GDT: Flyers @ Devils 7:30, NBCSN

Devils Pride 26

Fayne is definitely not garbage.  I agree he wouldn't fetch a whole lot.  But he's a good skater, and has a good shot at least.  He's still solid defensively.

Whoa... no way. His shot is awful... I'm not sure he even has one... He has a weak wrister. I'm not sure I've ever seen him wind up.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, of course id want to make the playoffs but honestly whats the point? We dont have the talent to make a run. I know the whole "once youre in the playoffs you never know!" But come on, what was the last team who won a cup without at least one or 2 top players?

We need to be sellers, we need to stack for the future somehow. Not ship away our prospects, ufas for a rental who may make a difference.

Um, hmmm lemme think- yeah, not surrendering a lottery pick for one.

If you have an elite goalie you can go as far as he takes you.  The Devils did not have an elite goalie in 2012.  If Schneider could get the team to the playoffs and play .935 hockey in the playoffs the sky's the limit with this team.

Brodeur didn't play poorly tonight but I don't think he played well either.  It's up to Schneider to have a good game against a fearsome Dallas team, get a win, and get NJ moving in the right direction with the right guy in net.

Trading Severson + for the likes of Cammerelli? That is the kind of move that works if were building to be the Islanders. Look - this team has 3 lines of complimentary players, and that's all Cam is. He is not going to be the difference on whether or not we make the playoffs.

Anyone in favor of selling of Merill, Gelinas, or Severson to save this sh!t show of a season is out of their minds. Reading that just makes me physically sick. We FINALLY have a decent prospect pool of players that could be pillars to the team, not just complimentary players. And we want to sell them off for this?!?! I'm sorry that is obscene. Yes, we suck this year. BFD. These are guys you build a franchise around for crying out loud. 

Severson for Cammerelli... Christ

Whoa... no way. His shot is awful... I'm not sure he even has one... He has a weak wrister. I'm not sure I've ever seen him wind up.

This just isn't true.  His shot is one of his strengths offensively.  His wrister more so than his slap shot though.  He's also not a very good passer.

Trading Severson + for the likes of Cammerelli? That is the kind of move that works if were building to be the Islanders. Look - this team has 3 lines of complimentary players, and that's all Cam is. He is not going to be the difference on whether or not we make the playoffs.

Anyone in favor of selling of Merill, Gelinas, or Severson to save this sh!t show of a season is out of their minds. Reading that just makes me physically sick. We FINALLY have a decent prospect pool of players that could be pillars to the team, not just complimentary players. And we want to sell them off for this?!?! I'm sorry that is obscene. Yes, we suck this year. BFD. These are guys you build a franchise around for crying out loud. 

Wanna know another team that has 3 lines of complimentary players?  Boston, St. Louis, Phoenix, etc.  Those teams have no superstar forwards and are doing just fine.  The Devils don't play a style that caters to superstar forwards.  Cammy would actually fit in nicely here imo.

We're not going to be able to realistically keep every prospect we have regardless.  We can spare one or two of them if it means us getting an impact top 6 forward.

Edited by Mike Brown

No one on our team can shoot. There. Hope that settles that.

Ryder, Brunner, and Zajac all have great shots.

And on our blue line, Greene, Zidlicky, Gelinas, and Merrill have cannons.  Fayne has a good wrist shot too.

Edited by Mike Brown

Steen is turning into one. St Louis is one of the best offensive teams in the league. Lucic,marchand, erikson and Bergeron are scoring threats. Lucic and marchand seem inconsistent though. Phoenix has vbrata and vermette who are really good.

Edited by CarterforPresident

Steen is turning into one. St Louis is one of the best offensive teams in the league. Lucic,marchand, erikson and Bergeron are scoring threats. Lucic and marchand seem inconsistent though. Phoenix has vbrata and vermette who are really good.

Let's see what Steen can do next year.  I don't need to bring up Cheechoo's name, do I?

The best forwards on the Bruins and Blues are mostly 65-85 point players.  They have no real game changing type of forwards on their rosters.  Wanna know another team build on depth, rather than top end talent?  The Kings.  Kopitar, their best player, is mostly gonna be in the 75-85 point range.

My point to all of this is that if we get one or two more players like a Hudler or a Cammy or a Moulson, we would be in the same boat as St. Louis or Boston.  Now before you go nuts, I'm in no way saying we'd be as good as those teams.

But imagine this roster.

