negative nancy

TomsRiverDevil

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What were the odds the Devils would win the division in 2005-2006 when they capped it with an 11 game winning streak? I don't think we led the division at any point during the season except for after it was over.

They were helped by the Rangers basically falling completely apart down the stretch.

Don't use 2005-06 as a measure for anything...that year was beyond goofy.

What were the odds the Devils would win the division in 2005-2006 when they capped it with an 11 game winning streak? I don't think we led the division at any point during the season except for after it was over.

An eleven game win streak to close the season might not win us the division this year.

Maybe you don't remember or just weren't following the team that year, but the Devils were much further behind the Rangers that season than they are now. It's of course unlikely, but it can happen.

Of course I know that and of course it can happen. That said you are missing the point. It will be much harder not because the Devils are farther away points wise than that season but because the Rangers are a MUCH better team.

Of course I know that and of course it can happen. That said you are missing the point. It will be much harder not because the Devils are farther away points wise than that season but because the Rangers are a MUCH better team.

What he said...the Rangers went 8-11-4 down the stretch in '05-'06, and lost their last five games. All they had to do was win one more friggin' game and they would've taken the Atlantic.

If the Devils can pull to within 3 points of the Rangers with a reasonable number of games left in the season, then I'll start wondering if they can pull it off. But not until then.

What he said...the Rangers went 8-11-4 down the stretch in '05-'06, and lost their last five games. All they had to do was win one more friggin' game and they would've taken the Atlantic.

If the Devils can pull to within 3 points of the Rangers with a reasonable number of games left in the season, then I'll start wondering if they can pull it off. But not until then.

Well they are only two games away from being three points behind them so that isn't too far off.

I think it's crazy that the Devils have caught the Bruins in points.

Go back a few weeks ago when they blew out the Devils @ the rock, I thought that team was damn impressive. Maybe the whole, playing in a weaker division thing finally caught up to the Bruins

i know i shouldn't have to say this, but cmon, the devs have played two more games than Boston and are two points up.

it is crazy to think that, this late in the season, we are up that high in the standings but just keep that in mind

That and the Devils March schedule is murder. Plus if the Devils maintain a comfortable playoff position it becomes harder to match the intensity of teams playing for a playoff spot still, as we found out every year between '06 and last year. One of our advantages in '06 is we weren't assured of a playoff berth till very late in the season so we had to be on our game too.

That and the Devils March schedule is murder. Plus if the Devils maintain a comfortable playoff position it becomes harder to match the intensity of teams playing for a playoff spot still, as we found out every year between '06 and last year. One of our advantages in '06 is we weren't assured of a playoff berth till very late in the season so we had to be on our game too.

Have you looked at the Rangers schedule? And the Rangers are in an even more comfortable playoff position so you can say the same for them.

Well they are only two games away from being three points behind them so that isn't too far off.

So what?

First, the Rangers have a game-in-hand.

Second, does it matter that they're "two games away"? I know what you're saying...the Devils win two more, and the Rangers lose two, and voila! The Devils are three points behind the Rangers, just like that. With a big game against the Rangers on Monday night to boot.

But that's assuming a lot. And all it takes it the Devils losing their next game, and the Rangers winning their next, and the gap is back up to nine points. And the Devils have had to go on a major surge (9-1-1) just to get to seven points back...do you think the Devils are going to continue to rack up points at an .864 clip like they have in their last 11 games?

Even at three points back, it's still not going to be easy...but being seven points back with 23 games left (with the team you're chasing having an extra game) is a tough climb. It's almost imperative that the Devils win all three games against the Rangers to have a realistic chance, and not allow the Rangers any more than one charity OT or SO point total in those games.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

i think we should just appreciate the moment lol

at this time of the year last season we we're all desperate and trying to convince ourselves that we had a chance to comeback and they were playing their season every games...

now we're 6th in the league in points without our top center most of the season and just like any other season minus last year... we want points not to make the playoffs but for the luxury of finishing on top of the conference

thats a good problem to have really, im enjoying it :cheers:

Have you looked at the Rangers schedule? And the Rangers are in an even more comfortable playoff position so you can say the same for them.

Good point. All Atlantic teams in the playoff mix have pretty rough March schedules, with the Rangers probably having the worst of them:

Devils

- 17 games

- 1 break between games of more than one day (two-day break)

- 3 back-to-backs (Boston to DC, Long Island to Newark, and Manhattan to Ottawa)

Rangers

- 17 games

- 4 back-to-backs (Raleigh to Tampa, Ottawa to Chicago, Manhattan to Toronto, and Minny to Winnipeg)

Penguins

- 15 games

- 1 break between games of more than one day (three-day break)

- 3 back-to-backs (Newark to Philly, Ottawa to Pittsburgh, and Long Island to Buffalo)

Flyers

- 16 games

- 2 breaks betweek games of more than one day (both two-day breaks)

