2014-15 Albany Devils and ECHL Thread

thefiestygoat

I would love to see a Devils' forward prospect pan out, but I don't think it will be Boucher.  Just not feelin' it with him.

His poor start to the season along with his last call up to NJ has me concerned about whether he will make it. His recent surge is promising though. Either later in the season or next year he'll get a long look in NJ and it'll be clear what we have with him. I'm still hoping he can be a 20+ goal scorer and manage to be a better all around player than Ryder, which isn't a very high bar.

His poor start to the season along with his last call up to NJ has me concerned about whether he will make it. His recent surge is promising though. Either later in the season or next year he'll get a long look in NJ and it'll be clear what we have with him. I'm still hoping he can be a 20+ goal scorer and manage to be a better all around player than Ryder, which isn't a very high bar.

His last callup to NJ was him playing 3 games in 3 nights.  Also his weak start was just shooting percentage based - he was fine otherwise.  Now that he's back to shooting normal (12.5% or thereabouts) his numbers look fine.

His last callup to NJ was him playing 3 games in 3 nights.  Also his weak start was just shooting percentage based - he was fine otherwise.  Now that he's back to shooting normal (12.5% or thereabouts) his numbers look fine.

I didn't realize that about his last call up, but either way, I imagine we see him again for a stretch of games before the end of the season. Plus, next year you gotta think he'll get a real long look to secure a full time spot on the roster along with Matteau with the lack of wingers we have signed through next season and the weak UFA class.

AHL
Albany defeated Springfield 4-3 in OT. Whitney led the way with a goal and two assists including the game winning goal. Other goal scorers for the Devils were Wohlberg, Black, and Boucher. Scarlett and Burlon had an assist each. Thompson and Matteau had 5 shots each as the Devils and Falcons had 25 shots each. Wedgewood made 22 saves on 25 shots. Albany went 1/3 on the PP and 3/6 on the PK. Here is the gamesheet and highlights:

Notes:
-- McKelvie and Janssen returned from injury. McKelvie last appeared on 11/29 while Janssen last played on 12/7.
-- Scarlett: 13 GP 0-6-6, +1, 2 PIM
-- Whitney: 30 GP 11-17-28, +3, 22 PIM, 14.10 SH%, 2.60 SH/GP
-- Boucher's 6 game scoring streak: 5 goals, 2 assists.
-- Matteau is now shooting 2.44% on the season while averaging 1.58 shots per game.
-- Burlon over his last 4 games: 2 goals, 2 assists.
-- Nice to see Black listed as the 1C on the lines below.

Line Up (via ADevils twitter):
Whitney-Black-Thompson
Boucher-Pelley-Matteau
McKelvie-D. Zajac-Carrier
Janssen-Wohlberg-Janssen

Fraser-Scarlett
Burlon-McPherson
Kelly-Baier

ECHL
Evansville lost to Fort Wayne 5-1
Myles Bell RW: -1, 2 PIM (Tripping), 1 Shot
Season: 23 GP 8-7-15, -8, 9 PIM, 11.43 SH%, 3.04 SH/GP

-- Just 1 goal over his last 16 games.

Speaking of the Albany Devils, someone posted a pic of their most recent game (might have been tonight) where there are hardly anyone in the stands and they even curtained off many sections in the upper levels like the Florida Panthers have been doing.

Is attendance an issue up there?

Attendance has been an issue but tonight they had 5,008 according to the Times Union.They have an average attendance of 2,990 according to the AHL site which is towards the bottom of the pack.

I wonder if they should call up Matteau to give him some confidence, work with him a little up here and see how he does for a game. Might as well. Boucher is getting hot, why not see what hwe can do?

They're LWs.  NJ still has depth there, unfortunately.  I wonder if they can't trade Matteau for a RW - that'd be a good move.

I wonder if they should call up Matteau to give him some confidence, work with him a little up here and see how he does for a game. Might as well. Boucher is getting hot, why not see what hwe can do?

I think Boucher will get yet another shot once they can trade off one or two of the vets.

