Goalie stats from Game 41 on

maxpower

I knew both goalies played well, but this is absolutely mindnumbing.

Marty: 28 GP 18-7-2 1.75GAA .932SV% 3SO

Moose: 14 GP 9-3-1 1.76GAA .929SV% 2SO

What do I make of this? :lol: This actually makes me less confident as next season goes because we really needed every bit of this in the second half.

So much for Marty being washed up, though I think it's dangerous to expect Marty to start 70+ games next season. Too many variables (starting with age), and although those numbers look very good, we can't throw out the first half, when he was putting 1985-type goalie numbers.

I'm hoping for 50-55 games for Marty next season at a solid level, but obviously I can't pretend to know how a 40-year-old goalie with so many miles on his odometer will perform.

Obviously those are tremendous stats for both goaltenders. The thing that jumps out at me is that Marty is considered one of the best that ever played the position, and Moose, while a fan favorite is a perennial backup. This leads me to think that both goalies benefitted from some tremendous defensive play in front of them during that stretch. The stats really don't validate Marty, in my opinion. Mooses stats were identical, and lets be honest, Moose is not a guy you would build a team around, these stats however might you lead you to think otherwise. I am not calling for Martys retirement, but does anyone honestly believe that the Martin of today, can lead this team to a Stanley Cup? I do not, and with that in mind, it is time to start looking for a replacement.

We should definitely be looking for a replacement - Marty turns 40 next year and his contract expires. This is the moment everyone has been talking about for years and it doesn't seem like we have a solution in place. The clock is ticking.

The thing is: Marty is not awful, contrary to the belief of some. When we were losing in the 1st half, it was both him and the team. And when the team started playing well, the WHOLE team started playing well - including Marty. He's not a titan he used to be, but no way he's a bad goalie.

I knew both goalies played well, but this is absolutely mindnumbing.

Marty: 28 GP 18-7-2 1.75GAA .932SV% 3SO

Moose: 14 GP 9-3-1 1.76GAA .929SV% 2SO

What do I make of this? :lol: This actually makes me less confident as next season goes because we really needed every bit of this in the second half.

we really needed every bit of this in the second half? the devils went 27-11-3. over a full season, that's 114 points. so no, we didn't need every bit of this.

Edited by Triumph

we really needed every bit of this in the second half? the devils went 27-11-3. over a full season, that's 114 points. so no, we didn't need every bit of this

With the worst offense by far in the NHL? Yeah we kinda did need this, but hopefully we won't be the worst offense by far in the NHL next season with Zach back and won't need our goalies to play out of their minds just to scratch out a ton of one-goal games.

We should definitely be looking for a replacement - Marty turns 40 next year and his contract expires. This is the moment everyone has been talking about for years and it doesn't seem like we have a solution in place. The clock is ticking.

The thing is: Marty is not awful, contrary to the belief of some. When we were losing in the 1st half, it was both him and the team. And when the team started playing well, the WHOLE team started playing well - including Marty. He's not a titan he used to be, but no way he's a bad goalie.

This. While Marty is not the goalie he was a few years ago, he is not a bad goalie. The problem now is who backs him up next year? It's going to have to be someone who can handle 25 games or so, which makes me believe it will come from outside the organization. I can't see the team trusting Frazee with that kind of role yet.

With the worst offense by far in the NHL? Yeah we kinda did need this, but hopefully we won't be the worst offense by far in the NHL next season with Zach back and won't need our goalies to play out of their minds just to scratch out a ton of one-goal games.

no, we kinda didn't. again, 114 points is on pace to be the 2nd best team in the NHL. give brodeur a .915 SV% - how many goals a game do you think he's giving up?

no, we kinda didn't. again, 114 points is on pace to be the 2nd best team in the NHL. give brodeur a .915 SV% - how many goals a game do you think he's giving up?

Enough to be a lot closer to .500...you're just not appreciating how much of a difference having a 1.75 GAA is to a 2.10 (which is still very good) when every game gets decided by one goal and your offense doesn't give you much help. That'd be quite a few more losses, through no fault of the goalie's.

