negative nancy

TomsRiverDevil

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the absolute worst the Devils can finish (record-wise) and still make the playoffs?

What are the scenarios for catching the rangers?

Rags would have to tank pretty hard. They're up 9 points with a game-in-hand. And the way Lundqvist is playing, it's almost impossible for them to go on extended losing streak...his team doesn't have to do much offensively for him to win.

Devils have a crazy March coming up too...17 games in 31 days, including that weird Islanders 3-games-in-7-days stretch. And the Devils seem to have a way of stumbling against them...wouldn't surprise me if they came out of those 3 games with 3 points or less.

Anyway, I don't think the Devils won't make the playoffs (a lot would have to go right/wrong for that to happen), but I don't think they can possibly catch the Rangers unless Lundqvist suddenly slumps big-time.

The equation might change in the next week depending on what teams may or may not do at the deadline...but so long as the Devils can keep playing well this month, they can probably weather the 17 in 31 stretch.

The Devils have really done a hell of a job staying away from a bad month. The numbers:

October: 4-4-1

November: 8-6-0

December: 9-5-0

January: 6-4-2

February: 7-1-1 (four games remaining)

I think March will be around a .500 month for them, maybe slightly better. They need to get their missing bodies back in the lineup. If they can get notch 5 out of the remaining 8 points for February, that would give them 77 points on the season...if they get through March with about a .500 mark, that would put them at 94 points or so, with three April games left to play. That would put in them in pretty good shape, as far as getting into the playoffs goes. Sure, they could have a terrific March, but I think that's going to be a tough month for the Devils...if they won 10 games, I'd sign up for that right now.

We thought Boston was untouchable weeks ago, and now the Devils are tied with them in points. Don't forget the rangers usual crash in march.

Rangers usually crash in January and February, look like they're going to miss the playoffs, then get hot at the end, usually due to Lundqvist breaking out of his annual midseason slump. This year Lundqvist avoided that, big-time.

We thought Boston was untouchable weeks ago, and now the Devils are tied with them in points. Don't forget the rangers usual crash in march.

the best thing about is that we did this with our top center out and a bunch of injuries, new coach and all while the Bruins had their cup hangover for awhile then but played the whole season with no injuries at all

It is worth noting that the Rangers also have 17 games in March.

Rangers usually crash in January and February, look like they're going to miss the playoffs, then get hot at the end, usually due to Lundqvist breaking out of his annual midseason slump. This year Lundqvist avoided that, big-time.

Or hopefully he just postponed it until the end of the season.

I think you're confusing the Rangers' January crash with the Devils' March crash. :ph34r:

The Rangers are probably taking the division. But I also thought we had no shot at the division in '06. Anything can happen, really.

well we have 3 games with the rangers. and they're virtually 11 points away with that game in hand. If we win all 3 then we're only 5 points away. We'd only need 3 more wins than them in the last 25 games

That's assuming the Devils can win them all in regulation. I don't think the Devils will win all three of those games, but even if they did, it wouldn't surprise me if the Rangers managed to go 0-1-2 on their end. This is the age of the 3-point game in the NHL. I'd be happy with 3 or 4 points in those three Ranger matchups. My focus is not on catching the Rangers, it's making the playoffs.

We really would need to get hot to pass the Rangers. We have to make up 5 wins in 24 games. It would be a great feat to pull off this year too because the first seed is going to actually play the worst playoff team - as it looks.

I just can't see how the Devils could do that...for one, the Devils are already unbelievably hot (think about it...they're 8-1-1 in their last 10, 13-4-2 in their last 19, 22-8-3 in their last 33. That 22-8-3 mark would put them on a course for about 55 wins and a 114-point season over 82 games. How much hotter can they really get?), they would also need the Rangers to go through a pretty significant slump...and they haven't really gone through one all season long.

I like to peak in on http://hockeyrodent.com/ often. It's a ranger's site, but I always liked it.

As of this morning,

Atlantic division winner:

88.4% NEW YORK RANGERS

5.2% NEW JERSEY DEVILS

4.1% PHILADELPHIA FLYERS

2.3% PITTSBURGH PENGUINS

0.0% NEW YORK ISLANDERS

Devils playoff chance and conference finish: (96.6% for playoff berth)

4.2% first

0.9% second

0.0% third

33.3% fourth

27.3% fifth

17.5% sixth

9.2% seventh

4.2% eighth

1.8% ninth

0.9% tenth

0.4% eleventh

0.2% twelfth

0.1% thirteenth

0.0% fourteenth

0.0% fifteenth

Edited by aylbert

I just can't see how the Devils could do that...for one, the Devils are already unbelievably hot (think about it...they're 8-1-1 in their last 10, 13-4-2 in their last 19, 22-8-3 in their last 33. That 22-8-3 mark would put them on a course for about 55 wins and a 114-point season over 82 games. How much hotter can they really get?), they would also need the Rangers to go through a pretty significant slump...and they haven't really gone through one all season long.

100% agreed. And you know it may be better to hold on to a playoff spot and rest players at the end and play Philly or Pitt then to expend energy to the last minute and play Toronto or Winnipeg.