Hurricane Irene

jagknife

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here in Sussex we lost power around 3ish and just got it back 15 min ago. It will die down in about an hour and around 8 tonight will be just a simple drizzle. No flooding up here (again I am the highest point of NJ). Few mud slides reported around the county here and there. Few leaves down in the backyard....but what I am angry about is my tomato plants are all knocked over :angry:

Last I checked the death count was at 9.

Well that wasn't the end of the world as we know it like they said it was going to be.

Of course not. The media is a joke and they won't admit they were wrong. And not one meteorologist predicted Irene would deplete as much as she did either.

Edited by devlman

I loved the Hamptons weather channel guy. "the speed at which that drift wood flew by you can really see the POWER this storm has. See this dock is nearly COMPLETELY washed away. Just this dock and three step Yeah. 1. 2. 3. Left here right to the water. I don't know what it's going to take to repair this. Meanwhile all the beach front housing is fine receding water no where near any real property. How can he even keep a straight face with that dialogue?

What's annoying is there are real issues just slow floods nothing flashy where they were all stationed.

Edited by Pepperkorn

Of course not. The media is a joke and they won't admit they were wrong. And not one meteorologist predicted Irene would deplete as much as she did either.

Pipe down. Hurricanes are unpredictable, despite all of our meteorological advances. Better to be over-excited and over-prepared than the opposite. Worst part is, people like you would be whining just as hard if Irene had been NY/NJ's Katrina and it had been downplayed as no big deal. Go crawl back into your hole now.

I have to say that their were two thunderstorms that I was in this summer down on the shore that were much scarier than this one. However, the sheer volume of water was pretty impressive.

I just moved to Cranford a couple months ago and this town is pretty notorious for flooding. The flooding right now is pretty bad. Thankfully, I didn't lose power.

The firehouse scanner has been on here all afternoon. Yuck. Water rescue just found a body. I don't do well with thus stuff. So sad. Dad-in-law just came home because floods were receding. Not our rescue so he can stay here.

So where is everyone? I'm attached to my iPhone. OBVIOUSLY. I don't care if I see another angry bird I tell you!!

I just got my power back on after losing it at about 145 this morning. a huge tree fell on the power lines a few blocks away, they just cleared the trunk to get the wires freed.

had a ton of branches and limbs fall on/around my house and with the wind picking back up, I'm hearing more and more stuff creaking and cracking. Not looking forward to anything larger than the one that fell last night.

My co-workers are telling me about how bad things are by them as well, so anyone who thinks this wasn't "as bad as predicted" my town and the ones near by beg to differ.

Not much damage here (Hudson county) but Im on a hill, so the water ran down (it was up to the sidewalk late last night) some downed limbs but no lost power. Really was just a heavy rainstorm with some wind for the most part. Dodged a bullet I guess. I dunno.

MTA is going back online, so I imagine the commute tomorrow will suck, luckily I have the day off tho. Hope everyone here is okay. Some crazy sh!t down south Jersey with the flooding.

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

My town was lucky just flooding didnt get the high winds or nothing but Camden (5min from me) Heard from friends got hit pretty hard

I was staying at a friend's house in Iselin and after seeing a picture of the Raritan River overflowing onto Rt. 18 in New Brunswick I was worried about my apartment in Highland Park, but drove there and luckily it was fine. The river now pretty much includes at least a good portion of Johnson Park and parts of River Road.

Pretty much got what i expected in northwest Morris County. Power went off at 5:15 AM and came back on around 4:30 PM.

Got some flooding in my basement and the wind blew down a tower like thick oak tree with long branches in the furthest part of my backyard. It's going to make great firewood when i cut the fvcker up! All in all i think i lucked out i didn't get more trees down on my house and vehicles especially. If that oak hit anything, i'd be in some real trouble.

Had a rainbow in the sky this afternoon i could see from my window which was a nice treat on a miserable night and day.

Glad you all made out OK! Still stuck in Albany thus far. Can't get through to the dogs.

Rowdy. How are you doing? Helicopters are making the rounds above us (all night actually). It reminds me of being next to Bound Brook during Floyd. The air is filled with buzz saws. We watched some Willow trees come down last night. No damage though. I do keep thinking: that's heat for a month!! When I see a downed tree.

Anyhow sunny now. Hope no one has too much toclean up.

Rowdy. How are you doing? Helicopters are making the rounds above us (all night actually). It reminds me of being next to Bound Brook during Floyd. The air is filled with buzz saws. We watched some Willow trees come down last night. No damage though. I do keep thinking: that's heat for a month!! When I see a downed tree.

I'm fine. I live near the confluence of the Hudson and Mohawk rivers, but I'm up on a hill so flooding isn't really an issue. We were worried that they might close the bridges headed out of town, but so far they've stayed open. There were a few minor leaks in the roof but nothing catastrophic, which is surprising considering we need a new roof anyway and we were expecting some major damage.

I work from home most days so I didn't have to worry about trying to get into the office, which is a good thing as it's in downtown Troy and apparently most of the bridges into Troy are closed.

around Paramus, Lost power until 3:45am this morning (went out 1:30am early sunday morning)

about an inch or 2 of water in my basement... luckily i moved my musical equipment upstairs early saturday

but not too bad overall.

I have some footage of a pond near me that was really overflowed, ill post it later cuz its pretty crazy

Glad to hear everyone is ok, and hope that all the flood waters recede quickly for those who are flooded out and power returns

Denville is about 10 miles from my front door. Whenever we get a large rain event or a large amount of snow thaws with rain, the Rockaway River overflows on cue. That happens with half the rain we got nevermind the amount that fell with Irene. That river always runs high which is the main reason it does what it does. It's the worst they ever had and i've seen some bad ones in my lifetime there.

Parsipapny just a few miles down the road is a lake, too.