And on pace is the key word. You're still talking about a half season, what 57 points? If our goalies even gave up 15 more goals combined in these 40 games that'd be around a 2.10, 2.20 GAA and we'd probably lose at least ten-twelve points right there because of our hideous offense and all these games coming down to a goal here and there. So now instead of 57 points you're barely at a playoff pace with goalies still playing extremely well.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Yeah, they kinda did Tri. The team doesn't score, and 15 of their second half wins came by 1 goal. Their goals-for (excluding one shootout phantom goal) in those games was 2.4 GFPG. I don't have to tell you that 2.4 GFPG isn't very good.

So the first half of the season never happened? I can't just assume that the Devils are just going to double what they did this half and find a way to come up with 110+ points, even with Parise coming back.

Are you giving Brodeur a .915% for next season? He put up a .903% this season. His career is .913. I can't assume a .915 for next season.

Yeah, they kinda did Tri. The team doesn't score, and 15 of their second half wins came by 1 goal. Their goals-for (excluding one shootout phantom goal) in those games was 2.4 GFPG. I don't have to tell you that 2.4 GFPG isn't very good.

I honestly thought it was more than that :lol: Although that doesn't include a game like the Atlanta home contest where we 'won by two' but nearly gave up the tying goal in the last minute before scoring an empty-netter. Same with the last Toronto game for that matter, so that's at least seventeen wins that came down to the final minute. And many of those one-goal wins were 1-0 and 2-1, there weren't exactly 4-3 games in there.

Plus the three loser points also factor in as points decided by one goal. I mean if we give up one goal in that stupid scoreless tie in Pittsburgh, that's another point that goes bye-bye.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I honestly thought it was more than that :lol: Although that doesn't include a game like the Atlanta home contest where we 'won by two' but nearly gave up the tying goal in the last minute before scoring an empty-netter. Same with the last Toronto game for that matter, so that's at least seventeen wins that came down to the final minute. And many of those one-goal wins were 1-0 and 2-1, there weren't exactly 4-3 games in there.

Also worth mentioning is that, from Feb 1 on (32 games with a 21-9-2 record), this team managed to score 3+ goals in regulation (including ENGs) just 10 times...so in the other 22 games, they managed 2 goals or less in regulation. They had a 9-0-1 record in the 3+ goals in regulation games and a 12-9-1 record in the 2- goals in regulation games. Kind of miraculous that the Devils managed a winning record in those games.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Parise makes a huge difference because he will account for another 50+ net increase in GFA. That'll be the biggest difference next year offensively. He also draws more penalties than probably anyone playing against Boston today.

It's not that the first half of this season didn't happen, it's that the first half of this season was literally the worst shooting and save percentage combined of any team in NHL history (that's a .943 combined). That includes expansion teams. I cannot believe that that is sustainable or a reflection of true talent.

So sure, give Brodeur a .915, since that's what I expect out of him. That's still good enough for a 100 point season.

Edited by Triumph

In all seriousness, I love knowing Marty will be around for another year or 2 and want him to keep playing! However, it's time for his understudy to be in place. Knowing Luongo is in place for Vancouver for the next 10+ years, what would it take to get Cory Schnieder from them? Their going to have to trade him at some point to someone and he'll be a franchise goalie for whoever gets him. I'd like to see the Devils be aggressive and get a stud goalie like him that can learn from and share time with Marty for a year or 2 before taking over. There is nothing in the Devils system that will replace Marty, lets be honest with ourselves!

In all seriousness, I love knowing Marty will be around for another year or 2 and want him to keep playing! However, it's time for his understudy to be in place. Knowing Luongo is in place for Vancouver for the next 10+ years, what would it take to get Cory Schnieder from them? Their going to have to trade him at some point to someone and he'll be a franchise goalie for whoever gets him. I'd like to see the Devils be aggressive and get a stud goalie like him that can learn from and share time with Marty for a year or 2 before taking over. There is nothing in the Devils system that will replace Marty, lets be honest with ourselves!

