Pando looks to be odd man out

Christopher_watts31_ls

Speaking of Sarg I wonder if it wouldn't have been better with him in Maddens place this year. I guess we'll never know.

sarg was finished. that's why not one other team in the league took a chance on him, even though he would have been a good veteran presence on a team that needed it. i loved the guy too, but it's time to let go.

madden has struggled this season but he has certainly played better lately. i can see him on a line with shanny and rolston sooner than later and i think that line will be dangerous.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if Pando and Rupp will rotate or Pando will just be the odd man out.

I think depending on the team the Devils play there will be a rotation with Rupp and Pandolfo in and out of the line up. All these years of having Pandolfo in the starting line up and now to see him being benched is sad, because he is loyal to Lou and this Devils team. All the years he played as one of the Devils best Pk'ers is now sitting. Pandolfo just needs to play better now when he gets the oppurtunity. Looks like he never really recoveed from that serious injury he had last season. Rupp will sit IMO, when the Devils play teams that dont have a fighter or enforcer. The Devils will need Pandolfo in the line up vs. teams that can score lots of goals.

Oh, I know what he did in college, but what I said was 'as a pro'. And, as a pro, he's never been close to being a sniper. A lot of guys put up big numbers is juniors and college.

I understand that but you were responding to a post and the person never said anything of him being a sniper as a pro. I wasnt sure if you knew he actually used to be a very nice goal scorer.

All these years of having Pandolfo in the starting line up and now to see him being benched is sad, because he is loyal to Lou and this Devils team.

Brylin?

SatansDevils you are just upset again cause one of you bold statements were completely false again. you are always wrong on this forum. deal with it.

Pandolfo has done nothing THIS year, which is why he is sitting........

Brylin was loyal for the devils his whole career but YOU wanted him out faster than anyone...

I understand that but you were responding to a post and the person never said anything of him being a sniper as a pro. I wasnt sure if you knew he actually used to be a very nice goal scorer.

True, he never did say 'as a pro'. But what he did in college never transferred to the AHL or NHL, so he can't really revert to a 'sniper' mentality, especially now that he is a much slower (although, much smarter) player than he was back then. When I read 'used to be a sniper', I guess I was thinking more along the lines of a Bobby Carpenter, who had some great goal-scoring years in the early 80's, but turned himself into a very reliable defense-first forward later on. (Earning a cup in the process... :koolaid:)

Here's an interesting question... when Pandolfo was first called up, what was expected of him? I don't remember if he was brought up to be a defensive forward or not. For example, we expected goals out of Bergfors, and when Rupp was originally drafted 9th overall in 1998 by the Isles, I assume he wasn't expected to be an enforcer.

Simple... if Pando was playing better he wouldn't sit. I love the guy but the NHL is all about results and 'what have you done for me lately'. If he was playing lights out then Lou wouldn't have returned Shanny's call.

Exactly.

Well, it makes sense. End of the Islanders game Sutter was skating Pando-Holik-Rupp as a line. I thought it would be Madden because of that, but it makes sense that you could pull Pando out of that line and put Shanny in very easily. Ah well, it had to be someone. Just wish it didn't have to be that contract...

Pandolfo unhappy about being a healthy scratch tonight

Devils left wing Jay Pandolfo was understandably disappointed when head coach Brent Sutter told him before today's morning skate that he would a be a healthy scratch tonight against Nasvhille so Brendan Shanahan could make his season debut.

"I'm not happy," he said.

Pandolfo's pre-skate conversation with Sutter spoiled the morning for him.

"It wasn't too much fun out there, that's for sure," he said.

Pandolfo said he had "no idea" of the last time he was a healthy scratch in his career.

"It's been a while," he said.

Pandolfo admitted Sutter's decision was not a complere surprise to him.

"Someone had to come out, so I figured it was a possiblity," he said.

http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/2009/01...ch-tonight.html

Pandolfo unhappy about being a healthy scratch tonight

Devils left wing Jay Pandolfo was understandably disappointed when head coach Brent Sutter told him before today's morning skate that he would a be a healthy scratch tonight against Nasvhille so Brendan Shanahan could make his season debut.

"I'm not happy," he said.

Pandolfo's pre-skate conversation with Sutter spoiled the morning for him.

"It wasn't too much fun out there, that's for sure," he said.

Pandolfo said he had "no idea" of the last time he was a healthy scratch in his career.

"It's been a while," he said.

Pandolfo admitted Sutter's decision was not a complere surprise to him.

"Someone had to come out, so I figured it was a possiblity," he said.

http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/2009/01...ch-tonight.html

Maybe this will get him fired up to play in his next game....

But then again, it probably won't.

there is no reason to trade him because this team needs the depth. and he's got a tough contract to trade for a guy with his skills.

not surprised by pando sitting, i just hope rupp keeps playing the way he has.

And if rupp stops playiong the way he has then i think that he will come out and pando will be back in

And if rupp stops playiong the way he has then i think that he will come out and pando will be back in

yup. unless we have an injury, players like Rupp and Pandolfo will have to step it up each game and each shift...... line up spots will be earned not based on reputation.

Your right sarge is slower then every center in the league, especially Holik.

bobby holik 6'4" 220 lb

sergei brylin 5' 11" 190 lb

brylin couldn't play center well in 2006 what would make you think he could do it now, a step slower? he got beaten along the boards all last year.

bobby holik 6'4" 220 lb

sergei brylin 5' 11" 190 lb

brylin couldn't play center well in 2006 what would make you think he could do it now, a step slower? he got beaten along the boards all last year.

I agree with Tri here, this might be a case of time healing wounds but I remember cringing when Brylin had to get a puck on the boards. You just knew he was going to lose the battle and cost a chance in the offensive zone.

I agree with Tri here, this might be a case of time healing wounds but I remember cringing when Brylin had to get a puck on the boards. You just knew he was going to lose the battle and cost a chance in the offensive zone.

Oh I agree Brylin would be just as awful as Pando...but I'd feel a bit better about having an over the hill Brylin with a one year, $1.5 million deal than an over the hill Pando with a three year, $7.5 million deal.

I do wonder whether a move's coming, since Pando's been a good Devil I don't think Lou will let him be a healthy scratch the rest of the year (though he might not be anyway given the age of some of our forwards).

Brylin was probably less effective last season than Pando has been this year. They were both useless in the offensive zone but Pando has still been better at using his stick defensively than the defense Brylin was bringing.

Oh I agree Brylin would be just as awful as Pando...but I'd feel a bit better about having an over the hill Brylin with a one year, $1.5 million deal than an over the hill Pando with a three year, $7.5 million deal.

I do wonder whether a move's coming, since Pando's been a good Devil I don't think Lou will let him be a healthy scratch the rest of the year (though he might not be anyway given the age of some of our forwards).

On a good note since Pando is 34 his cap hit can be hid in the minors if the Devils are left with no other option.