Devils persuing players

cyrisjoe

I havent had the chance to read up on this because to see more info i need to be a registered member of ESPN insider, i only saw the headline which was

"Rumor: devils persuing Gonchar, O'neil"

this would be the best thing that could happen a offensive defenseman who is a pretty good d man as well

Gonchar is a UFA at the end of the season. Caps lose him no doubt.

He's worth any reasonable pick and no more.

O'Niel is a RFA, with a medium contract... he's worth a lot more.... but he maybe obtainable for picks and/or prospects.... think Ahonen.

Gonchar SUCKS defensively though.. you guys hate Brown.. just wait till you see

Gonchar do an Ozolinsh impression ... not a good idea....

O'Neill would be nice.. still would rather like Bondra personally... but that never

matters :D

As a Cap I'd never just give Gonchar away to Jersey. same goes for Witt -- just the poetic injustice of it all getting Stevens AND the draft picks you lost him for :( I'd be a sucky GM huh? No room for spite in business dealings!

I would like ONeill. but since I went and said it I've jinxed the whole thing :saddevil:

Guest Devsrule

Lou wont get Gonchar because the devils do not have as much to offer as other teams do.

O'neill would fit perfectly with the devils.

Bondra said he does not want to leave the caps, so if he was trades, his heart would still be in Washington.

Lou wont get Gonchar because the devils do not have as much to offer as other teams do.

O'neill would fit perfectly with the devils.

What the difference between Gonchar & O'neill with your right analyse :

we can't offer as other teams do

We are thinking O'Neil, Bondra, etc.

All that matters is that Lou is thinking Marshall, Smelick, or Rheaume.

Occassionally he pulls the Mogilny card...

a slumping offensive star... like O'Neil or Bondra... but it seems way to wide open for Lou to turn that trick.

It's a bunch of baloney. The Devils have the assets to get good players.

Who's getting more and more ice time and power play time at the expense of Rafalski? Paul Martin....which could mean that either Martin or Rafalski is a trade chip.

Here's my trade offer: Brian Rafalski, John Madden, Christian Berglund and a first-round pick for Brendan Witt, Jeff Halpern and Robert Lang, with Washington eating half of Lang's salary. I'd do it because it strengthens our blue line with a physical defenseman and it gets us some offense up the middle, while getting back a checking line center in Halpern.

All apologies to John Madden, but the team will still kill penalties well without him.

Please commence ripping me. :P

Edited by Jerrydevil

Why get Bondra though? He's been quoted many times saying that he wants to stay in Washington, that his heart is in Washingston, and that if he's traded he'll only go back to Washington next year. I'd hate to give something, hell, ANYTHING up for a player who's not going to perform because their 'heart just isn't with the team'. It's not a chance worth taking, IMO.

It's a bunch of baloney. The Devils have the assets to get good players.

Who's getting more and more ice time and power play time at the expense of Rafalski? Paul Martin....which could mean that either Martin or Rafalski is a trade chip.

Here's my trade offer: Brian Rafalski, John Madden, Christian Berglund and a first-round pick for Brendan Witt, Jeff Halpern and Robert Lang, with Washington eating half of Lang's salary. I'd do it because it strengthens our blue line with a physical defenseman and it gets us some offense up the middle, while getting back a checking line center in Halpern.

All apologies to John Madden, but the team will still kill penalties well without him.

Please commence ripping me. :P

we don't need to give up nearly that much to get those players.

madden certainly isn't an untouchable, but trading him for what you've suggested doesn't make a ton of sense.

You know, other than exploding a team that's pretty darn good right now, that's not a bad deal.

Losing one of the best checking centers in hockey...don't know if I want to do that.

Adding Witt and Lang--very, very, very cool. Halpern ain't bad either....

<JESTER>

Why get Bondra though? He's been quoted many times saying that he wants to stay in Washington, that his heart is in Washingston, and that if he's traded he'll only go back to Washington next year. I'd hate to give something, hell, ANYTHING up for a player who's not going to perform because their 'heart just isn't with the team'. It's not a chance worth taking, IMO.

The point is that he's a rent-a-player who obviously isn't going to be back with the team that deals for him. So that decreases his value to the point where you might not have to give up a roster player to rent him for a few weeks. If that's the case, there's not reason not to have a sniper like that on Gomer's wing for the postseason.

<JESTER>

Over on the ESPN boards, a few of the posters are convinced we can get rid of Madden because he's had an awful year...they say he's essentially useless and we have enough 'role players' who can get the 'same job done' (as Madden) like Pando, Marshall, and Stevenson.

They then suggested trading Madden for Satan....

Yeah, I laughed my ass off.