What do you want at the new arena?

NewarkDevil5

There are things intrinsically wrong with CAA that not only make it unprofitable, but also remove some of the fun of going to games. What do you want at the new arena, regardless of the location of it? Restaurants? Wider concourses? Walk in souvenir shops? Better food? Better out of town scoreboards? How about outside the arena? What sort of things would you like to see? A tree lined Walk of Fame plaza with the statues of the famous people of NJ sports lining it between trees and benches? The New Jersey Musical Hall of Fame? ESPN Zone? A sporting goods store?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the Air Canada Center has it's own brewery that produces a Molson Special available only at ACC. Budweiser is already in town. I'm not really fond of Bud, but if it was a "Special" brew, I might try it. B)

Other arenas I've been in have big fan shops. A walk in shop instead of a booth would be nice. In Boston there are food courts on all the levels. They also have a few restaurants, I'm not sure if those are available to all instead of just season ticket holders.

In Washington, they have a video arcade, my daughter reminds me. :lol:

Decent sized roads and parking lots if my schedule doesn't permit me to take a train. Easy in and easy out in the same parking lots. Once went to a minor league game, it took 45 minutes to get out of the parking garage as there was only one entry and exit point.

Copy the First Union Center exactly.

Absolutely perfect building. Nice restaurant for season ticket holders (private access from outside). Good Luxury Box dynamic, Multi-level wide concourses. Bright (not black ceiling like CAA). Huge Pro-Shop (customize your own jersey and have it ready at the end of the game). electronic ad boards like in pepsi center (although I know a bunch of you hate this). players walk from the lockerroom to the ice can be seen by fans - through the concourse (always like this in the few arenas that do it). Not just out-of town scores...have a few areas where the out of town games are on TV's.

basically, create as much as possible for every type of fan.

Make sure it has a low roof and more seats in the lower tier than the upper tier, anything over 18,000 seats is foolish, I'd go as far as to say 17,800 should be the capacity. It should be an intimite and ORIGINAL arena, don't fall into the trap of building another pepsi center or xcel energy arena. Make this the NHL's camden yards.

Edited by '7'

a team store would be NICE too :P

If they are gonna make a carbon copy of a building I hope they go look at

Columbus (well minus the practice rink inside the building which IS cool but I like

South Mountain Arena)

that building in Columbus is just BEAUTIFUL !!!!!

No Video games though.. I'm too addicted and would miss real hockeu plugging

quarters in !!!

oh yeah.. and PLEASE NO to the scoreboard thing that goes around the area between

the upper and lower section like they have in Dallas... that freaking thing makes

me go blind !!!

Edited by CRASHER

I restraunt like the Hard Rock Cafe in the Skydome, that is open all the time so you can see the arena empty would be cool. You need a team store at the entrance that is open durring the day and games, with sperate smaller booths around. Don't use bright yellow seats like in Boston. Cup holders are nice, we have them in Manchester NH, AHL arena. I think it is Colorado the glass without the poles on the outside. Thats it i guess.

A few things I liked at other arenas:

A Modell's. The MCI Center has one, and it's awesome. It has a ton of Caps stuff but also stuff from - gasp! - every other team! The format works so well. Even on the busiest of gamenights, it's never that busy because of the way they designed it. Genius.

Seamless glass. For Marty.

Boards that give more. For the player's safety. Plus it makes any hit more exciting by rattling back and giving a louder noise. Listen to games in St. Louis... every hit seems so huge and the huge hits sound insane! Definitely a crowd pleaser, plus the injuries go way down.

More food options. I don't know if I'd want a restaurant like in the MCI Center, but I wouldn't complain, I guess. The food options need to expand. In Albany each concession place had different types of beer and yes, that meant I traveled halfway around the arena to get more Labatt's, for sure. They also have fried dough, which is immensely popular there. I think they should use the MCI Center as an example. What they do is have a bunch of average concession stands all over the arena but then they have specialty stuff in between. They have fried dough too :) , and a place where you can get many different types of beer :) .

A pre-game light show. Cheesy, not hockey-based at all, but it gives the kids a thrill. Plus it wakes up the crowd before the players come on the ice (= more applause and more booing of the visitors). I know with the Caps they timed it so it coincided with the chorus of Marilyn Manson's "Beautiful People," you know where it gets all high all of a sudden? Their entrance becomes ten times more powerful.

A place where you can get customized jerseys during the game. Like a place where you can order the jersey before the game starts and pick it up sometime in the third period. Walk home with a new jersey. I've heard of arenas doing this and it seems popular.

A place to hang out outside. The Pepsi Arena in Albany has this, where it's like a courtyard outside. It makes hanging out outside the arena before and after the game more fun.

Maybe that's it... I dunno... I'll try to think of more!!!

fried dough? You mean funnel cake? Funnel cake rules. I think a restaurant is necessary for business people so I have no problem with it. Staples Center in LA has great food choices because they have real places selling their food there. They even make fresh Krispy Kremes at the arena.

