was atrocious calling by the refs. I guess at least by the end of the game it was horrible calling going both ways (both teams were 2 for 7 on the PP), but still..... people here talk about flow and lots of goals. Well, tonights game was an example of lots of goals, and absolutely zero flow. There was virtually no 5-on-5 action and therefore lots of dump-outs and clears... The referees just ruined that game. It could have been a good game - we'll never know.

(For the record, the refs were Stephane Auger and Dave Jackson, whoever they are)

Ok... I'm home from the game. So, I'll post my thoughts on it:

I first will say I am very disappointed in the point. Big deal. So, the Rangers showed some heart and cameback twice to tie it. That's nice and all but until they find a way to get two points against your team, they can't make the playoffs. They have four games left against the Devils and need to find a way to win one or two of those.

Second, the Devils are an average team without Stevens. That much has been proven by their recent struggles. They just aren't that strong in their own end without PK's man, Stevens. He makes a huge difference for them. And I think you saw that again tonight late when the Rangers cameback not once but twice.

I thought the Rangers played a strong game but the dumb mistakes were the reason they were behind. They need to limit those. They do and they win this game handily. That's what frustrates me as a diehard fan. They came out and played hard. But the brain lock plays resulted in the usual Devils strong second period. Statistically, that's NJ's best period and the Rangers' worst. The stats showed it again tonight.

To the goals. Nice play by Carter (he actually showed up) forcing that turnover on Brylin. Then nice simple play by Hlavac dropping the puck to Carter for the shot and goal. They didn't stick to the formula in the second and that's what got them in trouble. You shoot the puck, you have a chance.

In typical Ranger fashion, they tried to give this game away. The reason the Devils are the Devils is because despite whoever they have out, they don't quit. I knew they'd probably come out stronger in the 2nd. Devils' tying goal was one that irked quite a few of the fans up where we sat. To the naked eye, it looked like the Devils were ahead of the play and offside. Of course, no whistle. So, maybe on the replay, it was on-side. But I was yelling as were other fans about it. Still, there's no way they should have allowed Rasmussen to get in alone on Dunham. They turned Eric F---in Rasmussen into Gretzky. Embarrassing. Nice deke by him. But could Dunham at least not fall out of his pants there? Cmon. He's not Richter.

Second Devils goal was another one that never should have happened. And if you want to laugh at Holik, go right ahead. But the laughing should have been saved for the moronic play by Poti trying to keep a puck in that never had a chance. Sure enough, he and Leetch blew the coverage down low and somehow let Madden center it to Pandolfo for a tap-in. Disgusting. Great play by Madden but cmon. Another mistake wound up in their net.

The first turning point of this game, which was looking a lot like last year's one-goal elimination loss, was the Devil 5-on-3. And Jerry, Dunham had to make a couple of good glove saves but nothing special. The Rangers PK did the job there and kept the Devils from getting the quality chance they usually cash in on us.

Third period, I expected the same old crap. A Devil victory with the Rangers getting nothing. But that didn't happen tonight. Instead, the Rangers got a fortunate bounce when Barnaby's pass deflected right to Chad Wiseman. He didn't miss. First career NHL goal. Nice. But of course, the Rangers couldn't capitalize on their momentum. Only they would allow Igor Oldanov to create a play out of nothing. Then I watched as Doneham turned a routine Paul Martin shot into an adventure, leaving the juicy rebound right there for Sergei Brylin to cash in. And btw... even Brylin's backhand shot was weak. Dunham can't turn into Doneham there. He just can't. He leaves way too many rebounds in front. And that's the biggest difference between him and Martin Brodeur. As one of the diehard fans commented, "Brodeur kicks the rebounds to the side out of danger. Our goalie doesn't."

So, the Devils once again led by a goal. Then had another power play opportunity. But the Rangers PK did the job again and so it wasn't over. The one power play the Rangers got in the second half was as putrid as it could have been. One measly shot from Holik. It was terrible. I figured that was the last shot to tie it. But as luck would have it, Messier would find Barnaby wide open. And his one-timer got through Brodeur's five-hole. A lucky break there. But one created out of hard work.

