Hurricane Irene

jagknife

This is the forecast from NOAA for my area of Susssex, NJ:

Tonight: A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 5am. Partly cloudy, with a low around 67. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Saturday: Scattered showers and thunderstorms, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after 5pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 79. East wind between 5 and 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Saturday Night: Tropical storm conditions possible. Periods of rain and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Low around 66. East wind 11 to 16 mph increasing to between 29 and 34 mph. Winds could gust as high as 44 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.

Sunday: Tropical storm conditions possible. Periods of rain and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. High near 73. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New rainfall amounts between 3 and 4 inches possible.

Sunday Night: Showers likely, mainly before 8pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 57. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

I am in high elevation. Actually, I am RIGHT on High Point the highest point in the state.

In comparison to Cape May, NJ:

Tonight: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 74. South wind between 9 and 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Saturday: Tropical storm conditions expected, with hurricane conditions possible. Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. High near 80. East wind 24 to 29 mph increasing to between 31 and 41 mph. Winds could gust as high as 50 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.

Saturday Night: Tropical storm conditions expected, with hurricane conditions possible. Periods of rain and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Low around 70. East wind 50 to 60 mph increasing to between 50 and 70 mph. Winds could gust as high as 90 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts in excess of 4 inches possible.

Sunday: Tropical storm conditions possible. Periods of rain and possibly a thunderstorm before 2pm, then scattered rain. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. High near 82. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between 2 and 3 inches possible.

Good luck to everyone and their loved ones and stay safe. Also, dont forget to check on elderly neighbors if you have them.

Edited by Quinn01

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gov. Christie announced New Jersey Transit will suspend service as of Noon on Saturday. Christie also announced, Southbound lanes of the Garden State Parkway will be closed past exit 98 after 8 p.m. tonight.

The MTA has announced that the LAST RUN on subways, buses, and trains will begin at Noon on Saturday. After those final runs there will be NO SERVICE until further notice.

-ABC.com

Edited by Quinn01

In three of the last four NOAA updates, top wind speeds have been dropping. It went from a Category 3 with 115 mph winds this morning to a Category 2 with 100 mph winds this afternoon, all before landfall. If it drops another 5 mph, it'll be down to a Category 1. This is really important because all experts were saying the storm would be gaining strength this whole time, while it's actually been losing strength.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

In three of the last four NOAA updates, top wind speeds have been dropping. It went from a Category 3 with 115 mph winds this morning to a Category 2 with 100 mph winds this afternoon, all before landfall. If it drops another 5 mph, it'll be down to a Category 1. This is really important because all experts were saying the storm would be gaining strength this whole time, while it's actually been losing strength.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

I for one....didnt see that coming. :whistling::rolleyes:

It can always turn though. Like I previously said in either this topic or the other one...weather is very unpredictable and has a mind of its own.

It can always turn though. Like I previously said in either this topic or the other one...weather is very unpredictable and has a mind of its own.

Speaking of turns, in two of the last three updates the storm has actually been taking a slightly westward track. Absolutely NO ONE saw that coming. The experts all had it going north by northeast, and they're all continuing to say it'll move north by northeast.

Unpredictable indeed.

It only makes sense that it will lose strength as it moves north- the water cools off significantly.

True, but the water temp doesn't really drop off too significantly until you pass North Carolina.

usatlant.cf.gif

Another update with sustained winds staying at 100 mph instead of rising like the previous forecast thought. Predictions are getting bumped down a tad, now saying it'll be a Cat 1 very soon and downgrading to a Tropical Storm somewhere around Connecticut.

God, I hope this thing keeps downgrading faster than everyone thought it would.

God, I hope this thing keeps downgrading faster than everyone thought it would.

There are so many places that this is just part of their lives. We act like the world is coming to an end..run to the closest store and stock up on peanut butter, canned goods, toilet paper and double A batteries. :rolleyes:

Edited by Quinn01

There are so many places that this is just part of their lives. We act like the world is coming to an end..run to the closest store and stock up on peanut butter, canned goods, toilet paper and double A batteries. :rolleyes:

What is wrong with your line of thinking lately? This is NJ, it is not the midwest and the Carolinas. Stop comparing an earthquake and hurricane that happens here once in a blue moon to places where it's a part of life. People do not live and prepare for this as an everyday occurance and there's alot of people scared which is natural considering the potential this has.

