Devils re-sign Gelinas

Derlique

Well how would you feel if you were producing at a high level, and then get demoted?  I still completely disagree with sending down Gelinas last year.  Not to mention the guy who got to stay (Merrill) wasn't producing as well as Gelinas was.

What do you mean " produce " ? Merrill was much better than Gelinas on defense so Merrill stayed. You have guys that play offense they are to score goals and the defense stops shots on goal. Sometimes defense score goals. Gelinas put up points but wasn't so good at his position, defense.

Gelinas can't play defense. If he doesn't up that game this year, he might not be here the year after. Merrill doesn't need to put up points every game, behind Greene, he's our best defenseman.

Gelinas may not make the team this season.

Find this hard to believe, unless Severson comes and blows everyone away.

What do you mean " produce " ? Merrill was much better than Gelinas on defense so Merrill stayed. You have guys that play offense they are to score goals and the defense stops shots on goal. Sometimes defense score goals. Gelinas put up points but wasn't so good at his position, defense.

Gelinas may not make the team this season.

Well how would you feel if you were producing at a high level, and then get demoted?  I still completely disagree with sending down Gelinas last year.  Not to mention the guy who got to stay (Merrill) wasn't producing as well as Gelinas was.

Offensive production means very little for a defenseman if you are a liability in your own zone. Gelinas needed to be sent down. Merrill was solid and well-rounded. 

He is a total defensive liability. Does offensive production make up for that? Not on this team, we don't have enough scoring to have a weak defenseman.

I'd not be surprised if he wound up in Albany, but a 1 way $900,000 contract may say otherwise.

I think it's other way around. The team didn't have enough offense to justify sitting him. That's why he was dressed as a 7th defenseman and used on the PP a bit last year.

Feel like I'm in the minority here in really pulling for Gelinas to have a great sophmore followup. Kid has so much potential to be a true game changer. Here in Pittsburgh where I am, a guy like Letang is a local fan favorite as evidenced by the number of jerseys sold and worn to games in spite of his less then stellar defense. Devils really need his offense from the blue line. So glad his holdout ended before preseason began. Hoping for the best here with regards to his defensive game improving.

Edited by Guest

Is anybody not really pulling for him? I think we're all very excited to have a defenseman with the offensive potential of Gelinas.

Maybe its just all the disparaging remarks about his game on Hockeys Future and NJ.com during the holdout with fans voicing their bitterness in droves which has me expressing this. Edited by Guest

Maybe its just all the disparaging remarks about his game on Hockeys Future and NJ.com during the holdout with fans voicing their bitterness in droves which has me expressing this.

People need to stop thinking of RFA's as holdouts. There is a portion of the fanbase that think it is Lou's way or the highway, and think that any deal with a young player that takes a long time is a player being defiant in some way. All of a sudden these players are made out to be difficult.

A few people have said here already, but this happened with Arnott, Niedermayer, Brodeur, Stevens, Morrison, Holik?, etc.

Gelinas is not going to Albany.  He is waiver-eligible and there's no way a player who had the season he did last year is going to pass through waivers.

Absolutely correct, now maybe him being part of a trade package is not completely out of the question. Some moves are coming and I feel like there are teams looking to make moves now, as opposed to waiting, so it could get interesting quick.

Gelinas demonstrated through his atrocious defense he was not ready.

He was good enough defensively when he was paired with Larsson.  Atrocious is not the correct word to use to describe his defense.  Also his offense was far too important to the team to send him down.  Simply put if you wanna win games, Gelinas should have been on the team all year.

Offensive production means very little for a defenseman if you are a liability in your own zone. Gelinas needed to be sent down. Merrill was solid and well-rounded. 

But Merrill was a liability too.  Gelinas' offense meant a lot more to the Devils than Merrill's well rounded-ness.

He was good enough defensively when he was paired with Larsson.  Atrocious is not the correct word to use to describe his defense.  Also his offense was far too important to the team to send him down.  Simply put if you wanna win games, Gelinas should have been on the team all year.

along with his offense there were PLENTY of times he looked like a total mess in his own end.. saying that if the team wants to win games he should be in the line up all year is certainly crazy though.. this team does not need a rookie dman who is a train wreck half the time in his own end to win games.. as of right now the only real upside of him is that wicked shot. With that said, i wouldnt mind if he were to be packaged up in a trade for a half way decent return.

along with his offense there were PLENTY of times he looked like a total mess in his own end.. saying that if the team wants to win games he should be in the line up all year is certainly crazy though.. this team does not need a rookie dman who is a train wreck half the time in his own end to win games.. as of right now the only real upside of him is that wicked shot. With that said, i wouldnt mind if he were to be packaged up in a trade for a half way decent return.

Problem is, he wasn't a trainwreck like you guys think.  He was solid defensively when he was paired with Larsson.  When he was paired with Merrill after Larsson got hurt is when you saw a decline in his defense.  Merrill was just as much of a liability as Gelinas was.  Also people forget Niedermayer was a liability defensively in his early years.  In fact he didn't become good defensively until after the 2000 cup.

Problem is, he wasn't a trainwreck like you guys think. He was solid defensively when he was paired with Larsson. When he was paired with Merrill after Larsson got hurt is when you saw a decline in his defense. Merrill was just as much of a liability as Gelinas was. Also people forget Niedermayer was a liability defensively in his early years. In fact he didn't become good defensively until after the 2000 cup.

You can't be serious right now. Merrill was nowhere near the liability that Gelinas was. Were you watching the games?

You can't be serious right now. Merrill was nowhere near the liability that Gelinas was. Were you watching the games?

agreed.. Mike Brown is back after a nice long off season. ..Merril is much more solid in his own end then gelinas im not even sure how you can compare them to be honest.

Problem is, he wasn't a trainwreck like you guys think. He was solid defensively when he was paired with Larsson. When he was paired with Merrill after Larsson got hurt is when you saw a decline in his defense. Merrill was just as much of a liability as Gelinas was. Also people forget Niedermayer was a liability defensively in his early years. In fact he didn't become good defensively until after the 2000 cup.

Yes. Gelinas was a liability. He repeatedly ended up out of position, covered the wrong guy, stopped dead and covered NO ONE, and generally looked lost in his own end. He's going to need to play well with more than just one player. He wasn't ready last year and he needed to be in the AHL. His offense is great and something the devils sorely need. Hopefully he's going to take the next step this season, but pretending he played well in his own end last year is wrong.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

As usual Mike Brown watches a different game than everyone else from the fans to the coaching staff.  No Gelinas wasn't bad the first 10-15 games with Larsson but he was atrocious after that including btw when they put him back with Larsson late in the season for a couple of games.  And Merrill was only bad for about a couple week stretch before the break.

Edited by NJDevs26