NFL Off Season 2015 - Coaches, Caps, and Combines OH MY!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to see the league values the integrity of the game more than the integrity of a human being.

This is the same league that valued integrity of the game so much that we got scab football in 1987 and high school referees 2 years ago.

I'm on board with you. Looking at this and looking at Rice it's disturbing.

It's a straw man argument and not even remotely comparable. Two wrongs don't make a right either, they can't let every broken rule and obstruction go unpunished cause they were horribly tone deaf with Rice.

If the Pats had been transparent from the beginning Brady's probably out a game or two tops with maybe getting docked a mid round pick but since they chose to be defiant and disingenuous calling the league out they deserved more, especially with their history.

Edited by NJDevs4978

It's a straw man argument and not even remotely comparable. Two wrongs don't make a right either, they can't let every broken rule and obstruction go unpunished cause they were horribly tone deaf with Rice.

If the Pats had been transparent from the beginning Brady's probably out a game or two tops with maybe getting docked a mid round pick but since they chose to be defiant and disingenuous calling the league out they deserved more, especially with their history.

People just want to bitch. There was no way the league could've won the PR battle in the court of public opinion on this one, and in the end.. who gives a fvck?

If they went light on the discipline for Brady\Pats, fans would've said: "Oh.. the NFL lets everyone gets away with a slap on the wrist, just like what happened to Rice. The in-mates run the asylum" :blahblah: Now you have people saying: "GASP.. how dare there give Brady a harsher punishment than Rice for a lesser crime."

There will always be those who talk out of both sides of their mouth. The NFL needed to make an example out of the Patriots. They are 2nd offenders, and (like Has said) their disingenuous attitude never helped their case.

People just want to bitch. There was no way the league could've won the PR battle in the court of public opinion on this one, and in the end.. who gives a fvck?

If they went light on the discipline for Brady\Pats, fans would've said: "Oh.. the NFL lets everyone gets away with a slap on the wrist, just like what happened to Rice. The in-mates run the asylum" :blahblah: Now you have people saying: "GASP.. how dare there give Brady a harsher punishment than Rice for a lesser crime."

There will always be those who talk out of both sides of their mouth. The NFL needed to make an example out of the Patriots. They are 2nd offenders, and (like Has said) their disingenuous attitude never helped their case.

So much this.  

At some point, the "...but Ray Rice got two games" argument has to, and eventually will...die.  

The NFL has become a PR whipping boy as late, and in some ways deservedly so, but when they fix the problem, those same talking heads need to give credit where credit is due.

numerous reports on twitter suggesting that brady will get a 2 gamesuspension via appeal instead of 4

And Robert Kraft says that the Pats will not appeal the NFL discipline against the team, accepting it with "reluctance".

I don't doubt that the two are related.

Yes. Francesa mentioned it as well.

The big hit in this penalty will probably be the draft picks, not the suspension itself. The Patriots can survive the suspension, they play Pitt and Buffalo and will likely go 1-1 in those games.

Yes. Francesa mentioned it as well.

The big hit in this penalty will probably be the draft picks, not the suspension itself. The Patriots can survive the suspension, they play Pitt and Buffalo and will likely go 1-1 in those games.

it would be rather interestig to see what the pats would do though if they go 2-0 and garapalo looks legit

it would be rather interestig to see what the pats would do though if they go 2-0 and garapalo looks legit

2-0 won't be enough.  If the suspension had been 6+ and Garrapolo had been playing like a vet...then I think it might've gotten a little more interesting.  But I think it's pretty simple...Brady's the man in NE until he isn't, either by choice (retirement or simply wanting to play elsewhere) or by no longer being able to play at a winning level. 

The big hit in this penalty will be the draft picks, not the suspension itself.

Where do I go to get my reputation back?” Been nearly 30 years since that quote was muttered, but it still rings true.