I don't know how much value Matteau has or who would be interested.  I know Montreal really liked him in his draft year and tried to trade up for him, but I don't think the return would be ideal.

Speaking of the Albany Devils, someone posted a pic of their most recent game (might have been tonight) where there are hardly anyone in the stands and they even curtained off many sections in the upper levels like the Florida Panthers have been doing.

Is attendance an issue up there?

Well... yes and no.  Don't be too alarmed by the curtains; the entire arena holds a little over 14,000 for hockey, and without the curtains, it certainly feels that big.  The curtains cut the capacity down to about 6700, and most AHL teams don't even average that much.  They can open the upper deck when needed, though it doesn't happen often.  (Their two home playoff games last season drew 6572 and 8026 respectively.)  The one section that is always open is the one that functions as the press box.

Right now the A-Devs are averaging just under 3000, good for third-worst in the AHL.  Attendance is usually pretty crappy in the first half of the season, picking up somewhat after the new year (especially after the NFL season ends) when there's less to do, although we still haven't averaged over 4000 in almost a decade.

Whether or not this all adds up to being "an issue" depends on how you look at it.  Granted, Albany tends to be at or near the bottom of the league's attendance table on a regular basis.  However, the Devils also have a sweetheart lease with the Times Union Center, so they can afford to not draw as well at the gate as perhaps they should.  Also, the organization has been record for a long time as not being overly worried about minor-league attendance, so what might be considered an issue to outside observers probably isn't much of an issue as far as the Devils are concerned.

Well... yes and no.  Don't be too alarmed by the curtains; the entire arena holds a little over 14,000 for hockey, and without the curtains, it certainly feels that big.  The curtains cut the capacity down to about 6700, and most AHL teams don't even average that much.  They can open the upper deck when needed, though it doesn't happen often.  (Their two home playoff games last season drew 6572 and 8026 respectively.)  The one section that is always open is the one that functions as the press box.

Right now the A-Devs are averaging just under 3000, good for third-worst in the AHL.  Attendance is usually pretty crappy in the first half of the season, picking up somewhat after the new year (especially after the NFL season ends) when there's less to do, although we still haven't averaged over 4000 in almost a decade.

Whether or not this all adds up to being "an issue" depends on how you look at it.  Granted, Albany tends to be at or near the bottom of the league's attendance table on a regular basis.  However, the Devils also have a sweetheart lease with the Times Union Center, so they can afford to not draw as well at the gate as perhaps they should.  Also, the organization has been record for a long time as not being overly worried about minor-league attendance, so what might be considered an issue to outside observers probably isn't much of an issue as far as the Devils are concerned.

I occasionally go to Norfolk admirals games and they're lucky if they get 1,500, maybe 2K. They have to be near one of the worst.

AHL 12/30
Albany lost in the final seconds of regulation to Providence 3-2. Boucher and Pelley scored for the Devils with D. Zajac, Johnson, and Janssen picking up an assist each. Boucher had a team high 4 shots as the Devils were outshot 45-26. Wedgewood made a career high 42 saves on 45 shots. Albany went 0/5 on the PP and 2/3 on the PK. Here is the gamesheet and highlights:

Notes:
-- Due to injuries and call ups, the Devils only had 10 healthy forwards so they dressed 8 defensemen. Myles Bell was recalled but unable to make it to Albany in time for the game.
-- Boucher extended his scoring streak to 7 games: 6 goals, 2 assists.
-- Boucher's 1st 17 games: 3-5-8, 6.82 SH%, 2.59 SH/GP. His last 10 games: 7-2-9, 25.93 SH%, 2.70 SH/GP.

-- Busy week for Albany with a 3 in 3 coming up this weekend.

Line Up (via ADevils twitter):
Boucher-Black-Thompson
McKelvie-Pelley-Thomson
Johnson-D. Zajac-Carrier
Janssen-Keenan-Faust

Fraser-Scarlett
Kelly-Baier
Burlon-McPherson

Seems that Keenan and Faust were listed as forwards but that Janssen rotated onto that third line.

