Hurricane Irene

jagknife

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rats. Hudson rising 9J just closed again! Had lunch with cousin in law. Her house in Catskills is fine. She's north of Windham. Driving was awful but she got out.

My bro in law in Wayne got out. But now you all make me worried his car will be washed away or theNYC bus won't go back to Wayne tonight

Electricity on then off then on then off then it was off for a long time and returned Sunday night. Been getting flickers all day. Sliding doors failed and water was getting in under the stationary door. Still washing towels. Can't wait until the Delaware, Raritan and Musconetcong rivers crest. The ground was so saturated before this storm that lots of trees were shaking at the trunk and some just snapped into pieces. I think where you live PK fared better. Lambertville, Stockton and Phillipsburg flooded bad.

I feel for the weather broadcasters and politicians. They are dammed if they do and damned if the don't. I feel a lot of lives were saved because they were evacuated. Also, fewer people were not trapped in flooded homes. NJ got blasted by this storm. Be thankful if it didn't affect where you live. You were one of the lucky ones.

Sunday morning, some people tried to leave work and go home, they found roads blocked by trees and washed out. They came back after a couple hours.

The roads are passable today though, 1 guy I work with still has no power.

I'm sure you tell all the ladies that...

Well played.

I lucked out compared to a lot of my friends and neighbors on the border of Morris/Somerset/Union counties. Lost power at about 12:30 AM Sunday and just got it back, though I know a lot of people are still out of it indefinitely. Didn't really get any water in my basement but know a lot of people that did. Without power for 2 days I pretty much killed time by trying to help people clear their basements out, walk around and check out all the trees that are down all over the place, and watch cars attempt to drive through the flooded areas. I have to say I didn't really think much of this storm when the media was pumping it up, but the size of some of the trees that are down and the volume in my area surprised me. Going to have to take a long detour to work for at least a week. Fortunately it looks like everyone from my immediate area made out fine health wise.

In the last 48 hours, I have had power 2. I just got it back since Sunday at 1. It went down at 3am Sunday and caem back around 1pm when I was cleaning our basement from some minor water and picking up sticks here and there. Minor sink holes around the county, mudslides and a good amount of trees down. Luckily since Saturday only a handful of EMS calls have come in, all not storm related. Just a bitch having to make your way to someones house with roads being closed espically up here where the next road could be a mile away out of the way.

The clean up is still in the process.

Hope all is well with everyone and you all made it out in one piece

Edited by Quinn01

We were relatively lucky down here in MD. My apartment complex lost power Sunday morning, after the worst of the storm had already passed, and came back later that afternoon. Some areas are still without power. Other than that, I haven't seen any flooding. There was one downed tree visible from my balcony, and I saw a couple others while driving. Saw one massive tree split right down the middle.

My family back in Jersey all seems to be OK. Luckily, my folks just bought a new house that has no trees on the property, so they weren't at risk in that department. My grandmother's basement leaked, but just enough to soak the carpet. My brother has been without power for a couple days. Same with my girlfriend's family. Her brother sent us some videos he took of road flooding up by them.

The pictures of the Denville downtown area have to be seen to be believed.

We are bracing for the worst yet to come in the Passaic Valley area (Wayne, Little Falls, Woodland Park).

My cousins live in Little Falls. I hope it's not as bad as it might be.

Oh my gosh! We were joking about how we should have stayed up in Saranac lake for the storm and finished our vacation as planned...

I just saw pictures of Keene/Keene Valley. We were JUST there and it's devastated! Every time we drive by I think about how much I'd love to just going off the grid up there... and it was all the stupid little brooks doing the damage not even the Ausable - the big river there. and Rte 4 in VT - pictures are coming out. You can hear about it from friends and stuff but when you see it's rather mind blowing!