R. Kelly was acquitted of statutory rape. OJ was innocent of murder. Raymond Donovan got off on larceny & fraud. In a society where perception is reality.. the collateral damage to Brady’s career\legacy has already been done. Maybe the record books won’t place an asterisk next to his name.. but people will. People will forever adjoin him with: suspicion, cheating, controversy, and doubt. The same doubt they will hold the New England Patriots to, circa: 2000-2015. (of course with the exception of those who reside in Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont, and Rhode Island) Brady can get his suspension cut all the way down to 1 game for all I care. It really doesn’t matter. All that matters is the idiom: “suspension” appended to Tom Brady’s name.. and THAT reason why; *cheating! Tom Brady won’t be there to open the season when the Superbowl banner gets raised. That’s something that never happened to Elway, Montana, Peyton, Rodgers, Favre, Young, or Bradshaw.. and if you don’t think that doesn’t taint part of Brady’s career, and\or bother him like mad, you’re kidding yourself.

Even as a Jets fan, you can’t help but to feel a little bad for them throughout the last 8 years. (since Spygate) It’s not everyday you see a franchise as successful as theirs, have their achievements all tarnished and stained. But the little sympathy I may feel, cannot be overtaken by one singular truth: -Their behavior didn’t help matters over these last 5 months in the least! The way in which they acted, from the time Kraft stomped his feet demanding the league apologize to his team before the Superbowl, to the moment when the Wells report went public, has been an absolute disgrace. Up until today, the Patriots meticulously made every poor decision you could possibly make.. so much so, that they’ve embarrassed themselves worse than the crime committed itself. I understand they were left with little recourse. After all, this is their legacy that’s at stake here.. and a blemish of this magnitude needs to be faced full throttle. I get that. But to go as far as to insult everyone’s intelligence with juvenile explanations of what the term “deflate” really meant?? Now you’re just degenerating this into a 6th grade argument. Have a little dignity.. whatever’s left. Please!

There is little question that: The Patriot Way, will forever continue.. scandals be damned! Their fansbase’s resolve in their organization has undoubtedly strengthened in the face of this fiasco. But know this: Even their most loyal fans are (deep down) looking forward to the next regime. They're looking forward to seeing this chapter close, and a new one begin. I think that notion in-and-of itself speaks for how this group will be remembered.

Edited by Beezer34

Beez, as far as Brady's legacy goes...some people will place the mental asterisk next to his achievements, some won't.  It is what it is.  Don't think mentioning a double-murderer (who WAS found liable in a civil trial) is really necessary here.

No one really comes out of this looking good...not the Patriots, not Brady, not Goodell and not the NFL.  Goodell still seems like an incompetent dictatorish clown who comes up with completely arbitrary punishments based on how he either thinks the public will react, or how it does react.  The NFL and Patriot brands have both taken a hit.  Brady will be hated for a while outside of NE and the Patriot fanbase, and in some circles, he'll always be hated.  He'll have to live with the "yeah but"s from here on out.  Again, it is what it is. 

The fact that Brady won't be able to walk into a restaurant or a mall or a movie theatre outside of New England for the rest of his life without everyone wanting to scream 'CHEATER'! at him is good enough for me.

http://nesn.com/2015/05/brady-cheated-chant-erupts-in-seattle-as-mariners-host-red-sox-video/

"BRAY-DEE, CHEAT--ED  **clap, clap, clap-clap-clap!"

..to hear that from opposing fans, every.. single.. time.. the pats have an offensive play? How sweet is THAT going to be this season? :thumbsup:

As a Patriots and Brady hater, if I'm being honest with myself, this doesn't really give me that much ammunition. Spygate never really did either.

If anything, from the Brady hating standpoint, the best thing that can happen is to see Garropollo succeed during Brady's suspension. It would be the second time that a back up QB has been able to succeed in that offense, unlike other teams that have gone to absolute sh!t when they lost their star QB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As a Patriots and Brady hater, if I'm being honest with myself, this doesn't really give me that much ammunition. Spygate never really did either.

If anything, from the Brady hating standpoint, the best thing that can happen is to see Garropollo succeed during Brady's suspension. It would be the second time that a back up QB has been able to succeed in that offense, unlike other teams that have gone to absolute sh!t when they lost their star QB.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2015/05/tom_brady_appeal_new_england_patriots_fans_have_gone_over_the_deep_end_over.single.html

Great read.

