Devils in Contract Talks With Larsson

Daniel

My link

In the same TG post as Devils filing for arbitration with Fraser, but felt it deserved its own thread.

If the talks are serious, leads me to believe that he has a real chance of making the team, and that salary is going to be dumped to clear up the $3 million in cap space he would take up.

While the Devils can stick him in the AHL, I don't think ownership will want to shell out $3 million, even if it doesn't go against the cap, for him to play in the minors. (Unless there's something I'm missing re entry level contracts).

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

I feel he might do a half and half between NHl and AHL this season i don't think he will play the whole season. Could be wrong though.

Finally some good news. I cant wait to see what this kid has. I really think him with Tallinder could be a dominating line.

The Swede Line.

I feel he might do a half and half between NHl and AHL this season i don't think he will play the whole season. Could be wrong though.

That would never happen. We are in desperate need for a good d-man and if Larssons ready, Lou is ready and the future coach feels good, then Adam will be in the roster. Lou doesnt push younger players beyond their ready but he also hasnt held players back.

This is a smart smart move.

Edited by Quinn01

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

Finally some good news. I cant wait to see what this kid has. I really think him with Tallinder could be a dominating line.

The Swede Line.

I like that :P Tallinder with Larsson. A good placement could be a dangerous line.

So...

Tallinder-Larrson

Volchenkov-Greene

White-Fayne

Taromina

Urbom?

Suddenly we have too many. I guess one more year for Taromina and Urbom to develop in the AHL. Then I guess White's out. Still, I'm guessing Merrill, Gelinas, and Burlon will be close by that time too.

So...

Tallinder-Larrson

Volchenkov-Greene

White-Fayne

Taromina

Urbom?

Suddenly we have too many. I guess one more year for Taromina and Urbom to develop in the AHL. Then I guess White's out. Still, I'm guessing Merrill, Gelinas, and Burlon will be close by that time too.

Id stuff Urbom and Fayne away. Taormina should get a shot this season. Id put him with White. Merrill, Gelinas, and Burlon I would give another year.

Id stuff Urbom and Fayne away. Taormina should get a shot this season. Id put him with White. Merrill, Gelinas, and Burlon I would give another year.

I think it's definitely between Taro and Fayne for that last spot. Fayne stepped up very nicely last year and we didn't get to see too much of Taro.

Then again, Larrson could end up playing in Albany a lot leaving two spots for young guys.

If the talks are serious, leads me to believe that he has a real chance of making the team, and that salary is going to be dumped to clear up the $3 million in cap space he would take up.

Signing 18 year old prospects makes sense for two reasons:

1: Signing bonuses are paid whether or not the player plays a year under the contract. Signing bonuses max out at $92,500 year. So this means if Larsson does not play under his contract next season, that bonus is taken off the entire contract. It means that if the bonus cushion is on next season, Larsson's cap hit (before bonuses) is only $894,200 instead of $925,000. If the contract slides again it would again go down by that amount.

As an example: Alex Urbom's deal over at capgeek: http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1570

2: If you don't sign a player at 18, and instead signs at 19, his contract won't slide if he plays in the AHL at 19. So he'd lose a year of his contract playing there.

While the Devils can stick him in the AHL, I don't think ownership will want to shell out $3 million, even if it doesn't go against the cap, for him to play in the minors. (Unless there's something I'm missing re entry level contracts).

1: Larsson's contract has bonuses, so even if he were playing in the minors, he would not be paid $3 million, because none of those bonuses will vest.

2: Every entry level contract is two-way - Nugent-Hopkins will make 70k if he plays in the AHL during his contract.

Given the labor uncertainty coming up, starting Larsson in the NHL would be an extremely costly mistake, in addition to all the money they'd already be throwing down a hole by playing him.

Edited by Triumph

I'd love to see Larsson get some ice time this season. Even if it's a few games here and there, it'll be good experience for him to get acclimated to the speed and physicality of the game. Lou has a plan for the kid and we just need to wait and see it all unfold.

I hope he gets ice time this season, too.

When the Devils made the pick, I was iffy, not of the choice but just of Larsson as himself. But I really warmed up and I like him a lot.

I mean, the guy even looks like a Devil.

We made a good choice; I feel like he belongs here and he'll make a great addition.

Signing 18 year old prospects makes sense for two reasons:

1: Signing bonuses are paid whether or not the player plays a year under the contract. Signing bonuses max out at $92,500 year. So this means if Larsson does not play under his contract next season, that bonus is taken off the entire contract. It means that if the bonus cushion is on next season, Larsson's cap hit (before bonuses) is only $894,200 instead of $925,000. If the contract slides again it would again go down by that amount.