So, it went to OT. God forbid the Rangers got a shot and tried to win it. Though the Devil D was strong in the extra session, it didn't excuse the lack of attack by a team that needed two points. I was disillusioned with the OT. Much ado about nothing.

I will pull a Doc Emrick and refrain from commenting on the officiating.

Brodeur kept the Devils in the game early with several good saves. The Devils are not a good third period team. For those fans who express concern about all their blown leads, you have reason to. If you check the stats, the 3rd period statistically is their worst period. They have now been outscored by four goals in it. Something like 33 GF to 37 GA. Ironically, that's been the Rangers' best period. They are 8 or 9 goals better in it only allowing 30 goals. Go figure.

Best players. MSG got it right with the game's three stars. Nice job being unbiased giving 3rd star to Carter, 2nd to Brodeur and 1st to Niedermayer. I probably would have just reversed Brodeur and Niedermayer. Brodeur was the reason his team was in the game. Nieds was good but he's still not Brodeur.

Other thoughts. I just heard about Stevens. I am stunned to say the least. I wish him the very best.

The crowd was dead. This game just doesn't have the juice it used to. I guess that's how it will be until the Blueshirts win some games against the Devils. Compared to the Isles game I was at the other night, it wasn't a contest. There was so much more energy in the building. Very disappointing showing for both fanbases too.

Other good players:

Devils- Madden, Pandolfo and Gionta, Rasmussen, Elias

Gionta was the best out of those. He really played hard. Nice effort to get that last shot away at the end of regulation. I'd take a Little G on my team.

Rangers- Lindros, Ortmeyer, Wiseman, Barnaby, Messier

Lindros showed the same kind of strong play. Imagine if he had real linemates. Out of the guys I selected though, Wiseman was the best. He really played well. Not just the goal either. I liked what I saw on the forecheck and his hustle.

One other complaint with my team. Even when they beat Brodeur, there were instances where they overpassed. Nedved on that SH mini-breakaway should have shot it. Instead, he made a boneheaded drop pass to no one. And those are the kind of plays that good teams such as New Jersey capitalize on. One other thing. What the heck was Jan Hlavac thinking about when he had that open tap-in? That wasn't the only instance either. Until he hits the net, Holik better check his ego at the door. He obviously has some sort of problem beating Brodeur. Maybe he doesn't want to bruise his buddy's ego. But cmon Bobby. You talk the talk. You got to walk the walk. He had an open net with Brodeur out and fired wide in the first. Until he scores one against his ex-team, he's hexed. One fan chastised him and rightly so. If you want to beat the best, you got to bury the chances.

Good game otherwise. When do they play again?

hey derek..........this is a random comment related to the garden in general. first off, i've been to 7-8 games at the garden and the atmosphere is awesome especially compared to the meadowlands. however, i have one huge problem. why can't the ushers keep people from walking to their sits while the play is going on? i can't even count how many times i had to scream down in front tonight. does this bother you as well? everytime i've been to the a game there its the same story. i just don't get why season ticket holders wouldn't complain to get rid of this minor inconvenience but an inconvenience nonetheless. does this irk you as much as me?

patty, it does bother me as well. I will always wait before sitting down if play is going on. But some fans are impatient and don't. Sometimes, the ushers make fans wait for the whistle. But it should be all the time. I enjoy the games otherwise. It's a nice place to watch a game. I wish they'd cut out of some of that canned music. Give me more organ between plays. It's better.

One other thing I noticed at this game... Stan Fischer Part II was in attendance :lol: . This white haired man with beard and cowboy hat got up during a break and told the crowd to get up. LOL... he looked exactly like Stan. It's not the first time either. Since they did tie the game, maybe it was a good omen ;) .

