2014 Training Camp Thread

Jas0nMacIsaac

DeBoer: “I know what I’m getting out of Jon Merrill. Whether he plays 2 games or 1 or none, I'm pretty comfortable (with) what he's going to give us."

it's great to see Deboer trusting and backing a rookie/young player this much. Pretty apparent from last season that he likes him a lot. Like i said it's good to see all the veterans preference that's been going on in the last few years

i felt the same way.. that move he pulled pissed me off a bit though to cost that goal, they need to get zubrus off that line and put someone there that has more talent that isnt going to anchor it down and that could be a lethal set up for us.. maybe ryder with them since hes a finisher and the other two are playmakers.

I think Zubrus is on this line because Elias asked for him.

I actually like Kaberle so far. Would rather have him over Harrold.

I wouldn't mind if we went with 8 defenseman this year. Sal will likely get hurt at some point and I'd like to have a little insurance against one of the young guys having a bad stretch of games where they might benefit from having a few nights off.

there's always Kaberle though lol

None of the tryouts have really impressed me except Kaberle. Not that I think he's done great or would I want him on the team over Harrold but I think Kaberle has done enough to get a two way contract if he would accept something like that. If he'd be willing to wait around in Albany until one of the NJ D gets hurt, it wouldn't be that bad of an option. Though I imagine he'd rather just go back to Europe.

Looks like the Devils liked what they saw from Gomez last game. Will get another good luck tonight playing with Brunner/Ruutu. Josefson taken off that line and will play with Carter and Bernier.

A good game from Gomez tonight, and you might just see him on this team to start the year.

I've read some Devils fans give positive reviews on Gomez so far and I know Elias had some nice quotes in one of TG's latest post, but I just don't see it. Gomez looks extremely old and over the hill to me. I hope he doesn't end up on this team over someone like Josefson but it wouldn't shock me.

What's up with mamashev going to Albany. I thought he was on a tryout

I suppose since he moved to Long Island for his wife, he'd be open to any pro contract he can get. So maybe he'll be able to earn an AHL deal with Albany. Still pretty close by and allows him to continue his hockey career.

Gomez is definitely making this team unfortunately.

If he takes Gio's place I won't complain. If he beats out JJ that's another story.

I would not complain either of he takes Gio's spot. I've had enough of him to be honest. Edited by Devlin

It's weird reading all the quotes about Gomez. I just have Tri's recap to go by here, but he mentioned him looking slow. While TG's article had a bunch of favourable quotes talking about his speed, vision etc.

Gomez has such a bad body of work over the last 3 seasons. I really can't see a resurgence, but there is an upgrade offensively on a 4th line. Is that a player the Devils want as their 4th line center though? Gomez plays as different a game as Gionta does, and there is absolutely no overlap in what their strengths are.

Scott making the team makes the lineups as interesting as possible and spells the end of Josefson.

If he takes Gio's place I won't complain. If he beats out JJ that's another story.

It's not like Josefson's been any great shakes either though.  If he wants to keep his spot in the lineup let him actually do something, Gomez (as much as I can't stand him) has done more in two lousy preseason games than Josefson's done in two years.

It's weird reading all the quotes about Gomez. I just have Tri's recap to go by here, but he mentioned him looking slow. While TG's article had a bunch of favourable quotes talking about his speed, vision etc.

Gomez has such a bad body of work over the last 3 seasons. I really can't see a resurgence, but there is an upgrade offensively on a 4th line. Is that a player the Devils want as their 4th line center though? Gomez plays as different a game as Gionta does, and there is absolutely no overlap in what their strengths are.

Scott making the team makes the lineups as interesting as possible and spells the end of Josefson.

Hopefully they'd actually move Gionta to wing finally and play Gomez at center if that's the fourth line.  Not that Gomez is a great center either, but still.  Gomez can get points playing on the power play though since they seem to want to play him at the point.

It's not like Josefson's been any great shakes either though.  If he wants to keep his spot in the lineup let him actually do something, Gomez (as much as I can't stand him) has done more in two lousy preseason games than Josefson's done in two years.

Hopefully they'd actually move Gionta to wing finally and play Gomez at center if that's the fourth line.  Not that Gomez is a great center either, but still.  Gomez can get points playing on the power play though since they seem to want to play him at the point.

Gomez and Gionta on the same line just doesn't seem right, and the idea of Gomez as a PP point...well I can't picture the benefit right now.

Seems like Gomez has a few garbage goals tonight. That's not really his kind of game, but luck his on his side right now. We all know that hasn't been the case over the last 3 years.

Shouldn't be. If JJ fails to beat out Gomez. Then who's issue is that really? JJ. And if he can't. He doesn't deserve to crack the line up. He needs to prove it. And if he doesn't, he doesn't deserve it, plain ans simple.

Edited by CarterforPresident

Gomez and Gionta on the same line just doesn't seem right, and the idea of Gomez as a PP point...well I can't picture the benefit right now.

Seems like Gomez has a few garbage goals tonight. That's not really his kind of game, but luck his on his side right now. We all know that hasn't been the case over the last 3 years.

I'm totally expecting Gomez to turn some SH% and PDO luck this preseason into a contract and then proceed to do nothing once the season starts.

Agree. It doesn't matter if the goals were deflected off his ass. He's been in the right place at the right time. I've been a JJ supporter for a long time, but this guy can't seem to get it going.

Gomez looked like his acceleration was gone.  He can still break the neutral zone sometimes, but he has zero finish and he's not going to have good linemates so they won't finish either.  Sounds like he must be having a good game tonight - 2 goals or not, the Devils are crushing the Flyers - so I do think that it's possible that if he has another good game he'll be sticking around.

Gomez looked like his acceleration was gone.  He can still break the neutral zone sometimes, but he has zero finish and he's not going to have good linemates so they won't finish either.  Sounds like he must be having a good game tonight - 2 goals or not, the Devils are crushing the Flyers - so I do think that it's possible that if he has another good game he'll be sticking around.

An Elias-Gomez-Havlat is a possibility, but with the lines they have now...could Ruutu-Gomez-Brunner actually be a 4th line for the Devils? I suppose you could see Ruutu-Gomez-Gionta, but then you have Gomez setting up Gionta which is obviously ridiculous.

No finish is correct. That much should be clear to everyone, and why a few PP goals shouldn't be the judge of a good camp or not.