As an example: Alex Urbom's deal over at capgeek: http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1570

2: If you don't sign a player at 18, and instead signs at 19, his contract won't slide if he plays in the AHL at 19. So he'd lose a year of his contract playing there.

1: Larsson's contract has bonuses, so even if he were playing in the minors, he would not be paid $3 million, because none of those bonuses will vest.

2: Every entry level contract is two-way - Nugent-Hopkins will make 70k if he plays in the AHL during his contract.

Given the labor uncertainty coming up, starting Larsson in the NHL would be an extremely costly mistake, in addition to all the money they'd already be throwing down a hole by playing him.

You seem to have all the answers, How come you aren't our Capologist, Statistician, GM/President of Hockey Ops. Just seems like a no brainer.

Hey Tri...can you please elaborate a little bit more. Are you talking about a possible lock-out when talking about labor uncertainty ? Also, if there is a lock-out next year and we decide to play Larsson this season why does it become a big mistake ? He can go play in the SEL or any other league for the season can't he ?

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

I think it's definitely between Taro and Fayne for that last spot. Fayne stepped up very nicely last year and we didn't get to see too much of Taro.

Then again, Larrson could end up playing in Albany a lot leaving two spots for young guys.

You know Taro layed what 7 games? And scored about 3 goals in just those 7? It wasn't all season he played but for that short time he played excellent

You seem to have all the answers, How come you aren't our Capologist, Statistician, GM/President of Hockey Ops. Just seems like a no brainer.

another great post, bro

Hey Tri...can you please elaborate a little bit more. Are you talking about a possible lock-out when talking about labor uncertainty ? Also, if there is a lock-out next year and we decide to play Larsson this season why does it become a big mistake ? He can go play in the SEL or any other league for the season can't he ?

if larsson played in the NHL next year and the league locked out for the entire year, his contract would lose another year. he would then have 1 year remaining on his entry level deal and he'd be 5 years away from being a UFA (assuming the rules didn't change). if he didn't play in the NHL this year, and the league locked out for the entire year, he'd have 3 years left on his entry level deal and 7 years before he became a UFA.

if larsson played in the NHL next year and the league locked out for the entire year, his contract would lose another year. he would then have 1 year remaining on his entry level deal and he'd be 5 years away from being a UFA (assuming the rules didn't change). if he didn't play in the NHL this year, and the league locked out for the entire year, he'd have 3 years left on his entry level deal and 7 years before he became a UFA.

Thanks for the clarifications man, really appreciated. Good point by the way.

You know Taro layed what 7 games? And scored about 3 goals in just those 7? It wasn't all season he played but for that short time he played excellent

Agreed. And Fayne stepped up and played awesome for pretty much the rest of the season.

Like I said, Larrson could end up not playing much in the NHL. If he does end up back in Sweden or Albany, then I think both Taro and Fayne play most of the time with Urbom and Larrson filling in occasionally.

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

Agreed. And Fayne stepped up and played awesome for pretty much the rest of the season.

Like I said, Larrson could end up not playing much in the NHL. If he does end up back in Sweden or Albany, then I think both Taro and Fayne play most of the time with Urbom and Larrson filling in occasionally.

Fayne is pretty much on the team i would think, as you said he stepped up and that he did. Taro if Larsson isn't in should play. Could deal with Lar and Fayne

It will be between Taormina, Urbom and Larsson. In these 3 I think Larsson have the smallest chances to make the team given the fact that Urbom showed great things in Albany and might even be ready and Taormina only has to confirm what we saw in the 17 games he played last season for the coach and Lou to be convinced of sending Larsson to SEL and not pay that 3 million and at the same time let him develop.

I still don't get the Taormina love.. He played great in 20 or so NHL games but did anyone know who he was beforehand? Same thing with Greene playing great the year Martin was out, so everyone assumed that next season he'd be Martin's cheaper replacement.. D'oh!!

I still don't get the Taormina love.. He played great in 20 or so NHL games but did anyone know who he was beforehand? Same thing with Greene playing great the year Martin was out, so everyone assumed that next season he'd be Martin's cheaper replacement.. D'oh!!

i just think its because those 20 games were SO TERRIBLE that we were just looking for something good to grab on and that was pretty much it lol and we just sticked with it haha

That doesn't change the fact that before his NHL chance and his injury, he put up a 50-point season in the AHL. Right...it's the minors, but if something similar can translate to the NHL level, why not take the chance? All his past numbers suggest that he can provide points from the blueline and that's desperately what the Devils need right now. With help from Greene(hopefully) and whichever offensively gifted young players(#5 and 6dmen) can provide, we might be able to put together a really solid season.

I definitely agree that he has a lot of potential and showed some of it before getting injured, but we shouldn't be slating him in as a starter pre-camp.. If he does well, than maybe you get more confident in him making the NHL club.. Just my feelings on it, as I hate disappointment