2015–16 Prospect Thread

thefiestygoat

6 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

I have to agree with this.  On a team devoid of top 6 talent, and starving for skilled forwards, we are the one of the best options for a player like Wood looking to make the quickest jump to the NHL from college. 

That said, I think this rule allowing these drafted players to become a FA after a certain period of time is a bunch of BS.  IMO, the player's rights should be held by the organization that drafted him for a 1 year period after the player leaves college or juniors, unless the team doesn't make the player a contract offer at the time they leave school or their junior program.  At the very least, the team that loses the player should get a compensatory pick in the upcoming draft at the end of the round that they originally drafted that player in.  To lose the player for nothing because the player decides to stay in college (which is a right the player has and should have) is unfair.

A player can also refuse contract offers and become a free agent out of junior.  It's also not correct that teams can hold a player's feet to the fire and force them to sign with an organization where they think they would get limited opportunity.  That said, I do think players coming out of college should be UFA August 15th, and if they decide to leave school in the summer, they have to wait until the next August 15 unless their team does not submit a contract offer within the first 30 days of their having been notified of the player's intention to leave school.

24 minutes ago, Stan Fischler's Beard said:

That Conte, what a failure. 

Pretty much,  yeah.  If Wood turns out to be a scoreline + PP forward it would be the first one he drafted since Adam Henrique, and then you have to go back to Travis zajac to find the next one.  If we're grading him for his drafting over the last, oh, 16 years, he doesn't get an F, but he's certainly not above a C, either.

2 hours ago, Triumph said:

Pretty much,  yeah.  If Wood turns out to be a scoreline + PP forward it would be the first one he drafted since Adam Henrique, and then you have to go back to Travis zajac to find the next one.  If we're grading him for his drafting over the last, oh, 16 years, he doesn't get an F, but he's certainly not above a C, either.

That perception would change a lot if Zacha isn't a bust, Santini is a quality defenseman, Quenneville and Speers exceed expectations but not wildly and Blackwood ends up being one of the better goalies in the league wherever he ends up.  I don't think this scenario is totally pie in the sky.   

Agree with your sentiment, Daniel. Maybe I'm just optimistic but Quenneville and Zacha are projecting to be NHLers. I doubt Q will be anything more than a third liner, tho. Wood is also looking great at BC but between the small sample size and potential contract situation, who knows? If his parents made him stay in HS that long, I can't imagine he'll leave BC after two years. If he does stay for four, then his Nhl career begins at 24 and that's assuming no AHL time

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

That perception would change a lot if Zacha isn't a bust, Santini is a quality defenseman, Quenneville and Speers exceed expectations but not wildly and Blackwood ends up being one of the better goalies in the league wherever he ends up.  I don't think this scenario is totally pie in the sky.   

The 2015 draft was billed as being deep and it is playing out that way so far.  Rantanen is crushing the AHL, Connor, Boeser, and White are doing real well in their freshman seasons in college, and guys like Barzal and Konecny are tearing up juniors.  If Zacha busts it is a colossal failure because this was a deep draft and the Devils took the toolsiest player.  

It's unlikely that Santini is a player who has a substantial impact at the NHL level, defense-only D can only do so much.  

Conte getting some players out of the last few drafts doesn't change the fact that there are a few too many drafts on his watch where he got nobody.  If Blackwood is a success, great, that would mean the Devils only went 22 years between drafting NHL-quality goalies, and it's not like they didn't try.  Conte's legacy is certainly not one of failure - by no means, his drafts led to multiple Stanley Cups and he and his staff were wizards for years.  It's just become more intermittent in recent years.

The 2015 draft was billed as being deep and it is playing out that way so far.  Rantanen is crushing the AHL, Connor, Boeser, and White are doing real well in their freshman seasons in college, and guys like Barzal and Konecny are tearing up juniors.  If Zacha busts it is a colossal failure because this was a deep draft and the Devils took the toolsiest player.  

It's unlikely that Santini is a player who has a substantial impact at the NHL level, defense-only D can only do so much.  

Conte getting some players out of the last few drafts doesn't change the fact that there are a few too many drafts on his watch where he got nobody.  If Blackwood is a success, great, that would mean the Devils only went 22 years between drafting NHL-quality goalies, and it's not like they didn't try.  Conte's legacy is certainly not one of failure - by no means, his drafts led to multiple Stanley Cups and he and his staff were wizards for years.  It's just become more intermittent in recent years.

