Devils re-sign Gelinas

Derlique

I don't think the Devils wanted Gelinas on a one-year deal.  It doesn't make very much sense for them to do that.  Of the 7 D they've got under contract this year, 5 of them are free agents next year.  In addition, they have a lot of money committed up front to dubious players.  I think they'd want one of Gelinas or Larsson to take a cheap-ish 2 year deal at say $1.3M per than to have both guys to deal with next year.

I don't think the Devils wanted Gelinas on a one-year deal.  It doesn't make very much sense for them to do that.  Of the 7 D they've got under contract this year, 5 of them are free agents next year.  In addition, they have a lot of money committed up front to dubious players.  I think they'd want one of Gelinas or Larsson to take a cheap-ish 2 year deal at say $1.3M per than to have both guys to deal with next year.

One of whom is Salvador, who we'll be all be thrilled is coming off the books.

If the Devils really want to keep Zids and Harrold next year, Zids is probably not getting a raise or more than another one-year deal, and how much of a raise (if any) can Harrold expect to get, if he's even here?  It looks like Severson could be here in the near future and he's not a RFA until 2017.  I don't think both Gelinas and Larsson both being on one year deals is that bad of a proposition...and even if one of them was on a two-year deal, then you're dealing with of them + Merrill after the 2015-2016 season anyway.  Pick your poison. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Lupien: "We'd like 3 years, $4 million."

Lou: "How about one year, $900k?"

Lupien: "OK, how about two years, $2.4 mil?

Lou: "How about one year, $900k?"

Lupien: "Two years at $1.05 mil each?"

Lou: "I like one year at $900k each myself."

Lupien: "One year at $1.1 mil then?"

Lou: "I was thinking...wait for it...one year at $900k."

Lupien: "How 'bout..."

Lou: "How about you stop wasting my fvcking time and sign the only offer you're going to get? I have to start tracking down all of the bodies I'm inviting to training camp."

Lupien: "Fine, one year, $900k then" {mutters "fvcking Lou, that son-of-a..." to himself}

Lou: "Pleasure doing business with you Gilly...tell Marty I said hi the next time you see him!"

Oh man!!!! You had me laughing like crazy with this! ! Good stuff :)

Oh man!!!! You had me laughing like crazy with this! ! Good stuff :)

Glad I could spread some chuckles!  :thumbsup:

One of whom is Salvador, who we'll be all be thrilled is coming off the books.

If the Devils really want to keep Zids and Harrold next year, Zids is probably not getting a raise or more than another one-year deal, and how much of a raise (if any) can Harrold expect to get, if he's even here?  It looks like Severson could be here in the near future and he's not a RFA until 2017.  I don't think both Gelinas and Larsson both being on one year deals is that bad of a proposition...and even if one of them was on a two-year deal, then you're dealing with of them + Merrill after the 2015-2016 season anyway.  Pick your poison. 

Salvador may be sticking around.  I don't think he'd be anything besides the 7th D, but I don't think the Devils are ready to cut him away entirely.  I don't think Zidlicky will be around.  The point isn't that the Devils won't have a cheap D - they still will - it's that Ruutu, Elias, and Zubrus will be in the last year of their contracts and probably won't give much value on those deals (Zubrus should almost certainly be bought out if he plays like he did the 2nd half of last season), Clowe is still a mystery, and Jagr can leave at any time.  They should be trying to save as much money as possible for next year to try to upgrade the forwards.

Edited by Triumph

Merrill, Lars & Gelly will be RFA's for a few years. No worries, Unless someone decides to go to KHL>

Merrill, Lars & Gelly will be RFA's for a few years. No worries, Unless someone decides to go to KHL>

Still I can see Lou have wanting to stagger it out where not everyone is an RFA at the same damn time. Go two with Gelinas and give him some more money but instead he went 1 year for less in order to cash in more next year.

Still I can see Lou have wanting to stagger it out where not everyone is an RFA at the same damn time. Go two with Gelinas and give him some more money but instead he went 1 year for less in order to cash in more next year.

Problem is either way, Lou wouldn't have staggered it out.  If he signs Gelinas to two years, instead of dealing with Gelinas and Larsson in 2015, he's dealing with Gelinas and Merrill in 2016.  It is what it is...three young defensemen who have RFA years coming up around the same time who still need to prove themselves. 

Problem is either way, Lou wouldn't have staggered it out.  If he signs Gelinas to two years, instead of dealing with Gelinas and Larsson in 2015, he's dealing with Gelinas and Merrill in 2016.  It is what it is...three young defensemen who have RFA years coming up around the same time who still need to prove themselves. 

