2014-15 Albany Devils and ECHL Thread

thefiestygoat

Hraberanka is a big boy in person.  I think he might get 1st call up if they call a d man  Went to watch A Devs practice (had to go to client sponsored dinner last night)  I'm going tonight for sure.  A maintenance guy saw me there with Dev's hat and we discussed how Kowalski was captain of norfolk Admirals (ECHL) and here is back coaching the opposing team.  He was well liked.

I'm bumming this team is moving out west.  Kawalski & Moose stood by one of the benches while Sarge/Cunniff ran practice. Kawalski kept occasionally banging his stick on the glass for some

reason (pick up the pace)?

Went to game tonight. A lot of dirty stuff. Whitney was kneed by a punkass, Pelley fought him.  Wohlberg was knocked out by a late elbow. Thomson answered the bell. Game was pretty even.

Thompson scored two beauties. One from his "spot' on pp. The latter a nice breakaway 5 holes. Lorito looked pretty darn good. He's not very big but he is very quick. Keegan played, w/ Hrabaranka, Mcpherson w/ Helgeson, Kelly with  Burlon. One of the Admirals picked a sc rap with Kelly, he obliged and worked him. Norfolk has been on a downward spiral,  they showed their frustration tonight.

Clemmanson was great. Neither Whitney/Wohlberg came back, hopefully not too serious. 

I also talked to guy that drove down from Albany STH he was sporting Hraberanka jersey.  He was telling me that the scuttlebutt is Devs will be there in Albany one more year, and will be moving too Bridgeport (Isles farm team are moving to Nassau Colloseum) and Albany will be getting an ECHL team. 

Which brings me to Atlantic City.  i wonder if there is a group that wants to bring a hockey team there? And have been talking to Lou.

Thanks for the info vadvlfan! Always nice to get some insight based on live accounts.

AHL

Albany defeated Norfolk 3-1. Thompson had a hat trick while Sislo had 2 assists. Whitney, Lorito, and Hrabarenka had an assist each. Sestito and Thompson had 4 shots each as the Devils were outshot 38-19. Clemmensen made 37 saves on 38 shots. Albany went 2/5 on the PP and 0/2 on the PK. Here is the gamesheet and highlights:

Notes:

-- Thompson: 64 GP 29-20-49, +8, 61 PIM, 13.94 SH%, 3.25 SH/GP

-- Hrabarenka: 39 GP 8-16-24, -2, 26 PIM, 11.76 SH%, 1.74 SH/GP

-- Hrabarenka has 4 goals and 6 assists over his last 13 games. He has 3 goals and 2 assists over his last 4 games.

-- Lorito has a goal and an assist in 4 games.

ECHL

Evansville lost to Toledo 3-2

Myles Bell RW: DNP (Injured)

So what's the problem with Hrabranka that he doesn't appear to be in the Devils plans at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's signed to an NHL contract and Lou called him the best defenseman in Albany.  He'll probably get a callup by the end of the year and maybe get into a game, but Gelinas is in his spot on D, has the same skillset, and is almost certainly a better player.  

He's signed to an NHL contract and Lou called him the best defenseman in Albany.  He'll probably get a callup by the end of the year and maybe get into a game, but Gelinas is in his spot on D, has the same skillset, and is almost certainly a better player.  

I happened to be working yesterday and poked myself into the arena. (there was another game in the afternoon at the Scope USS Eisenhower against some other Navy guys and a friend played in it) 

Anyway ran into Hraberanka and said hello and I mentioned him having a good year that a "call up might be in order, he laughed and said I don't know about that. He like Burlon are really good skaters.

How did Hrabarenka look defensively?

Offensively he's 1st line pp. Head up all the way 1st goal was nice, low wrist shot. "No tee-up tome needed"  Early on he was physical, stood somebody up in 1st, got challenged but avoided a scrap. but as game wore on he seemed more reactionary in his own end. 1st pass on pp was OK. Had tendency to skate up but force a pass. Maybe because norfolk adjusted pk? He was paired with Keegan a small dude. Anyway, he is a gimme the puck kinda guy. I think he'll be good after working w/ Stevens/Albelin. (speaks good English btw)

AHL 4/1

Albany lost to Manchester 2-1. Lorito scored a power play goal for the Devils, his second goal in 5 games since joining the team. Thompson and Kelly had 2 shots each as the Devils were outshot 29-15. Clemmensen made 27 saves on 29 shots. Albany went 1/4 on the PP and 2/2 on the PK. Here is the gamesheet and highlights:

Notes:

-- Albany's PK is 37/39 (94.87%) over their last 10 games.