The trading for Schneider point is a great one- I don't what Vancouver would be looking to get back, as I'm not really familiar with their needs, but they are gonna have to trade him. Knowing this, I don't know how much it affects Vancouver's levarage in potential discussions, so he may be able to be had for less than what might be expected. I really don't know, but maybe someone more in tune with Vancouver's situation can add something. I've actually been thinking we may go after Schneider for a while.

knowing that they are going to have to trade him (or let him go at some point) really doesn't affect them in any negtiations because if they don't get a really good offer they just ride out his remaining cheap years on his contract and have the most insane goalie tandem in the NHL by far. It worked out just fine this season.

I think any deal for him would have to start with a 1st and end with a good prospect or go 2nd and 2nd/3rd line forward to help out their depth. 1st and henrique or 2nd and Clarkson.

Both are steep prices to pay, but that the price of aquiring high talent.

The trading for Schneider point is a great one- I don't what Vancouver would be looking to get back, as I'm not really familiar with their needs, but they are gonna have to trade him. Knowing this, I don't know how much it affects Vancouver's levarage in potential discussions, so he may be able to be had for less than what might be expected. I really don't know, but maybe someone more in tune with Vancouver's situation can add something. I've actually been thinking we may go after Schneider for a while.

Hello did someone ask for a vancouverite? :whistling:

I don't think the fact that Luongo is locked up hurts Scheider's trade value. If they really like Scheider, the Canucks could always ask Luongo for a trade and/or continue with the 2 goalie system that worked so well this year. Having Luongo only play 60 games really helped his performance (much like trying ppl have been trying to get Marty to do...).

The goalie situation in Vancouver will be defined by what happens this postseason. If Luongo thrives and the Canucks get to the West/Cup Finals expect Scheider to be traded this off season. Any faltering by Luongo or an early exit and expect Scheider to remain a Canuck for at least another year and Luongo being asked for a trade. That's the general consensus around here.

If Vancouver was to trade Scheider, what could we be looking for? If I remember, 3 of our top 5 defencemen contracts expire this year so depending on who re-signs, we might be weak there. 2nd line scorer (winger) and a capable backup to replace Scheider. (give us back the Moose :P) I am not saying all of those for Scheider, just thinking of what holes could be left in our system after this year.

Edited by Spud387

Ummm these stats are supposed to show Marty is not washed up? How do you figure that?

Basically he did not do well until Lemaire came in and had the offense come back down low further than MacLean and took the pressure off of the defense and Marty. Therefore Marty had a lot more help defesively in the 2nd half than in the first half. Yeah his save % went up but with the defense the Devils were playing under Lemaire there were a lot less quality shots on him than under MacLean.

This board amazes me in the type of spin some people generates from simple stats.

Ummm these stats are supposed to show Marty is not washed up? How do you figure that?

Basically he did not do well until Lemaire came in and had the offense come back down low further than MacLean and took the pressure off of the defense and Marty. Therefore Marty had a lot more help defesively in the 2nd half than in the first half. Yeah his save % went up but with the defense the Devils were playing under Lemaire there were a lot less quality shots on him than under MacLean.

This board amazes me in the type of spin some people generates from simple stats.

How do you "hide" a .930SV%? The argument *against* Marty was always his relatively LOW SV% because of the low number of shots he saw in any given game.

But, this is NJDevs, so why am I shocked? The guy puts out probably one of the best half-seasons in his career and it's spin.

How do you "hide" a .930SV%? The argument *against* Marty was always his relatively LOW SV% because of the low number of shots he saw in any given game.

But, this is NJDevs, so why am I shocked? The guy puts out probably one of the best half-seasons in his career and it's spin.

no, the argument against marty is his relatively low SV%. period. it has very little to do with how many shots he faces during a given game.

i don't think this is one of his best half-seasons ever either but it is quite good.

People who hate Marty will always hate Marty. He's here until the end of next season no matter what. After that, he's gonna retire or take a significant pay cut. My hopes are that the Devils get their hands on a quality young goalie like Schneider or Desjardins or something, or hell maybe Pekka Rinne next year if he goes UFA. Wedgewood and Clermont are still a ways off.

My argument has always been for the $5 million Marty makes this season and next, he's fine. Luongo, Lundqvist, Giguere, Kiprusoff, Vokoun, Miller, Thomas, Backstrom, Huet, and Fluery all make more right now. And Marty signed that contract 5 years ago, probably coming off a Vezina season.

Edited by Devil Dan 56