It'll be interesting to see if as part of the deescalation that Goodell now admits to the NFL office's role in turning a molehill into a mountain with the original "11 of 12 balls 2+ PSI low" report leaked to Mortensen and the official letter to the Patriots from Pash leaked to the press saying that the balls were measured at 10 PSI (all have since been proven false).

People will view Brady the same as they always have.  Those that love him will continue to and so will those that hate him.  What has to be factored into the whole Patriots legacy piece is the hyper-media/Internet era in which they are performing where everybody now has little fear of voicing an opinion whether that opinion be honest or trolling for laughs and attention.  Its as if sports media coverage has turned sports into reality TV written by the WWE with babyfaces, heals, double crosses, history, revenge, comedy, and drama.  Imagine if Joe Namath's off-field life, the 1970's Raiders & Steelers shenanigans and steroid use, the Dolphins flooding the Orange Bowl for the 82 championship game, LT, the Giants Stadium tunnel doors, the 90's 49ers & Broncos treating the salary cap as a suggestion, etc. all endured the same hyper media scrutiny?  The best example perhaps is found in baseball where Mickey Mantle, Whitey Ford, and Yogi Berra are lionized in New York for spearheading the 1950's Yankees dynasty.  Would they have survived in an environment like today without the small cadre of NY sportswriters who then protected their images (Mantle needing amphetamines to recover from nightly  post-game benders, and Ford & Berra systematically scuffing and loading up spit balls)?  All you need to do is look at A-Rod for your answer.

Last time the Patriots played with a chip on their shoulder they went undefeated in the regular season.  

Didn't hurt Brett Farve or Joe Montana when they were supplanted by legendary QB's.  Its rare that you see good teams/organizations truly go to sh!t if they lose their QB without a real back-up plan.  The only example would be the Colts without Manning and you can make the argument that they intentionally tanked to get Luck.

Didn't hurt Brett Farve or Joe Montana when they were supplanted by legendary QB's. Its rare that you see good teams/organizations truly go to sh!t if they lose their QB without a real back-up plan. The only example would be the Colts without Manning and you can make the argument that they intentionally tanked to get Luck.

Post Elway Broncos and post Marino Dolphins are a couple of other non Manning examples I had in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For all the people who think this Patriot team will be branded "cheaters forever" .....let me remind you of the cap-cheating end of the 90s 49ers:

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/08/20/sports/pro-fooball-notebook-the-49ers-salary-cap-under-nfl-inquiry.html

NO ONE calls Montana or Young (or anyone from those teams) "cheaters" and what the 49ers did was infinitely worse than this......

For all the people who think this Patriot team will be branded "cheaters forever" .....let me remind you of the cap-cheating end of the 90s 49ers:

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/08/20/sports/pro-fooball-notebook-the-49ers-salary-cap-under-nfl-inquiry.html

NO ONE calls Montana or Young (or anyone from those teams) "cheaters" and what the 49ers did was infinitely worse than this......

At least the 90's 49ers didn't lie and obstruct an investigation and generally make morons of themselves with 20,000 word propaganda missives, after having already received the most severe penalty in league history for cheating 7 years prior.

Post-Elway Broncos made the playoffs and hosted an AFC Championship Game with Jake Plummer.  Post-Marino Dolphins had some good playoff years behind Jay Fielder.  Both ended without a Super Bowl appearance but making the playoffs isn't tanking either.

At least the 90's 49ers didn't lie and obstruct an investigation and generally make morons of themselves with 20,000 word propaganda missives, after having already received the most severe penalty in league history for cheating 7 years prior.

Interesting how the Wells Report on Page 23 literally reads that the Patriots were completely cooperative but they "lied and obstructed" an investigation.  Meanwhile the 49ers owner in the 80's-90's Eddie DiBartilo served jail time for the "creative accounting" he performed not only with the 49ers but with his real estate business.  But back then pre-OJ government prosecutors and lawyers weren't as interested in nailing celebrities and athletes for fame so it was easier for Tagliabue and Rozelle to work deals behind the scenes.

Interesting how anti-Patriots people keep bringing up Spygate but never dig-up other team's skelleton's whenever there's a "scandal" somewhere else.  Its like talking about the 2014 Devils and bringing up Doughnutsgate or Mike Danton.  After all Lou has been with the team the whole time so its the same administration.