-- Add Whitney to the injured group which already includes K. Zajac.

Line Up (via ADevils twitter):

Lorito-Timmins-Thompson

Sestito-Black-Sislo

McKelvie-Pelley-Thomson

Johnson-D. Zajac-Janssen

Kelly-Hrabarenka

Helgeson-Scarlett

Burlon-McPherson

ECHL 3/29

Orlando defeated Gwinnett 3-2

Eric Baier D: +2, 2 Shots

Ben Johnson LW: -1, 3 Shots

Maxime Clermont G: DNP

Evansville lost to South Carolina 4-0

ECHL 4/1

Evansville lost to Fort Wayne 4-1

AHL 4/3

Albany defeated Springfield 1-0 (SO). Thompson and Johnson had 4 shots as the Devils were outshot 32-26. Wedgewood stopped all 32 shots he faced and stopped all 3 shootout attempts. Lorito had the Devils goal in the shootout. Albany went 0/3 on the PP and 2/2 on the PK. Here is the gamesheet and highlights:

Notes:

-- Albany's PK is 39/41 (95.12%) over their last 11 games.

-- Current injuries include Whitney (charley horse), Wohlberg (upper body), and K. Zajac (hip). K. Zajac is out for the year.

ECHL 4/2

Orlando lost to South Carolina 2-1 (SO)

Eric Baier D: E, 1 Shot, Stopped in SO

Alexandre Carrier RW: E, 2 PIM (Boarding)

-- 15 round shootout.

ECHL 4/3

Orlando lost to South Carolina 3-2 (OT)

Eric Baier D: Goal (PP), -1, 2 Shots

Alexandre Carrier RW: E

Maxime Clermont G: 33 Saves on 36 Shots* 3rd Star

Evansville defeated Wheeling 6-1

AHL 4/3
Albany defeated Springfield 1-0 (SO). Thompson and Johnson had 4 shots as the Devils were outshot 32-26. Wedgewood stopped all 32 shots he faced and stopped all 3 shootout attempts. Lorito had the Devils goal in the shootout. Albany went 0/3 on the PP and 2/2 on the PK. Here is the gamesheet and highlights:

Notes:
-- Albany's PK is 39/41 (95.12%) over their last 11 games.
-- Current injuries include Whitney (charley horse), Wohlberg (upper body), and K. Zajac (hip). K. Zajac is out for the year.

ECHL 4/2
Orlando lost to South Carolina 2-1 (SO)
Eric Baier D: E, 1 Shot, Stopped in SO
Alexandre Carrier RW: E, 2 PIM (Boarding)

-- 15 round shootout.

ECHL 4/3
Orlando lost to South Carolina 3-2 (OT)
Eric Baier D: Goal (PP), -1, 2 Shots
Maxime Clermont G: 33 Saves on 36 Shots* 3rd Star

Evansville defeated Wheeling 6-1

I think Lorito is earning himself a contract? 

I think Lorito is earning himself a contract? 

I'm kinda getting a Whitney vibe from him. He can probably be a good AHL player but I doubt NHL. Maybe they can get him on an AHL deal for next year and if he does really well, then maybe a NHL deal after that.

AHL
Albany defeated Binghamton 4-1. Thompson had another hat trick, Timmins had a goal and an assist, and Lorito had 3 assists. Burlon and Sislo also had an assist each. Thompson had 8 shots as the Devils outshot the Senators 37-27. Clemmensen made 26 saves on 27 shots. Albany went 2/6 on the PP and 4/4 on the PK. Here is the gamesheet and highlights: 

Notes:
-- Albany's PK is 43/45 (95.56%) over their last 12 games.
-- Thompson: 67 GP 32-20-52, +9, 61 PIM, 14.41 SH%, 3.31 SH/GP
-- Timmins: 38 GP 10-16-26, +5, 8 PIM, 12.35 SH%, 2.13 SH/GP
-- Lorito: 7 GP 2-4-6, -1, 0 PIM, 12.5 SH%, 2.29 SH/GP

ECHL
Orlando defeated Reading 5-4
Eric Baier D: E

Evansville lost to Cincinnati 4-0

I'm kinda getting a Whitney vibe from him. He can probably be a good AHL player but I doubt NHL. Maybe they can get him on an AHL deal for next year and if he does really well, then maybe a NHL deal after that.