- 2 back-to-backs (Toronto to Newark, and Boston to Philly), 3 back-to-backs if you count the last day of March and first day of April (Philly to Pittsburgh)

Good point. All Atlantic teams in the playoff mix have pretty rough March schedules, with the Rangers probably having the worst of them:

Devils

- 17 games

- 3 back-to-backs (Boston to DC, Long Island to Newark, and Manhattan to Ottawa)

Rangers

- 17 games

- 4 back-to-backs (Raleigh to Tampa, Ottawa to Chicago, Manhattan to Toronto, and Minny to Winnipeg)

Penguins

- 15 games

- 1 break between games of more than one day (three-day break)

- 3 back-to-backs (Newark to Philly, Ottawa to Pittsburgh, and Long Island to Buffalo)

Flyers

- 16 games

- 2 breaks betweek games of more than one day (both two-day breaks)

- 2 back-to-backs (Toronto to Newark, and Boston to Philly), 3 back-to-backs if you count the last day of March and first day of April (Philly to Pittsburgh)

Thanks for doing this...I've been wondering how the Devils' sched stacks up against others...looks like everyone in the Atlantic is pretty busy in March. Has very much of a "double jeopardy" feel to it, in that things can really change, though 3-point games make movement a little tougher nowadays.

I'm sure there's going to be some "mentally checked out" games here and there. I said it another post...I'd be happy with 10 wins out of those 17 games, especially if the Devils can finish February with 3 or 4 more points. Those 3 or 4 would give them 77 or 78 on the season, and the 10 March wins would give them 97 or 98 through the end of that month (assuming all March losses came in regulation). I'd be pretty happy with that.

So what?

First, the Rangers have a game-in-hand.

Second, does it matter that they're "two games away"? I know what you're saying...the Devils win two more, and the Rangers lose two, and voila! The Devils are three points behind the Rangers, just like that. With a big game against the Rangers on Monday night to boot.

But that's assuming a lot. And all it takes it the Devils losing their next game, and the Rangers winning their next, and the gap is back up to nine points. And the Devils have had to go on a major surge (9-1-1) just to get to seven points back...do you think the Devils are going to continue to rack up points at an .864 clip like they have in their last 11 games?

Even at three points back, it's still not going to be easy...but being seven points back with 23 games left (with the team you're chasing having an extra game) is a tough climb. It's almost imperative that the Devils win all three games against the Rangers to have a realistic chance, and not allow the Rangers any more than one charity OT or SO point total in those games.

Of course it's a tough climb, but it's not as close to impossible as some are making it out to be.

Thanks for doing this...I've been wondering how the Devils' sched stacks up against others...looks like everyone in the Atlantic is pretty busy in March. Has very much of a "double jeopardy" feel to it, in that things can really change, though 3-point games make movement a little tougher nowadays.

I'm sure there's going to be some "mentally checked out" games here and there. I said it another post...I'd be happy with 10 wins out of those 17 games, especially if the Devils can finish February with 3 or 4 more points. Those 3 or 4 would give them 77 or 78 on the season, and the 10 March wins would give them 97 or 98 through the end of that month (assuming all March losses came in regulation). I'd be pretty happy with that.

And while the Devils' March schedule is rough, there is one small advantage. One of their three back-to-backs is between Long Island and Newark. I don't know how the team typically handles such arrangements, but it's possible that it's the only back-to-back among those four Atlantic teams where the players can sleep in their own beds before and after both games. The rest of the teams, especially the Rangers, have no such luck.

And while the Devils' March schedule is rough, there is one small advantage. One of their three back-to-backs is between Long Island and Newark. I don't know how the team typically handles such arrangements, but it's possible that it's the only back-to-back among those four Atlantic teams where the players can sleep in their own beds before and after both games. The rest of the teams, especially the Rangers, have no such luck.

It's a clever point. Is it just me though or have the Devils' wins always had absolutely no correlation to strength of schedule or travel amount. We've always kind of been enigmatic in those departments.

It's a clever point. Is it just me though or have the Devils' wins always had absolutely no correlation to strength of schedule or travel amount. We've always kind of been enigmatic in those departments.

I don't think that's as uncommon as you may think. Fanbases (especially this one at times) focus on the "should win" games and tend to overreact and throw sh!tfits when their team doesn't win in those situations. When it goes the other way (their team beating a team well ahead of them in the standings), the fans tend to treat that as just another win.

Bad teams beat good teams quite often over the course of a regular sesaon, especially now.

I don't think that's as uncommon as you may think. Fanbases (especially this one at times) focus on the "should win" games and tend to overreact and throw sh!tfits when their team doesn't win in those situations. When it goes the other way (their team beating a team well ahead of them in the standings), the fans tend to treat that as just another win.

I certainly share this thinking. I actually believe that there is no real correlation almost ever between "should win" games and wins excluding games that are should win because the opponent is bad. The Devils seems to go the extra mile though and win all the "should not" games.