DEVS MAY PUT GOMEZ ON BLOCK

Rock

DEVS MAY PUT GOMEZ ON BLOCK

http://www.nypost.com/sports/devils/26281.htm

(It must be hockey season! (N)Єverson stopped covering golf long enough to throw out some trade speculation.)

By MARK (N)Єverson

June 23, 2004 -- Draft time is trade time, and once more, Scott Gomez' name has been filling the air.

Devils GM Lou Lamoriello has long resisted trading the 1998 first-rounder who has become the team's top offensive center. But that may change now that Gomez is likely to be heading to arbitration. As a two-time Cup winner, 2000 Rookie of the Year, and the NHL's co-leader in assists last year and its leading point-getter after the All-Star break, the 24-year-old stands to command a huge raise from the $1 million he earned last year.

Gomez may be the league's best puck-lugging center, a trap-buster par excellence, but that style didn't always dovetail with Pat Burns' strategies. He has improved defensively, yet might not be the ideal backchecker in a system so fashioned as New Jersey's.

The signing of collegiate phenom Zach Parise and the timing of the probable lockout might make Gomez more available than otherwise likely.

One possibility would be a package of Gomez and the Devils' 22nd overall pick to move up in the draft. More likely, Lamoriello could deal for prospects or a bigger center.

Gomez was never happy with his last contract, which was signed during 2002 training camp. Given his achievements, he could seek a salary as high as $5 million in arbitration.

I really like that line "he could seek a salary as high as $5 million."

I enjoy watching Gomer play, but $5 million in this climate? Who's money is he spending?

Well at my job at the bank I seek a salary as high as 38 billion dollars and 42 cents but I didn't end up with nearly that amount.

-Scott

No quotes just this idiot's guesses. Let's summarize: Gomez age 24 led the league in assists, is improving defensively and led the league in points after the all-star break. And all he's worth is a package with a 1st round pick to move up? maybe for the #1 or maybe the #1 next year but I would think you have to get some major assets for this guy.

Edited by devilsadvoc8

Everytime trade rumours come up, Gomer's name is right in the middle of them. Could it be for real this time? The article says Lou might be interested in dealing him if he can move up in the draft.

How about the Jackets' 4th overall pick? The Jackets might want to hang on to that pick and draft Montoya. They need themselves a home grown franchise goalie. But, they also need a good center to play between Nash and Zherdev. It's rumoured that they might want to bring Sanderson back. They won't go for both, but either of the two might work.

And Atlanta has the 10th overall pick so that could be a possible destination for Gomez, too. Atlanta needs depth down the middle. Gomez playing on the top line with Heatley would work great. That would leave Savard to center the 2nd line with Kovalchuk. It would also give the Thrashers a good playmaker for the PP.

Kozlov - Gomez - Heatley

Kovalchuk - Savard - Petrovicky

Just speculating but anything's possible.

Everytime trade rumours come up, Gomer's name is right in the middle of them. Could it be for real this time? The article says Lou might be interested in dealing him if he can move up in the draft.

How about the Jackets' 4th overall pick? The Jackets might want to hang on to that pick and draft Montoya. They need themselves a home grown franchise goalie. But, they also need a good center to play between Nash and Zherdev. It's rumoured that they might want to bring Sanderson back. They won't go for both, but either of the two might work.

And Atlanta has the 10th overall pick so that could be a possible destination for Gomez, too. Atlanta needs depth down the middle. Gomez playing on the top line with Heatley would work great. That would leave Savard to center the 2nd line with Kovalchuk. It would also give the Thrashers a good playmaker for the PP.

Kozlov - Gomez - Heatley

Kovalchuk - Savard - Petrovicky

Just speculating but anything's possible.

Ya but, as far as I know, the 10th pick in the draft isn't supposed to have a ceiling as high as Gomez' skill level right now. So why trade a known commodity for an unknown one that doesn't have the chance to be as good?

-Scott

Honestly, I wouldn't trade Gomez for anything less than #1. In today's money climate he won't get $5 million, not close to it. The Devils are built to win now and trading Gomez for just a draft pick (except for Ovecheckin (sp)) would be a waste.

If he's on the block, we better get a lot more than a bump in the draft order. I hate to trade young guys who are improving. He's one of those guys with great skills on a team with little punch, and will be worth $3 million or $4 million. HE can't be replaced easily. :angry:

Edited by Jerrydevil

Wow, Neverson REALLY convinced me in this article, ESPECIALLY with all the hard copy facts he put into this article. Whew, I'M BLOWN AWAY!!!!!

But seriously, this just proves that he reads this board, he read about sockeye's "inside source" and wrote an article about it.

The Jackets might want to hang on to that pick and draft Montoya. They need themselves a home grown franchise goalie.

What happened to Pascal Leclaire? Didn't they draft him in the Top 10 a few years ago? I guess he isn't living up to expectations? :noclue:

Wow, Neverson REALLY convinced me in this article, ESPECIALLY with all the hard copy facts he put into this article. Whew, I'M BLOWN AWAY!!!!!

But seriously, this just proves that he reads this board, he read about sockeye's "inside source" and wrote an article about it.

Look, it's NEverson. What do you want??? And he gives us something to ridicule during a slow news week. :P

I was thinking sockeye is either Neverson; or used Neverson as his source ;)

Wow, Neverson REALLY convinced me in this article, ESPECIALLY with all the hard copy facts he put into this article.  Whew, I'M BLOWN AWAY!!!!!

I was thinking sockeye is either Neverson; or used Neverson as his source ;)

Nope, I'm not him, and he's not my source. But Gomer is as good as gone.

The Jackets might want to hang on to that pick and draft Montoya. They need themselves a home grown franchise goalie.

What happened to Pascal Leclaire? Didn't they draft him in the Top 10 a few years ago? I guess he isn't living up to expectations? :noclue:

Leclaire is still in the system. He put up decent numbers in Syracuse considering it was only his 2nd year in the AHL. He had a solid save percentage of .915, with 2 shutouts, while going 21-16-3 in 44 appearances. His GAA was over 3, but his record was far better this year than last -- when he went 8-21-3.

TSN's still got him pegged as a future No. 1 goalie. HF says he's the Blue Jackets' top prospect after Zherdev, and says he should become a starter in the NHL if he can overcome injury problems.

And yes, Sammy, he was taken at #8 overall in the 2001 draft.

The Devils could use a big centerman, but dealing Gomez to get him leaves us with a playmaking center void.

Gomez led the league in assists, but he's dreaming if he thinks he will get 5 million in arbitration. Petr Sykora didn't get that much and he scored 35 goals that season. His award should be around 3.5 to 4 million.

No way they should deal him for a high first round draft pick.

Very good points by some of you. I dont see Gomer being traded. he is a great playmaking center. Espaically with madden not signed why lose gomer too. So we could be without Gomez and Madden, if we are were in trouble.

gomez stays...But Im sure Atlanta would love to aquire him. I still say Gomez stays!!!!