I think Santini could be one of those exceptions to the general rule that defensemen that don't put up a lot of points at the amateur level don't make good NHL defensemen.

The other thing that's a mitigating factor is that he was almost always drafting in the bottom 18. I mean, if the only thing of the current prospect pool that we have to show for it when it's all said and done is Zacha, no matter how good he is, then that's a huge problem. But if it turns out the way I suggested, he would have sufficiently redeemed himself in a lot of people's judgment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tuesday 12/15
WHL
Kamloops defeated Regina 4-3
Ryan Rehill D: +1, 10 PIM (Misconduct)

Edmonton lost to Medicine Hat 2-1
Brandon Baddock C: -1, 2 PIM (Slashing)

Wednesday 12/16
OHL
Flint lost to Saginaw 8-4
Connor Chatham RW: Assist, -2, 2 PIM (Boarding), 5 Shots

WHL
Kamloops lost to Brandon 5-3
Ryan Rehill D: -1, 2 PIM (Interference)

Thursday 12/17
OHL
Sault Ste. Marie defeated Barrie 2-1 (SO)
Blake Speers RW: E, 4 PIM (Delay of Game, Roughing), 2 Shots, 5/12 Faceoffs, Scored in SO
Colton White D: +1, 2 Shots

Friday 12/18
OHL
Flint defeated Oshawa 4-1
Connor Chatham RW: Goal, Assist (EN), +4, 3 Shots

Sarnia defeated Mississauga 6-1
Josh Jacobs D: Assist, +1

Sault Ste. Marie defeated Kitchener 8-5
Blake Speers RW: Goal, 2 Assists (Both PP), +1, 2 PIM (High Sticking), 3 Shots, 5/10 Faceoffs
Colton White D: Assist, +2, 2 PIM (Slashing), 1 Shot

-- White's 1st minor penalty of the season (33 GP).

WHL
Kamloops defeated Moose Jaw 2-1
Ryan Rehill D: E

Edmonton lost to Lethbridge 3-1
Brandon Baddock C: -1, 4 Shots

Saturday 12/19
OHL
Flint lost to Hamilton 4-2
Connor Chatham RW: Goal, E, 5 Shots

-- 4 goals, 6 assists in 8 December games.

Sarnia lost to Erie 3-2 (SO)
Josh Jacobs D: E, 1 Shot

WHL
Kamloops defeated Swift Current 3-0
Ryan Rehill D: Goal, +1

Edmonton defeated Kootenay 5-2
Brandon Baddock C: Goal (PP), Assist (PP), +1, 3 Shots

• 2 weeks later...

Tuesday 12/22
KHL
Dinamo Minsk lost to Slovan Bratislava 4-2
Artur Gavrus LW: DNP (Concussion)

Thursday 12/24
Dinamo Minsk lost to Medvescak Zagreb 3-2 (OT)
Artur Gavrus LW: DNP (Concussion)

-- Gavrus was activated off the injured list on 12/22 and assigned to Dinamo-Molodechno of the Belarus Extraleague.

Saturday 12/26
WJC
Canada lost to USA 4-2
John Quenneville C: E, 2 PIM (Interference)
Mackenzie Blackwood G: DNP (Suspended)

Czech Republic lost to Russia 2-1 (SO)
Pavel Zacha C: E, 2 Shots

Sunday 12/27
WHL
Kamloops lost to Kelowna 2-1
Ryan Rehill D: -1

Edmonton lost to Red Deer 5-4 (OT)
Brandon Baddock C: +2, 2 PIM (Boarding)

Monday 12/28
WJC
Canada defeated Denmark 6-1
John Quenneville C: Goal, +1, 1 Shot
Mackenzie Blackwood G: DNP (Suspended)

Czech Republic defeated Slovakia 2-0
Pavel Zacha C: DNP (Injured)

OHL
Sarnia defeated Windsor 6-3
Josh Jacobs D: +1, 2 PIM (Cross Checking), 2 Shots

Sault Ste. Marie lost to Saginaw 5-1
Blake Speers RW: E, 2 Shots, 13/16 Faceoffs
Colton White D: -2, 2 Shots

WHL
Kamloops lost to Kelowna 3-2
Ryan Rehill D: Assist, E

Edmonton defeated Red Deer 3-1
Brandon Baddock C: Goal, Assist, +1, 5 Shots, 3rd Star

NCAA
Boston College lost to Ohio State 3-2
Steve Santini D: E
Miles Wood LW: -1, 15 PIM (Checking from Behind, Disqualification), 2 Shots
JD Dudek RW: -1, 1/3 Faceoffs

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the lack of updates and the rather long update below. I'll be getting back to more consistent updates now that my work schedule is less demanding with the holiday season over. Also, so it doesn't get lost in the update, Connor Chatham was traded to Windsor on Sunday.

