Lou isn't going anywhere

William D'Aquila

Lou basically runs the organization. No one will fire him. He'll retire when he's had enough and his ego calls it quits, and that likely won't be until he hits his early to mid 80's.

As a Giants fan, this reminds me of George Young in the 1990's...bad drafting, bad acquisitions, no "good" young talent waiting in the wings, a strong indication that the game had passed him by, but Young stayed on board despite his failures and had a massive ego that prevented him from retiring. Young had carte blanche all because of his past accomplishments (2 SB's) and turning the franchise around from a loser to a perennial contender.  Same as Lou. Not sure if Lou's ego is as big as Young's was, but in all other cases the comparisons are strikingly similar.

Completely disagree on your 1st comment.  He's more accountable now than he's been at any time since the early 90s and the murmurs behind the scenes continue to back that up despite what people see Harris/Blitzer saying publicly in press conferences (there's a lot of smoke that they want to start seeing some positioning for the future).  That's not to say he'll be publicly shamed and fired, but the owners are not going to stand around and twiddle their thumbs and might push Lou to put in place changes and plan for a succession soon.  If Lou resists too much (always possible with him) I could see him being pushed out. 

No one will fire him. 

No one can say this factually. Josh Harris and/or the other guy could wake up tomorrow and say "Lou, its time for you to go". This isn't the case of a Vanderbeek who knew nothing about owning a sports team and came into the organization as a long time fan and knew what Lou was all about. This team also was still playing at a high level winning divisions and such when Vanderbeek took over the franchise. Ownership can make the change anytime they want to and no one here can say that they never will.

I personally don't think Lou will ever be canned summarily. What I could definitely see happening is the owners go to him and ask him to step down as a way for him to save face and have the "divorce" be respectful rather than dramatic.

Lou just like Brodeur was a tremendous Devils and was absolutely part of all the success we've had. But again, just like Brodeur his ego and drop of performance was/is hurting us more than anything now.

Brodeur'a ego didn't hurt us, people catering to it did. I'm glad they finally stopped doing that.

this obviously  needs to be looked at as a three year plan, so I see lou sticking around till then...how jagr fits into all this is moot

lou needs to do some visionary thinking.  

When is the last time he's shown that? He's been stuck in the same mode for a decade if not longer. Old stubborn dogs don't learn new tricks, he would first have to admit he's made huge mistakes (saw this somewhere else, since 2000 they have drafted 6 guys that have played 200 NHL games), I forget who they were off the top but more than a couple were barely serviceable guys at best. To admit you make mistakes you would have to look in the rear view mirror which Lou has repeatedly said he doesn't do. That wold make him incapable of even assessing his own performance. His way or the highway, love it or piss off.

gdhi I believe it was your quote about the draft choices and having played 200 NHL games, did I recall it correctly or am I off base.

Edited by titans04

When is the last time he's shown that? He's been stuck in the same mode for a decade if not longer. Old stubborn dogs don't learn new tricks, he would first have to admit he's made huge mistakes (saw this somewhere else, since 2000 they have drafted 6 guys that have played 200 NHL games), I forget who they were off the top but more than a couple were barely serviceable guys at best. To admit you make mistakes you would have to look in the rear view mirror which Lou has repeatedly said he doesn't do. That wold make him incapable of even assessing his own performance. His way or the highway, love it or piss off.

But three cups man! Finals three seasons ago man! Lou does no wrong!

gdhi I believe it was your quote about the draft choices and having played 200 NHL games, did I recall it correctly or am I off base.

That stat is dumb because there's nothing that can be done to go back to 2000 and fix that.  Furthermore, the Devils have 4 guys who are locks to fulfill that barring injury currently on their roster. (Merrill, Gelinas, Severson, Larsson).  So it's a really ineffective look at performance.  That's not to say the Devils' draft performance is good - it hasn't been that good.  But it hasn't been as bad as it's made out to be here, and how they did in 2000 really doesn't reflect that much on the present roster - it's just not likely to pull miracles out every year when you are picking late in the 1st round or not at all in the 1st round.  Detroit's done it.  Arguably Philadelphia has done it.  Everyone else who was good in 2000 went through a period of being not good since then.

This year's deadline and draft will say a lot about the direction of the franchise.  To me Lou hasn't made that one move that is deserving of a firing.

• Like 1

That stat is dumb because there's nothing that can be done to go back to 2000 and fix that.  Furthermore, the Devils have 4 guys who are locks to fulfill that barring injury currently on their roster. (Merrill, Gelinas, Severson, Larsson).  So it's a really ineffective look at performance.  That's not to say the Devils' draft performance is good - it hasn't been that good.  But it hasn't been as bad as it's made out to be here, and how they did in 2000 really doesn't reflect that much on the present roster - it's just not likely to pull miracles out every year when you are picking late in the 1st round or not at all in the 1st round.  Detroit's done it.  Arguably Philadelphia has done it.  Everyone else who was good in 2000 went through a period of being not good since then.

This year's deadline and draft will say a lot about the direction of the franchise.  To me Lou hasn't made that one move that is deserving of a firing.

No but its a committee of bad moves, thats just as bad

Great, dumb to you the paper king. Please tell us according to your stats when we will be good again. Stats are great as long as they're ones you choose to believe in. Their drafting and minor leagues are and have been a joke for well well over a decade. They have no concept on building a winning organization from top to bottom. Maybe if they didn't surround their precious few draft choices with fillers they would develop quicker.  