From face value one can say people here in NJ are probably going to lose homes or have damage done, lose power for awhile, businesses will suffer, property damage, personal belongings lost and South Jersey is going to flood. I wouldn't be surpised if there's injuries or death on the foolish people's parts who do not listen to directives.

I'm in Morris and where i am i'm not expected to get anywhere near what the coast will get but i still own a home which will have a flooded basement due to the water table which i will be pumping out, plus trees which are a danger of falling on my house plus the loss of power for an undetermined time while i have a baby, wife and job/business to worry about. You can damn near bet even here in Morris i am scared.

I don't mean to bite you off but let's get some perspective here, man. There's people on this board who live in the dangerous areas of this hurricane and i am sure they do not take your flippant attitude very well.

Edited by SJP20

The thing is this hurricane doesn't need to be incredibly strong to cause extensvie damage. 50+ MPH winds could easily thrown down trees, powerlines, etc.

Throw anywhere from 4 to 8 inches of rain on the already saturated ground and....some people are so ignorant. Ahh its not a category 3...why worry? Right?

What is wrong with your line of thinking lately? This is NJ, it is not the midwest and the Carolinas. Stop comparing an earthquake and hurricane that happens here once in a blue moon to places where it's a part of life. People do not live and prepare for this as an everyday occurance.

From face value one can say people here in NJ are probably going to lose homes or have damage done, businesses will suffer, property damage, personal belongings lost and South Jersey is going to flood. I wouldn't be surpised if there's injuries or death on the foolish people's parts who do not listen to directives.

I don't mean to bite you off but let's get some perspective here, man. There's people on this board who live in the dangerous areas of this hurricane and i am sure they do not take your flippant attitude very well.

Indeed, I'm packing stuff up in case I need to evacuate.

raritan4_big.jpg

That is the intersection of Albany St. and Johnson Drive in New Brunswick after Floyd. If the Raritan floods like that again I might have to stay with one of my friends for a while.

I'm watching the news, and a lot of these people who live in Manhattan are of course acting like this is no big deal. One woman said "We're gonna ride it out. We're New Yorkers. We'll be fine". They really have no idea what they're dealing with or how stupid they sound. This isn't a fvcking snowstorm. People up here really have no idea about hurricanes. I've spent enough time in Florida to know you don't fvck with these things.

The thing is this hurricane doesn't need to be incredibly strong to cause extensvie damage. 50+ MPH winds could easily thrown down trees, powerlines, etc.

Throw anywhere from 4 to 8 inches of rain on the already saturated ground and....some people are so ignorant. Ahh its not a category 3...why worry? Right?

whoa whoa wait...YOU MEAN THERE ARE CATEGORIES FOR THIS THING?!?!?!?! :)

I'm watching the news, and a lot of these people who live in Manhattan are of course acting like this is no big deal. One woman said "We're gonna ride it out. We're New Yorkers. We'll be fine". They really have no idea what they're dealing with or how stupid they sound. This isn't a fvcking snowstorm. People up here really have no idea about hurricanes. I've spent enough time in Florida to know you don't fvck with these things.

You mean being a New Yorker does not actually make you invincible? :rolleyes:

These people are incredible. I mean, the arrogance is off the charts. This storm is the size of fvcking Europe, so I guess those who don't leave will just learn the hard way.

Fair point, but if you want to get out of the path of the storm where are you going to go? Ohio? I think it may be too late to take such drastic measures.

I've been through my fair share of storms when I lived in the Va Beach area. Losing power for a week is no fun. Power lines, trees, and rivers don't care about the category of the storm.

Fair point, but if you want to get out of the path of the storm where are you going to go? Ohio? I think it may be too late to take such drastic measures.

I've been through my fair share of storms when I lived in the Va Beach area. Losing power for a week is no fun. Power lines, trees, and rivers don't care about the category of the storm.

True- it's a huge storm, so there's no way to completely avoid it. But at least try and get to higher ground. Manhattan may be Manhattan, but it's still an island, and this is still a hurricane.

What is wrong with your line of thinking lately? This is NJ, it is not the midwest and the Carolinas. Stop comparing an earthquake and hurricane that happens here once in a blue moon to places where it's a part of life. People do not live and prepare for this as an everyday occurance and there's alot of people scared which is natural considering the potential this has.