Tuesday 12/29
WJC
Canada defeated Switzerland 3-2
John Quenneville C: E, 1 Shot
Mackenzie Blackwood G: 23 Saves on 25 Shots

OHL
Flint lost to Hamilton 3-2 (OT)
Connor Chatham RW: E, 12 PIM (Roughing, Charging, Fighting, Game Misconduct), 2 Shots

NCAA
Boston College lost to Providence 2-1
Steve Santini D: -1, 2 PIM (Interference), 1 Shot
Miles Wood LW: DNP (Suspended)
JD Dudek RW: E, 0/1 Faceoff

Merrimack lost to Army 3-2
Brett Seney C: DNP (Injured)

Wednesday 12/30
WJC
Czech Republic defeated Belarus 5-3
Pavel Zacha C: DNP (Injured)

WHL
Kamloops lost to Victoria 3-2
Ryan Rehill D: -3

Thursday 12/31
WJC
Canada lost to Sweden 5-2
John Quenneville C: E, 2 PIM (Roughing)
Mackenzie Blackwood G: 27 Saves on 32 Shots

Czech Republic lost to Finland 5-4
Pavel Zacha C: Assist, +1, 3 Shots

OHL
Sarnia lost to London 4-3 (OT)
Josh Jacobs D: -1, 1 Shot

Sault Ste. Marie lost to Windsor 3-2 (SO)
Blake Speers RW: Assist, +1, 3 Shots, 3/6 Faceoffs, Stopped in SO
Colton White D: Goal, +1, 4 Shots

Friday 1/1
WHL
Kamloops defeated Victoria 4-1
Ryan Rehill D: Goal (PP), +2, 2nd Star

Edmonton defeated Brandon 4-3 (OT)
Brandon Baddock C: +2, 4 PIM (High Sticking, Interference), 1 Shot

NCAA
Harvard defeated Ferris State 7-3
Alex Kerfoot C: Assist, E, 1 Shot, 7/14 Faceoffs

Saturday 1/2
WJC Quarterfinals
Canada lost to Finland 6-5
John Quenneville C: Assist, E
Mackenzie Blackwood G: 23 Saves on 29 Shots

Czech Republic lost to USA 7-0
Pavel Zacha C: -2, 1 Shot

OHL
Flint lost to Windsor 6-2
Connor Chatham RW: Goal, E, 3 Shots

Sarnia lost to London 5-4
Josh Jacobs D: +1, 1 Shot

Sault Ste. Marie lost to Saginaw 4-3 (OT)
Blake Speers RW: Assist, E, 4 Shots
Colton White D: E, 2 Shots

WHL
Kamloops lost to Everett 4-3 (OT)
Ryan Rehill D: Assist, -3, 4 PIM (Tripping, Roughing)

Edmonton lost to Medicine Hat 5-2
Brandon Baddock C: -2, 2 PIM (Roughing)

NCAA
Harvard defeated Minnesota 4-3
Alex Kerfoot C: Assist, E, 2 Shots, 9/18 Faceoffs

Merrimack lost to Union 3-2
Brett Seney C: Goal (PP), E, 2 PIM (Embellishment), 1 Shot, 4/15 Faceoffs

Sunday 1/3
OHL
Sault Ste. Marie defeated Flint 4-2
Blake Speers RW: 2 Assists (Both PP), E, 2 Shots, 6/12 Faceoffs, 2nd Star
Colton White D: E, 1 Shot

NCAA
Merrimack lost to Dartmouth 3-0
Brett Seney C: E, 2 PIM (Cross Checking), 1 Shot, 4/6 Faceoffs

Wednesday 1/6
OHL
Sault Ste. Marie lost to Sudbury 6-4
Blake Speers RW: Assist, E, 2 Shots, 3/11 Faceoffs
Colton White D: -1, 2 PIM (Closing Hand on Puck), 3 Shots

-- Speers has 11 goals and 28 assists in 38 games. He had 4 goals and 15 assists in his first 24 games. He has 7 goals and 13 assists in his last 14 games.