If they make a multiple concourse arena which I am sure they will, they need to have many many ways to get from the upper concourse down to the lower concourse or outside directly. That is what I hate about Staples Center and Pepsi Center, it is very tough to leave the upper level after a game because there are only a handful of ways to get down.

I would like to see some famous fast food resturant have their food there (Like McDonalds, Wendys, etc). That would make great business there.

Club seats like the FU Center, the Garden, etc. Where the waitors/waitresses serve you.

In one of the concourses, Devils Hall of Fame. A must. Just plaques of great moments, and something dedicated to McMullen there. Like his face on the wall scuplted (sp?) in bronze and his history.

My brother was at the Fleet Center for the Season opener and he talked about this private area where you can sit anywhere you want in the area and watch the game. I don't remember if he said it extended all the way around the arena or it was just in one section. He said there's a bar in it, TVs, and nice seats.

Seats with Cup holders.

Extreme-Luxury boxes wrapping around the top of the arena and only the ppl with tickets to those boxes are allowed access there. I've been int he FU Center ones, and they kick ass. Very much so.

Since this will be finished around when I turn 21, I want the following beers: LABATT, Michelob, Bud (I like that Special Brewery idea that the ACC has, Bud should do that, their plant is right down the road), and that's it. I like those 3 the most.

Air hockey and other exciting little games out in the concourse to in between periods or before the game.

White safety netting to match the white ceiling so the arena looks more defined.

Anything but purple seats. And pink too. Red seats would look nice. Like Maroon.

No useless banners. Just our banners hanging in glory.

7 side Center Ice scoreboard. Four for the game on a clear TV, and then 3 for the penalties, SOG, and what not.

The LCD strip that runs around all the new arenas that has flashy graphics when a goal is scored. I like the Pepsi Center when a goal is scored, they have that along with the name and number of the player that scored. Looks awesome.

No more than 17,500-18,000 seats.

I can go on and on but its lunch time, I will post more later.

That is a good call on the lame banners. I hate those black banners at the CAA. They are childish and take away from our banners.

Also, seats that face the right way and at the right angle for hockey. The CAA is pretty good but they way they do it in Toronto is superior.

A covered, climate controlled walkway from wherever the arena is to Penn Station. It gets cold in Newark in the winter. If they built an extension of the Gateway walkway to the arena and left it open on gamenights that would be fine.

a BIG window to see outside either on downtown Newark or on the NYC Skyline like they have at Poland Spring Arena and Staples Center in CA.

A bar inside the arena that stays open after the game and shows other game/sports so you have a convenient place to go to grab a drink and watch some of the late games or the Yankees or whatever afterwards.

Allow me to bring in a bottle of water or soda or other non-alchoholic beverage. I get thirsty screaming during games and forcing me to pay $4 for a bottle of soda is insane. The CAA is the only facility in the area that won't let you bring in your own drinks/food. Even Giants Stadium will let you bring things in. Also, if I do pay the $4 for soda let me keep the cap! people kick over bottles all the time and without the cap the chances of your soda (or water) spilling all over goes way way up.

Play the radio cast of the game in the concourse. If you are walking around and cannot stop in front of a TV to watch the game it would be nice to be able to hear it.

Seamless glass. For Marty.

Boards that give more. For the player's safety. Plus it makes any hit more exciting by rattling back and giving a louder noise. Listen to games in St. Louis... every hit seems so huge and the huge hits sound insane! Definitely a crowd pleaser, plus the injuries go way down.

Isn't that an oxymoron? The boards have far less give to them when the glass is seamless as opposed to the regular glass. Also, I've heard that getting checked into seamless glass is like running into a brick wall.

First off I'd like to say that this was a great idea for a thread.

------

1. We should have a team-store where you can have your jersey made by the end of the game, and also not have to pay authentic prices for replica jerseys...

2. We should have wider concourses.

3. Nicer luxury boxes.

4. Electronic advertisement boards like in NYC that post the stocks.

5. Make the concession stands set back from the concourse so that there isn't traffic.

6. Make sure that bathrooms are bigger, and are also set back so that lines don't cut into the concourse.

7. Cup holders.... So that my soda and others beers don't spill everywhere.

8. Chairs for the ushers, they stand for 3 hours...

9. A nicer owners box - I've seen Lou's, its not that great.

10. Restuarants accesible to all fans surrounding the arena.

Thats all I can think of for now.

More to come.

the hallf of fame idea is a good one

another thing I saw that was hella cool in Columbus... they have a big rack and inside

the rack they keep all the Hats Thrown on the cie for hat tricks (which eas empty

back in 1999, but still a great idea)

and lots of natural lighting to see the outside skyline... it adds a feeling of the arena

truly being a part of the city !!

another thing I saw that was hella cool in Columbus... they have a big rack and inside

the rack they keep all the Hats Thrown on the cie for hat tricks (which eas empty

It would be pretty empty with this team, too. Can we start throwing stuff on the ice for shutouts?

It would be pretty empty with this team, too. Can we start throwing stuff on the ice for shutouts?

Well, yeah but what?

Marty has a better chance of a shut-out, than someone getting a hat-trick.