ECHL 12/29
Evansville lost to Cincinnati 5-2
Myles Bell RW: E, 3 Shots

LL/JVB didn't care about attendance and losing $$ in the minors.  I'm not sure the new ownership will feel the same way. Will be interesting to see if things change going forward when the lease comes up for renewal.  If the ownership only cares about the bottom line bleeding money in the minors may not make sense. 

LL/JVB didn't care about attendance and losing $$ in the minors.  I'm not sure the new ownership will feel the same way. Will be interesting to see if things change going forward when the lease comes up for renewal.  If the ownership only cares about the bottom line bleeding money in the minors may not make sense. 

I really don't understand the whole concept of not caring about the attendance and losing money in the minors.  What kind of message does that send to the fanbase?  They are willing to take your money but screw you about complaining when we don't give a damn about the on-ice product (as well as off-ice functions as well)?

Maybe if they put some money and some attention towards them, they wouldn't be losing money all those years.  This especially goes towards their handling of the Trenton Devils who they basically mis-managed and broke promises from day 1. 

The way the Devils treat their minor league affiliates makes me wonder why anyone would let them own one or even be affiliated with them.

I really don't understand the whole concept of not caring about the attendance and losing money in the minors.  What kind of message does that send to the fanbase?  They are willing to take your money but screw you about complaining when we don't give a damn about the on-ice product (as well as off-ice functions as well)?

Maybe if they put some money and some attention towards them, they wouldn't be losing money all those years.  This especially goes towards their handling of the Trenton Devils who they basically mis-managed and broke promises from day 1. 

The way the Devils treat their minor league affiliates makes me wonder why anyone would let them own one or even be affiliated with them.

+1. Dead on. The track record speaks for itself.  I'm sure the players love playing in that atmosphere.

If I remember correctly, Albany had little or no choice.  It was either the Devils or nothing once Carolina moved their minor league team to Charlotte. 

I've never been to a minor league game and don't follow minor league teams other than through Feisty's updates, so maybe I'm naive in my thinking on this but, as far as the on-ice product goes, how much else are they supposed to do?  For example, if you want a guy like Wedgewood to develop, he needs to play even though there might be better veteran options to sign to make the AHL team more competitive.  Maybe they could do things better on the business side, I don't know.  But I'm not sure what else they could do to make the on ice product any better.    

If I remember correctly, Albany had little or no choice.  It was either the Devils or nothing once Carolina moved their minor league team to Charlotte. 

I've never been to a minor league game and don't follow minor league teams other than through Feisty's updates, so maybe I'm naive in my thinking on this but, as far as the on-ice product goes, how much else are they supposed to do?  For example, if you want a guy like Wedgewood to develop, he needs to play even though there might be better veteran options to sign to make the AHL team more competitive.  Maybe they could do things better on the business side, I don't know.  But I'm not sure what else they could do to make the on ice product any better.    

I know these are used as a development league so I don't expect them to put out a championship team.  I am more talking about engaging the fans and actually putting a little care into these teams.  I am not asking them to put in tons of money but they should pay a little more attention to them.  I use the Trenton Devils as the biggest example and I think it's apt.  They took a team with a strong and pretty loyal fan base for an ECHL team and pretty much broke every promise they made to them and destroyed the team in less than 5 years.

The Devils have traditionally not spent much money on players who are quadruple A sort of guys.  Those players are expensive and don't do a ton for the organization except help the minor league team win.  Given NJ's drafting issues and the fact that they've jumped a lot of players to the big club without much time in Albany, it hasn't been a very good team for a real long time.  There are some who think that wins in the minor leagues will translate to wins in the NHL, but with how the league is now where future top players simply don't go to the AHL much, I don't think that's true.

Wedgewood is going to cost the A-Devs a playoff spot if he continues to get as much work as he has.

Edited by Triumph

I think the whole AHL landscape is changing in the next year or two with some teams moving to the west coast.  Lot's of shuffling especially for the east coast markets/affiliations. I could see the Devils giving up the ownership piece in the next year or two.