WHL
Kamloops lost to Prince George 4-3 (SO)
Ryan Rehill D: -2

Edmonton defeated Vancouver 3-1
Brandon Baddock C: Goal, Assist, +2, 4 Shots

Wasn't sure where to put this. Pan Karalis (thecoffeecake) recently took a trip to Saint John, New Brunswick during Christmas vacation. In a well written and very descriptive piece, he gives us a great view of hockey and culture in Canada. Painting a very unique picture. A fascinating read:

A glimpse into junior hockey and the QMJHL

To get to the game from where we were, we were instructed to take the Saint John “pedway” to the stadium, a pedestrian sky-walk system that connects many major destinations in Uptown Saint John. People in the city seemed very proud of this system, and we were told to take it almost everywhere when we were asking for directions. Like I said, New Brunswickers really seem to hate the cold. As we headed toward the stadium, it became clear pretty quickly that Sea Dogs games are a big community event for people in the area. Family and friends were running into each other, chatting and comparing tickets and seat locations, and groups of obnoxious teenagers instead of congregating at the mall or the movie theater seemed that night to all be at Harbour Station. That is the kind of environment every sports club that attracts spectators should be trying to cultivate, and it was a nice thing to experience. Even though it seemed like half of the town was at the game, only one of every four or five people were actually in Sea Dogs gear. People were representing with their apparel the wide array of NHL teams that have sizeable support in Saint John. The Bruins and Canadiens are definitely the most supported NHL teams in the city, and when I would ask locals about who is the most popular NHL team, the answer tended to go back and forth between Boston and Montreal. There was also a sizeable Flames presence, which I later found out was because the Flames housed their AHL affiliate in Harbour Station from 1993-2003. The Saint John Flames were formerly the Utica Devils, who were bought by Calgary and relocated after Martin Brodeur’s last season with Utica in the AHL.

Edited by Derek21

Thanks everyone!

Thursday 1/7
OHL
Windsor defeated Owen Sound 5-0
Connor Chatham RW: Assist, +1, 2 PIM (High Sticking), 3 Shots
Season: 35 GP 11-19-30, -2, 44 PIM, 10.38 SH%, 3.03 SH/GP

-- 1st game for Windsor.

Barrie defeated Mississauga 7-4
Mackenzie Blackwood G: 30 Saves on 34 Shots
Season: 25 GP 17-7, 2.43 GAA, .930 SV%, 2 SO, 16 QS, 64.00 QS%

NCAA
Harvard lost to Boston University 6-5
Alex Kerfoot C: 2 Assists (1 PP), E, 8/17 Faceoffs
Season: 12 GP 2-15-17, +5, 8 PIM, 9.52 SH%, 1.75 SH/GP, 44.86 FO%

-- Small sample size but he currently has the 2nd highest assists per game rate in college.

2 hours ago, Derek21 said:

Wasn't sure where to put this. Pan Karalis (thecoffeecake) recently took a trip to Saint John, New Brunswick during Christmas vacation. In a well written and very descriptive piece, he gives us a great view of hockey and culture in Canada. Painting a very unique picture. A fascinating read:

A glimpse into junior hockey and the QMJHL

I enjoyed reading that, thanks for sharing!

Friday 1/8
OHL
Sarnia lost to Owen Sound 5-4 (OT)
Pavel Zacha C: 2 Assists, +2, 2 PIM (Interference), 2 Shots, 3/3 Faceoffs, 3rd Star
Josh Jacobs D: -1, 1 Shot

Barrie lost to Guelph 5-2
Mackenzie Blackwood G: DNP

Sault Ste. Marie lost to Erie 2-1 (OT)
Blake Speers RW: E, 2 Shots, 6/12 Faceoffs
Colton White D: -1, 1 Shot

WHL
Brandon defeated Prince Albert 8-1
John Quenneville C: Goal, Assist, +3, 5 PIM (Fighting), 3rd Star

Kamloops defeated Tri-City 3-2
Ryan Rehill D: Assist, +2

NCAA
Boston College defeated Providence 7-3
Steve Santini D: E, 1 Shot
Miles Wood LW: Assist (PP), -1, 3 Shots
JD Dudek RW: E, 0/1 Faceoff

Merrimack lost to Cornell 3-0
Brett Seney C: -1, 2 Shots, 6/9 Faceoffs

13 hours ago, nessus said:

Travis Konecny (24th overall pick in the 2015 draft) was traded to Sarnia. He should definitely help Sarnia's offense, so maybe we'll see Zacha's production go up!