AHL
Albany defeated Binghamton 4-1. Thompson had another hat trick, Timmins had a goal and an assist, and Lorito had 3 assists. Burlon and Sislo also had an assist each. Thompson had 8 shots as the Devils outshot the Senators 37-27. Clemmensen made 26 saves on 27 shots. Albany went 2/6 on the PP and 4/4 on the PK. Here is the gamesheet and highlights: 

Notes:
-- Albany's PK is 43/45 (95.56%) over their last 12 games.
-- Thompson: 67 GP 32-20-52, +9, 61 PIM, 14.41 SH%, 3.31 SH/GP
-- Timmins: 38 GP 10-16-26, +5, 8 PIM, 12.35 SH%, 2.13 SH/GP
-- Lorito: 7 GP 2-4-6, -1, 0 PIM, 12.5 SH%, 2.29 SH/GP

ECHL
Orlando defeated Reading 5-4
Eric Baier D: E

Evansville lost to Cincinnati 4-0

I'll bet P. Thompson is thankful Lorito is on his line.  Gotta admit he's got serious wheel (Lorito)  Hopefully Thompson gets a shot up here as well.  He's deadly from that wide angle.

He already has one with albany for next year.

Yeah, I didn't realize that, but it's written here:  http://www.dailygazette.com/news/2015/mar/27/0327_devilslorita/?dgzrg

Lorito turns 25 in July so I don't expect a ton out of him but he had a remarkable season at Brown in 2013 - he scored nearly 25% of the team's goals.  I'm hoping he turns out to be a solid AHLer.

AHL 4/10

Albany lost to Binghamton 6-3. Sestito had a goal and an assist followed by Sislo and Faust with a goal each. Whitney had 3 assists and Burlon 2. Sestito, Thompson, and McKelvie had 4 shots each. Wedgewood made 22 saves on 27 shots as the Devils outshot the Senators 36-28. Albany went 0/1 on the PP and 2/2 on the PK. Here is the gamesheet and highlights:

Notes:

-- Over their last 13 games, Albany's PK is 45/47 (95.74%).

ECHL 4/8

Evansville lost to Gwinnett 3-2 (OT)

ECHL 4/9

Orlando defeated Florida 1-0

Eric Baier D: E, 2 Shots

ECHL 4/10

Orlando lost to Florida 5-4

Eric Baier D: E, 3 Shots

Alexandre Carrier RW: E, 5 PIM (Fighting)

Maxime Clermont G: 30 Saves on 35 Shots

Evansville lost to Greenville 5-2

AHL

Albany lost to Hartford 2-1. Hrabarenka had the goal with D. Zajac and Helgeson picking up the assists. Whitney had 4 shots as the Devils outshot the Wolf Pack 26-23. Clemmensen made 21 saves on 23 shots. Albany went 0/3 on the PP and 5/5 on the PK. Here is the gamesheet and highlights:

Notes: 

-- Albany's PK is 50/52 (96.15%) over their last 14 games.

-- Hrabarenka: 43 GP 9-16-25, -2, 26 PIM, 11.84 SH%, 1.77 SH/GP

ECHL

Orlando lost to Florida 5-4

Eric Baier D: DNP

Alexandre Carrier RW: E, 2 PIM (Tripping)

Orlando qualified for the playoffs. Final regular season stats:

Eric Baier D: 54 GP 9-12-21, +8, 20 PIM, 6.77 SH%, 2.46 SH/GP

Mike Keenan D: 37 0-11-11, +6, 32 PIM, 0.00 SH%, 1.78 SH/GP

Alexandre Carrier RW: 16 GP 0-1-1, -1, 33 PIM, 0.00 SH%, 0.63 SH/GP

Ben Johnson LW: 12 GP 2-6-8, +8, 0 PIM, 8.70 SH%, 1.92 SH/GP

Maxime Clermont G: 21 GP 9-7-2-2, 3.11 GAA, .897 SV%, 2 SO

Evansville lost to South Carolina 3-0

Evansville didn't make the playoffs. Final regular season stats:

Myles Bell RW: 41 GP 10-9-19, -22, 25 PIM, 8.26 SH%, 2.95 SH/GP

-- Bell had 8 goals and 6 assists after his first 17 games. Just 2 goals and 3 assists in his last 24 games.