CENTERS: Zajac, Elias, Henrique, Loktionov

WINGERS: Zubrus, Jagr, Ryder, Brunner, Clowe, Hudler, Cammalleri, Bernier

Wanna know another team that has 3 lines of complimentary players?  Boston, St. Louis, Phoenix, etc.  Those teams have no superstar forwards and are doing just fine.  The Devils don't play a style that caters to superstar forwards.  Cammy would actually fit in nicely here imo.

We're not going to be able to realistically keep every prospect we have regardless.  We can spare one or two of them if it means us getting an impact top 6 forward.

Henrique, Elias, Ryder, Brunner, Clowe, Zajac, Jagr, Zubrus are pretty solid complimentary players. Clarkson was a complimentary player. Teams like this can succeed just fine with stellar goaltending, something we haven't had since that West Coast swing with the Ducks and Kings. 

You take two super stars off any team in consecutive years (I don't think I have to mention them by name), yeah the team is going to struggle to adjust. 

Adding Cammerelli into that mix of players does not flip a switch and make us a playoff team. This team lacks a feature scorer, and I don't think Cammerelli is the answer let alone giving up a blue chip prospect for a couple of months of him. 

Yes, our offense sh!ts the bed some games. But our goaltending has not been helping either, dropping multiple games while scoring four goals. Just unacceptable. 

Cammy isn't what you think. He can't be stable with any team. Calgary wants to get rid of him. The habs begged him out. And Boston has bergeron who is one of the most underated players in the league. Kings? Carter is a top end scorer and Richards is a game changer come play off time.

Best post in the thread so far. This team is very flawed but still has a real decent chance at the playoffs. Do I think they go anywhere in the playoffs? No. But it's certainly not time to start making panic moves by trading one of the team's best prospects for a rental. I'd rather settle for a "meh" year than mortgage the future.

I still think Steen is going to fall back to Earth. He's shooting at 20.51% with 24 goals in 35 games at age 29. No one can keep that pace up. He's a career 9.99% shooter.

We've been saying that though right? I agree though but he'll most apt end the seaoan with around 30-40 probably 35 + range. For St Louis, that's good they never really had a offensive threats. Noe they're one of the top scoring teams in the league.

Best post in the thread so far. This team is very flawed but still has a real decent chance at the playoffs. Do I think they go anywhere in the playoffs? No. But it's certainly not time to start making panic moves by trading one of the team's best prospects for a rental. I'd rather settle for a "meh" year than mortgage the future.

I still think Steen is going to fall back to Earth. He's shooting at 20.51% with 24 goals in 35 games at age 29. No one can keep that pace up. He's a career 9.99% shooter.

Cammy isn't what you think. He can't be stable with any team. Calgary wants to get rid of him. The habs begged him out. And Boston has bergeron who is one of the most underated players in the league. Kings? Carter is a top end scorer and Richards is a game changer come play off time.

Cammy is just a name I threw out there.  It doesn't necessarily have to be him.

Bergeron is good, but he's not a superstar.  Carter is good, but he's not a superstar.  In fact, I'd argue Ryder is actually comparable to him.  Richards is in the same boat as Bergeron and Krejci.

Henrique, Elias, Ryder, Brunner, Clowe, Zajac, Jagr, Zubrus are pretty solid complimentary players. Clarkson was a complimentary player. Teams like this can succeed just fine with stellar goaltending, something we haven't had since that West Coast swing with the Ducks and Kings. 

You take two super stars off any team in consecutive years (I don't think I have to mention them by name), yeah the team is going to struggle to adjust. 

Adding Cammerelli into that mix of players does not flip a switch and make us a playoff team. This team lacks a feature scorer, and I don't think Cammerelli is the answer let alone giving up a blue chip prospect for a couple of months of him. 

Yes, our offense sh!ts the bed some games. But our goaltending has not been helping either, dropping multiple games while scoring four goals. Just unacceptable. 

Listen I agree with everything you said in the beginning.  This team as is is good enough to make the playoffs.  My entire point is this.  Adding another top 6 forward or two can solidify us as a true playoff contender.  One of our defense prospects can be spared for that if need be.  I'm not actually suggesting we do it though.  Just saying we could if we wanted to.

So tired of Kovalchuk's name being bandied about as a superstar.  The PP without him hurts (although honestly in GF/60 it's probably about the same so far), but at even strength, he hasn't been missed at all.

Kovy was a superstar in this league.  And it's also proof that a superstar isn't guaranteed to make a team better although superstars never hurt any team.  His style never meshed with Pete's system.  He was a guy who scored mostly off the rush, and was never good at cycling the puck.