Just thought I'd share. One other comment. Wow! Was it cold outside?!?!?!?!?! LMAO

Edited by Derek21

When's the next Devils-Rangers game at the Garden? I haven't been to the Garden since the Big East tournament (I think, maybe it was a different tourney) in the early '90s. And hopefully by then my jersey will come. Can't go into a visiting arena without sporting my colors. Don't want anyone to think I'm a Rangers fan!

I looked up the next game between the teams:

Rangers @ Devils February 11th (Wednesday) 7:30 PM

Puddy, the next MSG game vs the Devs is Saturday, February 21st at 1 PM. Probably an ABC telecast. I'll be there.

Edited by Derek21

ok...here are my thoughts...

game was nothing like i expected. i expected lots of hitting, and truly there was very little of that. early on it was as if both teams were playing the same game. do what you can, but do not give up anything. buliding was dead - honestly i think the cold had something to do with that. even if you were only outside for a block or two you still froze your arse off.

i thought carter was the best ranger foward on the ice last night.

whatever he is 41, 42, mess had some jump in his legs last night. that inside-out move he put on someone coming down the left wing was a heck of a move.

rasmussen scored the first goal correct? might have been the best move i've ever seen from a guy with one goal in 36 games...

when the devils had the 5-3 it should have been the ballgame...

marty was involved...i'd say holik got wacked a few times, but that's expected. that guy is NOT afraid to use his stick when people enter his area...i'll take issue with any of you ticked at holik for running/bumping him...it was both ways. either you call penalties on them both early (holik / brodeur) or you let it all go. i'd much prefer it all to be let go.

did kovalev dress?

around 9:15 it looked as if the islanders were going to get two points and the rangers zip...the night ended with both teams getting one. I'LL TAKE IT!

rasmussen scored the first goal correct? might have been the best move i've ever seen from a guy with one goal in 36 games...

when the devils had the 5-3 it should have been the ballgame...

What a move by Rasmussen! I couldn't quite believe I saw that either, from a guy with 1 goal.

As for the 5-on-3, the Devils got lots of great chances, but Dunham came up huge.

Ok, i was at the game, and I too am disappointed that we couldn't win, but someone needs to give Marty a little credit for makeing like 3 saves with no stick... that stick broke and he just flung his body all over, 2 werent the hardest saves, but I still think despite letting 3 goals by, he can at least get some credit for that 30 seconds :) And that stick broke in a wierd spot, I dont know how it happened!

I guess I'll spare the details.

This game wasn't so awful. ..it gave me hope :evil:

Yeah and I think that the game may well have been just the same with Stevens there. Much as I hate to confess it - he's really not the be all end all to the team (on ice that is :evil: ). I've seen him allow the last minute goal -- maybe in a different style a different mistake but they get by him, even I know that! Sooooo....the Devils were back to the normal bad play. I mean I knew what team I was watching. I felt better, no surprises.

It'll be interesting to see how the craps fair. And I'll get my Stevens fix at least if not a full hour.

the one thing I am seeing that will be a help is that Friesen IS shooting more and looks

on the verge of coming out of his drift much like Elias did about a month ago before

he went on his run....

scary fact... Devils goal leaders:

Elias 13

Pandolfo 9

Brylin 8

no knock on those two but them being 2 and 3 on the team IS a problem.....

I watched the replay of the game before. Brodeur made some great saves in the first and second when the Rangers got chance after chance. It's one of the best games he played. Otherwise, the game would have been over. Especially that save on Kovalev.

My two cents...

That was a good game. Nieds wore the "C" well last night. They played as a team, for the most part. I gotta say, Little G is AWESOME! I wish the rest of the team played as hard as he does, for the WHOLE GAME like he does. :pray: I LOVE G! Marty was awesome! Only the one goal, I believe, was pretty easily stoppable. At least, by Marty standards! :wub:

All in all, an exciting game, I think!?! :rolleyes: Judging by my fingernails, at least! Damn!