Melrose on WFAN

PeteyNice

So, coming back from the Yankee game I listened to WFAN and was treated to Barry Melrose on Mike and Mad Dog. Hopefully WFAN will put it online because I cannot do it justice.

Anyway, some choice quotes:

"The New Jersey Devils are bad for hockey"

"[The Devils] are simply not a very good team"

"I don't know how [the Devils] got 100 points"

"The Flyers are a lot better than the Devils in every area except in goal"

"There are only four players on the Devils who would play for the Rangers"

guess he doesn't realize FAN will be the Flagship station for Devils hockey next year :)

they usually do archive the guests, give it till the end of the game tonight

I dont know I didnt hear that. I heard Barry Pick the Devils to win the series. What he said was this, HE said the Flyers have more up front, and are strong up the middle, but the Devils and their winning attitude will win the series. That is exactly what he said.

I was listening to the interview too, Petey's right...I remember specifically Melrose saying all of that (yes even the Ranger comment, I think his exact quote was talentwise only about four Devils would make the Rangers :blink: ) except #2 though I wouldn't be surprised if he said that too considering how he expressed his disbelief that the Devils got 100 points :rolleyes:

He also did call Lou the best GM in sports and say the Devils would win the series because they know how to win and have the goaltending advantage.

I was still shocked at Melrose's anti-Devil stance though, he's usually the one at ESPN that doesn't totally drink the Kool-Aid. Oh well...they can all kiss our a$$ :P

melrose did say all of that....EXACTLY. but he did in fact say that the devils would win...because they always win.

what angered me is that he's supposed to be an expert analyst and he kept hammering the fact that the Devils trap and don't forecheck at all which is so unbelievably incorrect.

I am not defending him... he is a staff member of ESPN... they are paid to hate the Devils

I like Melrose. But if he really said some of that stuff, what the heck? That just is wrong and doesn't sound like Barry.

He's also wrong about the talent level comparison now with the Wolfpack. So, maybe he wants to apply for the job. Young, hungry players who will do anything to win and a revamped D. Need a goalie and a coach who will call the shots.

Barry should apply!

I am not defending him... he is a staff member of ESPN... they are paid to hate the Devils

my brother is a staff member of ESPN .. and he hates hockey.. and any other sport that isnt "extreme" and some of the extreme ones as well.. how he landed that job is beyond me!