From face value one can say people here in NJ are probably going to lose homes or have damage done, lose power for awhile, businesses will suffer, property damage, personal belongings lost and South Jersey is going to flood. I wouldn't be surpised if there's injuries or death on the foolish people's parts who do not listen to directives.

I'm in Morris and where i am i'm not expected to get anywhere near what the coast will get but i still own a home which will have a flooded basement due to the water table which i will be pumping out, plus trees which are a danger of falling on my house plus the loss of power for an undetermined time while i have a baby, wife and job/business to worry about. You can damn near bet even here in Morris i am scared.

Most importantly, whether people take it as seriously as you or as pessimistically as me (bad choice of words), I just hope everyone remains safe if it does decide to slam this area and cause some damage and stress.

NJ now has a state of emergency for the hurricane. I eat my words. :tomato:

This is the forecast from NOAA for my area of Susssex, NJ:

I am in high elevation. Actually, I am RIGHT on High Point the highest point in the state

Good luck to everyone and their loved ones and stay safe. Also, dont forget to check on elderly neighbors if you have them.

Excuse me for having my own personal opinion about things on a forum about Devils hockey. Again, as I previously stated in a prior topic, I will not get into my opinions that I know were sensitive subjects for you. However, I still stand by my opinions about this storm. I have never said that the people who are really in danger are overreacting, I have said before over and over that the people in my area are the ones that are overreacting. There is NO NEED at ANY POINT to go stock up on canned goods. Its the same reaction we have when they say we are getting several feet of snow....

I know we are not used to this kind of weather but that doesnt mean we have to start looting and acting like we have never had heavy weather before. You hunker down and bare the storm out. I dont know where you come off calling my opinion out though. There isnt much that separates you from me.

Again....I wish those who are actually in danger safety and strength if this storm continues its course.

Edited by Quinn01

Excuse me for having my own personal opinion about things on a forum about Devils hockey. Again, as I previously stated in a prior topic, I will not get into my opinions that I know were sensitive subjects for you. However, I still stand by my opinions about this storm. I have never said that the people who are really in danger are overreacting, I have said before over and over that the people in my area are the ones that are overreacting. There is NO NEED at ANY POINT to go stock up on canned goods. Its the same reaction we have when they say we are getting several feet of snow....

In your last post you did not state that it was limited to people in your area who were overreacting. You posted as a generalization that everyone was overreacting by your own words as posted at face value.

Even in Sussex it's a good bet you're going to lose power and have trees down. I've spent plenty of time in my 37 years traveling to that area and i can tell you it'll be quite a bit of stupid luck if one of the billion trees or limbs up there doesn't tag a power line. If you think JCP&L will be fixing it within 2 hours, you'll be in for a surprise. So, by that much, why should you jump on people stocking up on canned food and baby products, etc.? Better to be safe then sorry. If nothing happens then great!

I know we are not used to this kind of weather but that doesnt mean we have to start looting and acting like we have never had heavy weather before. You hunker down and bare the storm out. I dont know where you come off calling my opinion out though. There isnt much that separates you from me.

Again, from all accounts this is shaping up to be a historic storm. Look at it already. I'm not jumping on you for fun i used to defend you alot of times so it's not like i dislike you or anything, but the last few days i believe you really aren't thinking.

I'm about 50 miles from where this will track when it gets to north jersey. That puts me in the tropical storm watch.

There's alot that separates you from me other then Sussex to Morris, though. I own a home and property (maybe this is where you don't understand where i am coming from) and i am 100% sure of getting a flood in my basement due to the high water table where i am, danger of trees damaging my home and property and losing power for an undetermined length of time. Oh, and my wife and i work full time professional jobs and have a baby which is enough on top of any of the above happening. The power loss i can kind of deal with, we'll just go to a hotel if we really need to as they'll run on generators.

In other words, when you have alot to lose you take things alot more seriously.

Actually, on a good note, this whole thing has finally made me realize it's time for a generator myself which i will be buying as soon as this whole mess is over.

Edited by SJP20

Yay for still having to do to work ahead Hurricane Warnings! :argh: :argh:

I swear if this thing picks up any more speed, I'm leaving and sending my folks home and corporate can kiss my ass.

I believe that if you get into an accident while there is a state of emergency, your insurance company will murder you on rates. I dont understand it. Realistically when there is a state of emergency you shouldnt be anywhere but your home. I have heard several people tell me that their bosses said that if they dont show up to work, they wont have a job.