Albany defeated Worcester 3-2. Boucher, Thompson, and Matteau scored for the Devils. Kelly, Whitney, Scarlett, Lorito, and Hrabarenka had an assist each. Thompson and Sislo had 4 shots each as the Devils outshot the Sharks 30-28. Wedgewood made 26 saves on 28 shots. Albany went 2/5 on the PP and 5/6 on the PK. Here is the gamesheet and highlights:

Notes:

-- Thompson now has the franchise record for single season goals with 33.

-- Albany is in 10th place in the East, 4 points behind 8th place Portland and 9th place Springfield.

-- Boucher: 59 GP 14-15-29, -8, 34 PIM, 8.75 SH%, 2.71 SH/GP

-- Thompson: 70 GP 33-20-53, +3, 65 PIM, 14.29 SH%, 3.30 SH/GP

-- Matteau: 58 GP 10-14-24, +4, 35 PIM, 10.20 SH%, 1.69 SH/GP

-- Lorito: 10 GP 2-5-7, -4, 2 PIM, 10.00 SH%, 2.00 SH/GP

-- Hrabarenka: 44 GP 9-17-26, -2, 26 PIM, 11.69 SH%, 1.75 SH/GP

Albany's playoff chances heading into the final weekend of the season:  Slim, but they're still in it.

.................Pts..MaxPts ROW MaxROW...Wed. 4/15....Friday 4/17....Saturday 4/18...Sunday 4/19

7  Worcester.....86....92....38...41..................@Providence....@Manchester.....vs. Portland

8  Portland......83....89....35...38..................@Manchester....vs. Providence  @Worcester

9  Springfield...83....87....32...34..................@St. John's....@St. John's

10  Albany........79....85....32...35....vs. Syracuse..@Wilkes-Barre..vs. Hartford

ROW = Regulation/OT wins (Tiebreaker #1)

Points in season series (Tiebreaker #2):

- Albany vs. Portland:  POR 5, ALB 3

- Albany vs. Springfield:  SPR 12, ALB 8

- Portland vs. Springfield:  POR 6, SPR 2

- Worcester vs. Springfield:  WOR 8, SPR 6

- Worcester vs. Portland:  WOR 9, POR 7 (1 game remaining)

At this point, they cannot catch Worcester, but the #8 spot is still within reach. They need to get at least 5 of their remaining 6 possible points and hope both Portland and Springfield stumble big time. Any of the following will end Albany's playoff hopes:

- a loss in regulation

- two points by Portland

- three points by Springfield

- two points by Springfield combined with a failure by Albany to gain at least one regulation win

Bottom line: They need to win, and they need a lot of help.

Albany defeated Syracuse 6-2 thanks to 5 third period goals. Leading the offensive charge was Whitney with 2 goals and an assist as well as Lorito with a goal and 4 assists. Other goal scorers included Helgeson, Matteau, and Thomson. Scarlett had 2 assists while Burlon and Sislo had one each. Whitney and Boucher had 4 shots as the Devils got outshot 28-24. Clemmensen made 26 saves on 28 shots. Albany went 2/2 on the PP and 0/1 on the PK. Here is the gamesheet and highlights:

Notes:

-- Albany remains alive...for now.

-- Whitney: 64 GP 22-34-56, -5, 64 PIM, 13.41 SH%, 2.56 SH/GP

-- Whitney has 4 goals and 8 assists over his last 7 games.

-- Lorito: 11 GP 3-9-12, -2, 2 PIM, 13.64 SH%, 2.00 SH/GP

Line Up (via ADevils twitter):

Boucher-Sestito-Thompson

Whitney-Lorito-Sislo

Matteau-D. Zajac-Wohlberg

Thomson-Pelley-Janssen

Kelly-Hrabarenka

Helgeson-Scarlett

Keenan-Burlon