No one can say this factually. Josh Harris and/or the other guy could wake up tomorrow and say "Lou, its time for you to go". This isn't the case of a Vanderbeek who knew nothing about owning a sports team and came into the organization as a long time fan and knew what Lou was all about. This team also was still playing at a high level winning divisions and such when Vanderbeek took over the franchise. Ownership can make the change anytime they want to and no one here can say that they never will.

I personally don't think Lou will ever be canned summarily. What I could definitely see happening is the owners go to him and ask him to step down as a way for him to save face and have the "divorce" be respectful rather than dramatic.

I'm not sure Harris and Blitzer know anything about running a sports team either. That is why they brought in people like O'Neill and Weber, two individuals who historically have not been winners in any fashion.

Weber is especially disgusting issuing prizes that are the result of the Devils futility. 

I'm not sure Harris and Blitzer know anything about running a sports team either. That is why they brought in people like O'Neill and Weber, two individuals who historically have not been winners in any fashion.

Weber is especially disgusting issuing prizes that are the result of the Devils futility.

ONeill and Weber are running the business and entertainment side of things. Lou is running the Devils hockey operations. Just because Harris and Blitzer haven't owned a hockey team before doesn't mean they won't hold the management teams accountable and bring in new people if they want to or decide to.

I have literally no idea what you are trying to say on that last sentence.

ONeill and Weber are running the business and entertainment side of things. Lou is running the Devils hockey operations. Just because Harris and Blitzer haven't owned a hockey team before doesn't mean they won't hold the management teams accountable and bring in new people if they want to or decide to.

I have literally no idea what you are trying to say on that last sentence.

For now that is the case, look at what happened down in Philly once their basketball people were pushed out.

http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-philadelphia-76ers/larry-brown-who-scott-o%E2%80%99neil-way

As for the last comment Hugh Weber gives out prizes that are based on predicting the score for the game that evening. 

Great, dumb to you the paper king. Please tell us according to your stats when we will be good again. Stats are great as long as they're ones you choose to believe in. Their drafting and minor leagues are and have been a joke for well well over a decade. They have no concept on building a winning organization from top to bottom. Maybe if they didn't surround their precious few draft choices with fillers they would develop quicker.  

Well, we all know you start with the ECHL, then you go up from there.  Great rebuttal.  If the Devils' drafting were better, Albany wouldn't necessarily be much better than it is now - those players would be on the NHL team.  The minor leagues are generally where teams develop 3rd liners/back pairing D.  Players who are better than that don't typically spend more than a year in the AHL.

The idea that they don't have a clue about building a winning organization from top to bottom - I mean, they did it once.  And arguably they did it again.  The Devils' first Cup Finals appearance was 17 years before their latest one.  Some of the inefficiencies the Devils took advantage of aren't as present as they used to be, but that goes for everyone.

Well, we all know you start with the ECHL, then you go up from there.  Great rebuttal.  If the Devils' drafting were better, Albany wouldn't necessarily be much better than it is now - those players would be on the NHL team.  The minor leagues are generally where teams develop 3rd liners/back pairing D.  Players who are better than that don't typically spend more than a year in the AHL.

The idea that they don't have a clue about building a winning organization from top to bottom - I mean, they did it once.  And arguably they did it again.  The Devils' first Cup Finals appearance was 17 years before their latest one.  Some of the inefficiencies the Devils took advantage of aren't as present as they used to be, but that goes for everyone.

Bingo, the cap changed things, and because of that a lot of high end prospects are now fast tracked to the NHL, which was not the case prior to 2005.

For now that is the case, look at what happened down in Philly once their basketball people were pushed out.

http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-philadelphia-76ers/larry-brown-who-scott-o%E2%80%99neil-way

As for the last comment Hugh Weber gives out prizes that are based on predicting the score for the game that evening. 

And you are complaining that the Devils are trying to get fans more involved?  For a franchise that historically has been way behind the rest of the league in getting fan involvement I would say that's an improvement.

I guess for some people the new owners and their people will never do anything right. :rolleyes:

Yes it's just crazy to think that IF they had better players (drafted/signed whatever) that all the really important stats like faceoffs won against left handers at center ice while wearing their away jerseys would be better.  Ultimately the only stat that matters in the end is wins and loses to most at least the league anyway because that's what they use to determine who's good and who's bad.  This team has lost it's way over the years, Lou has struggled at best since the lockout/cap. If that's good enough great, enjoy because as long as he's here there's no reason to think it's going to change. If you don't think having a garbage minor league team hurts more power to you.

I'm not trying to be an ass here but all this talk about Lou still being here for x amount of years. Lou is getting up there in age so there is a chance he might not even be here period before he gets fired. I'm sure all this stress can't be that good for you at his age.

Again, not trying to being a dick but this is a part of life and it really wouldn't surprise me.

Yes it's just crazy to think that IF they had better players (drafted/signed whatever) that all the really important stats like faceoffs won against left handers at center ice while wearing their away jerseys would be better.  Ultimately the only stat that matters in the end is wins and loses to most at least the league anyway because that's what they use to determine who's good and who's bad.  This team has lost it's way over the years, Lou has struggled at best since the lockout/cap. If that's good enough great, enjoy because as long as he's here there's no reason to think it's going to change. If you don't think having a garbage minor league team hurts more power to you.

lol.  Chinese gibberish.  Have a good day.