Is Cory Schneider turning in the single greatest regular season goalie performance in Devils history?

'7'

An unbelievable .929 save percentage. 

The 29th ranked offense in the league in front of him. And if the season ended today we'd be in the playoffs

I have to say this is the first time I've seen a goalie truly carry this team.

One thing that's most irritating though is that things may not be aligning properly in that we're not icing a competitive enough team in his prime. I worry we may be wasting Cory's prime years.

• Like 1

Considering our other famous goalie is considered by some to be the best that ever played the game, I'm not sure everyone would agree. But stat wise, it's hard to argue. 

We we wouldn't even be in the toilet without him, we'd be flushed and halfway out into the ocean. 

In '96-97, Marty had a .927 save percentage (Hasek was .930 that year), ten shutouts, 1.88 goals against and 37 wins when you still had ties.  That team was also in the bottom half of goals for (231), although this team is well on its way to being significantly worse in that department.

Do we know if the Devils home counter is still undercounting shots like he used to?

Was going to point out Marty's '96-'97 season.  Marty was pretty beastly from a pure-puckstopping perspective that year. 

Cory's been awesome, no question, but save%s are so bloated now...when Marty put up his .927, only four guys were over .920.  This year, 20 goalies are at .920 or better.  Cory's .929 is great, but .929 definitely isn't what it was when Hasek was pulling that off (when no one else really was, back in the mid to late 90s).

Cory's 2015-16 is definitely up there to date though.  I thought he was pretty terrific last season as well, considering what he had in front of him.  He remains the least of the Devils' problems.

Brodeur was awesome in 06-07. That team got some awful breaks late in the season with the Andreychuk ankle break, toe in the crease disallowed goals, and just no goal support in general for Brodeur. That was a cup caliber team.

Though I would bet Cory faces more quality chances now than Marty did then...seems like Brodeur would still get the 18-19 save shutouts but I can't recall him throwing up 38 save zeroes like Schneider just did.

It's so hard to compare goalies' stats now as compared to before. The parity helps. Scoring overall is down. With the exception of the Hawks (Kane), Stars and Caps, most teams just aren't consistent scoring goals. There aren't as many elite teams in the cap era as most are broken up. All that stated, Schneider has carried a team devoid of talent. Cammalleri is the Devs' best scorer. It's the brilliant play of the goalie that keeps them in games and allows them to stay in the mix. They don't have a dominant defense either. Larsson is their best followed by Greene. They've gotten good contributions from Stempniak, Henrique, J. Moore and Zajac even tho his scoring has come back down. I attribute it to the coaching too of Hynes, who squeezes the most out of players. 

Cory is a top 3 Vezina candidate. He's been splendid covering up for the Devs, who aren't a strong possession team. Brodeur proved he could still succeed without the Big 3. He took the Devs to the SCF in 2012 besting Lundqvist. The '03 team wasn't great by any stretch but Marty stoned the Sens. I feel that he played in a much better era. But also had a lot more talent around him. 

7 hours ago, '7' said:

Brodeur was awesome in 06-07. That team got some awful breaks late in the season with the Andreychuk ankle break, toe in the crease disallowed goals, and just no goal support in general for Brodeur. That was a cup caliber team.

Though I would bet Cory faces more quality chances now than Marty did then...seems like Brodeur would still get the 18-19 save shutouts but I can't recall him throwing up 38 save zeroes like Schneider just did.

Are you thinking '96-'97?

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/20/2016 at 11:42 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Was going to point out Marty's '96-'97 season.  Marty was pretty beastly from a pure-puckstopping perspective that year. 

Cory's been awesome, no question, but save%s are so bloated now...when Marty put up his .927, only four guys were over .920.  This year, 20 goalies are at .920 or better.  Cory's .929 is great, but .929 definitely isn't what it was when Hasek was pulling that off (when no one else really was, back in the mid to late 90s).

Cory's 2015-16 is definitely up there to date though.  I thought he was pretty terrific last season as well, considering what he had in front of him.  He remains the least of the Devils' problems.

That's insane.  I think you make a very good point that I didn't realize this at all. The bolded is important to remember.  Is Schneider playing out of his mind? Yeah this season has been an example of that, but if we're being very critical and serious about comparing single seasons, it seems that we're very lucky to have a goalie who is playing up to the average sv pct. of the league today.  A goalie needs to post the save percentages at .910-.940 if you want to even sniff the Cup in this era.  I understand we're talking single season, if we take the playoffs into account the goalie needs to go into a 'next level' so to speak.