Sather set to quit as coach

Weekes Head

I got this quote from Sather from an AP article in the sports section of AOL news:

"There isn't anyone in the organization that has a no-trade in his contract, so I think when we get down to that stage we'll make some decisions," Sather said. "We're going to spend the next couple weeks evaluating where we're going to go and how we're going to get to where we decide to go. When the deadline comes around, you'll probably have an idea."

Okay, so does Holik have a no trade? :noclue:

Finally! Something to get excited about. Tom Renney should have been the coach from Day One. If he was, this season wouldn't have evolved into a disaster. Renney will do a good job and bolster team morale. Slats just needs to make the right deals to rebuild the team and set them up for the future.

Finally! Something to get excited about. Tom Renney should have been the coach from Day One. If he was, this season wouldn't have evolved into a disaster. Renney will do a good job and bolster team morale. Slats just needs to make the right deals to rebuild the team and set them up for the future.

Ooooh boy.

Derek still hasn't realized that Sather's Kool-aid REALLY IS POISON!!!

Derek, you need to lie down. Tom Renney wasn't saving the Rangers' ass. Ever listen to that guy in the Steve Albert interviews on the radio? He's as clueless as Sather.

Damn.... worst news I've heard from ranger$ land all year.

I was hoping for a lifetime contract for Sather.

Not to worry, he's still GM - for now anyway. That still leaves plenty of time for outrageous contracts and horrid player selection. Glen has more than enough time to continue his obliteration of the franchise.

Yeah...this is only news when (if) Sather hires a real coach and not another one of his puppets who's going to be on the other end of the walkie-talkie.

Of course the better news for Rangers fans/bad news for us is if they actually are able to peddle off a few of their players and now it seems as if they're finally going to give up the ghost and at least try to trade a few of their players away.

To be perfectly honest, I think Sather is done with the outrageous signings and stupid trades. I really do think he's going to try and start dismantling the team leading up to March 9th. Even with him doing that, I still think it's still years away for that team to be conpetitive again.

I hope he isn't that smart yet though. Hire Trottier back!!

Derek, you need to lie down. Tom Renney wasn't saving the Rangers' ass. Ever listen to that guy in the Steve Albert interviews on the radio? He's as clueless as Sather.

Mayhaps we should leave Derek to his dilusions. He seems much happier in this world of his where all the Rangers need is Tom Renney and Sather making lots of trades.

So I'm going to be the first to say congratulations Derek! This is great news for the Rangers. A firm step in the right direction. I'm quite sure that Sather, with lots of spare time to evaluate his teams needs and the talent available, will be able to make the changes necessary to take the Rangers into the playoffs next year, and Cup contenders within three. And putting Renney in charge is pure gold. He should have their collective asses in gear. His wealth of hockey knowledge should be the kick in the pants they need. Perhaps he can turn this ship around and they can squeek in this year!

:unsure:

Edited by Don Whiting

For us (Devil) fans; this is the best news yet. The inept Sather stays; and the change is just enough that maybe Dolan sticks with him another year (or longer).

I can't believe I was upset when Neil Smith was let go; Sather has turned out so much better, I mean worse. You know what I mean.

On the other side, I do feel a pinch bad for their good fans, just a pinch.

With him still at the reigns as GM there is still plenty for him to screw up. I don't think the mentlity he has that this is still 1980s hockey is going to go away now that he is not coaching the team.

As long as he is still involved at moving players, and signing these outrageous contracts nothing is going to change in Rangerland.

Wrong Jerry! You need to stick to what you know. If Renney had coached them, Messier wouldn't have been overused in every situation. And Lundmark and Ortmeyer would have gotten more ice-time. And Holik would have been in his checking role shutting down scoring lines. The entire team would be different. They'd have a lot more wins and points. Renney's system would have worked. But they had the moron Slats running things and he doesn't have the passion and can't relate to today's players. That's why the team quit on him. With Renney, it never would have happened. They also wouldn't have gotten embarrassed so many times. Coaching makes a difference. You should know.

Mayhaps we should leave Derek to his dilusions. He seems much happier in this world of his where all the Rangers need is Tom Renney and Sather making lots of trades.

So I'm going to be the first to say congratulations Derek! This is great news for the Rangers. A firm step in the right direction. I'm quite sure that Sather, with lots of spare time to evaluate his teams needs and the talent available, will be able to make the changes necessary to take the Rangers into the playoffs next year, and Cup contenders within three. And putting Renney in charge is pure gold. He should have their collective asses in gear. His wealth of hockey knowledge should be the kick in the pants they need. Perhaps he can turn this ship around and they can squeek in this year!

:unsure:

Is that what you really believe Don? Because if you do, it's moronic. Renney is a system guy and had he coached from the beginning, this season wouldn't have been a disaster. Stop being a wiseass. The season is over. If you actually think I want to make the playoffs, you need your head examined. The best thing is for them to get a high draft pick.

Sather only did this because he couldn't take the booing or the chants calling for his head:

``The chanting at the Garden was distracting to the players, they seemed to get uptight. You hear something like that as soon as you make a mistake, and instead of getting better, you get worse,'' Sather said. ``I think that's part of the reason I stepped down.''

Because Slats could never be accountable. He just can't take it.

You really don't know how clueless Slats was. The one thing he can do is make deals. That's why I'm not that worried over what he'll do over the next few weeks.

Renney was also dispatched by Messier and company in Vancouver in 97. He was widely regarded as incompetent and unfit to coach a team with the egos of Bure, Messier, and Mogilny.

He will not do well in New York either. Better than Sather, sure, if he matches lines and makes the right defensive pairings. But no coach can turn this team around.

Is that what you really believe Don? Because if you do, it's moronic.

No. I was TRYING to keep you optimistic. I think they'll break the Devils franchise record for consecutive playoff misses. I just didn't want to break your new-found enthusiasm. :P