Yeah, that is a pretty big problem especially if Gelinas really breaks out (produces around .5 ppg and improves his defense).  Larsson too if he plays well and sign him to an actual bridge where the AAV is at least double of what he is making now.  I'm not sure I'm a fan of our cap situation for 2015-2016 because even though we're losing Sal, Jagr, Zids, Havlat, Ryder and Brunner, none of those are crippling (capwise) and that is a lot of production that needs to be replaced. Factor in the bonuses being paid next year to Jagr and Zidlicky, Schneider's and Greene's new contracts kicking in and replacements and two RFA talented defensemen needing deals. Not cap hell per se, but I don't think the Devils can do much externally next year

Boucher contributing would be a HUGE help.  If he busts, it's going to hurt. 

Boucher contributing would be a HUGE help.  If he busts, it's going to hurt. 

I guess he'll get a few games this year but with Havlat, Jagr, Brunner and Ryder potentially all being gone after the 2014-2015 campaign, Boucher will get his chance then. I wish we didn't blow a year of his ELC last season

I guess he'll get a few games this year but with Havlat, Jagr, Brunner and Ryder potentially all being gone after the 2014-2015 campaign, Boucher will get his chance then. I wish we didn't blow a year of his ELC last season

I don't think is ELC is going to matter unless he becomes an NHL-level producer. Plus, with Havlat's injury history, I think we see Boucher and Matteau get quite a few games this  season (assuming Lou doesn't sign Fedotenko and Tootoo and Gomez.... yikes.)

What are you talking about?  First off the team has 15 guys who are injury prone so Boucher is a lock for 30+ NHL games this year provided he doesn't get hurt himself or really regress (and indeed, players who regress still get 80 chances in this organization [Mattias Tedenby]) - second, Boucher's contract did not slide.

What are you talking about?  First off the team has 15 guys who are injury prone so Boucher is a lock for 30+ NHL games this year provided he doesn't get hurt himself or really regress (and indeed, players who regress still get 80 chances in this organization [Mattias Tedenby]) - second, Boucher's contract did not slide.

Yeah, with this bunch you're not going to see a whole lot of 82s under the "GP" column.

Unfortunately for Boucher, I can see him getting to those 30 or so GP with 5 here, 6 there...bouncing back and forth between the NHL and the AHL...not ideal, but you just hope he gets hot during one of those opportunities and forces his way into more minutes and games...not like other young players haven't been in the same boat. 

What are you talking about? First off the team has 15 guys who are injury prone so Boucher is a lock for 30+ NHL games this year provided he doesn't get hurt himself or really regress (and indeed, players who regress still get 80 chances in this organization [Mattias Tedenby]) - second, Boucher's contract did not slide.

I think the only ones you can truly count on to miss games are Havlat and probably Elias. I'm not counting Clowe because Lou might want to bring in a similar player like Matteau to take his role if out.

By "shot" I meant a job out of training camp, not games here and there like CR1976 outlined

Edited by SMantzas

I think the only ones you can truly count on to miss games are Havlat and probably Elias.

Clowe!

i think we are going to get several opportunities to see boucher play this season, i hope he starts to come out of his shell a bit.

Agree, I expect there will be plenty of opportinuities because of injuries. I don't have much faith in Lou's assessment (what he says) of player injuries. Clowe could be out from the start offering an opportunity. Elias hasn't played 82 game in the past two season because of illness and injuries. There will be time for Boucher to step in and show what he has.

Here's a fun little rumor I heard about from a kid who lives in Montreal:

http://roughingafterwhistle.freeforums.org/new-jersey-habs-talk-tinordi-t9456.html

Marc Bergevin may have approached Lou Lamoriello and the New Jersey Devils looking to acquire 23 year old defenseman and Quebec native Eric Gelinas. 

According to Dans Les Coulisses, Bergevin was willing to swap Jarred Tinordi to get New Jersey's 6'4" 205 lbs defender. Gelinas recently signed a 1 year extension worth $900,000. 

DLC is also reporting that Gelinas is unhappy in New Jersey but wants to be away from the pressure in Montreal. Gelinas ultimate desire might be to play out west. 

It is surprising that Habs would consider dealing such a promising player but DLC has a reputation as a trust worthy source. Do you think this would be a good move for Bergevin and the Canadiens? Would you give up Tinordi?

Thoughts???