Both of Zacha's assists came on goals by Konecny tonight.:D

Didn't actually see it but they originally credited Zacha with a 2nd assist on Konecky's first goal as well which would have given him 3 for the game.  

Oh well, I'm just glad to see Sarnia decide to add players.  Hopefully this will translate to a good long OHL playoff run for Zacha and Jacobs.  

One of these days I want to catch a Wheat Kings game on TV.  One of Quenville's teammates Nolan Patrick is supposed to be in the running for top pick in 2017.    

Saturday 1/9
OHL
Windsor lost to Barrie 3-1
Connor Chatham RW: Goal (PP), -2, 4 Shots
Mackenzie Blackwood G: 32 Saves on 33 Shots, 2nd Star

Sarnia defeated Saginaw 5-4 (SO)
Pavel Zacha C: Assist, E, 2 PIM (High Sticking), 10 Shots, 2/2 Faceoffs, Scored in SO
Josh Jacobs D: E, 2 PIM (Check from Behind), 1 Shot

WHL
Brandon defeated Swift Current 4-3
John Quenneville C: E

Kamloops defeated Portland 4-3 (OT)
Ryan Rehill D: Goal (GWG), +3, 5 PIM (Fighting)

Edmonton lost to Calgary 4-3 (OT)
Brandon Baddock C: Goal, -1, 7 PIM (High Sticking, Fighting), 2 Shots, 1st Star

NCAA
Harvard lost to Quinnipiac 5-4 (OT)
Alex Kerfoot C: Goal, -2, 1 Shot, 8/17 Faceoffs

Boston College tied Providence 4-4
Steve Santini D: 2 Assists, E, 2 PIM (Roughing), 1 Shot
Miles Wood LW: -1, 3 Shots, 0/1 Faceoff
JD Dudek RW: E

Merrimack lost to Cornell 5-2
Brett Seney C: DNP (Upper Body Injury)

• Like 1

I managed to catch the Sarnia game last night.  The first thing I noticed is that Zacha was playing LW all night with the new additions Konecny on RW and Studnicka at C.  I know it doesn't show in the points, but that line was absolutely dominant, especially in the first period.  You can see it by Zacha's shot totals which presumably don't even include the post he hit in the first.  I thought PZ could have easily had a hat trick by the 1st intermission with a little luck and/or the Saginaw goalie not standing on his head.   In the past, when people have mentioned his relative lack of points compared to Strome and Marner, I've often pointed to his lack of good linemates.   Despite not really cashing, I think last night kind of confirmed that for me.  IMO you'll will start to see Zacha's (and Konecny's) point totals go way up now that they have a line of all-stars on par with Dvorak-Tkachuk-Marner in London or DeBrincat-Strome-Raddysh in Erie.   Also, his assist was a primary on a very nice backdoor pass on a 2 on 1 and the penalty shot move was nasty. 

As for the negative, he continues to take undisciplined penalties.  I see it was listed as a high stick but it really appeared to be more of a roughing after the whistle and it was in OT!.  One of the Saginaw guys took a bit of a late swipe at the goalie and Zacha really went after him.  It's nice to stick up for your goalie but you absolutely can't take a penalty there.  He also made an alarming number of absolute bone head plays in his own zone.  He had two terrible turnovers right in front of his own net with 2 minutes to go and then again 30 seconds into OT.  The goalie bailed him out on both.  There was also a play in the first period that stood out for the wrong reasons.   Zacha plays the point on the PP and the Spirit had a 2 on 2 shorthanded rush where Zacha should have been covering the pass.  Instead, as soon as they got to around the top of the circles, he bolts to the man with the puck (who was already covered) leaving his guy open in front of the net for a nice redirect.  Again, he was bailed out by his goalie.  

Anyway, the good news is that most of the negative stuff is either coachable or he'll naturally grow out of.  The talent and skill package that the Devils desperately need is definitely there.     

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 3