GDT: 1994 @ NJ Devils, 2/25/17 5:00 pm

CommonDreads

Schneider is getting buried for soft goals because his offense almost never helps him out.  Yeah, that last one by Zibanejad sucks, but it's not some floater from the blueline, Zibanejad was in alone - any goalie will get beat there sometimes.  One consequence of giving up more shots is that you will see more soft goals - some of those do go in.  But when your means to win games night in and night out is one guy, trying to hold on 2-1 every night, some nights that's just not going to happen and you give up the tying goal.

Schneider hasn't been great this year, but this team has these offensive ranks since he's been a Devil:

2013-14:  27th

2014-15:  28th

2015-16:  30th

2016-17:  29th

His record when the Devils score 3 or more goals was insanely good up until this season.  People don't have faith in him because the rest of the team has put him in the situation to look bad, confirmation bias is a big thing, and when a team loses consistently it's natural to start blaming the best players.  And Cory isn't blameless this season.  But he's a great goaltender and when the Devils finally get an offense that's anywhere close to how good he is, he'll show it.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, '7' said:

The Rangers are good. I'll give them that...but what I saw today (and throughout) this season really doesn't align to their record as it is right now. Especially with the goaltending they've gotten this year from Lundqvist. 

Grabner has been immense for them. But no I would not trust their D. We never get scoring chances and we got 2 million of them today

They're definitely good,  But they're a bottom 10 possession team, and it's perfectly clear as to why.  They like us allow the opposition to possess the puck at will in their own end.

4 hours ago, Triumph said:

Schneider is getting buried for soft goals because his offense almost never helps him out.  Yeah, that last one by Zibanejad sucks, but it's not some floater from the blueline, Zibanejad was in alone - any goalie will get beat there sometimes.  One consequence of giving up more shots is that you will see more soft goals - some of those do go in.  But when your means to win games night in and night out is one guy, trying to hold on 2-1 every night, some nights that's just not going to happen and you give up the tying goal.

Schneider hasn't been great this year, but this team has these offensive ranks since he's been a Devil:

2013-14:  27th

2014-15:  28th

2015-16:  30th

2016-17:  29th

His record when the Devils score 3 or more goals was insanely good up until this season.  People don't have faith in him because the rest of the team has put him in the situation to look bad, confirmation bias is a big thing, and when a team loses consistently it's natural to start blaming the best players.  And Cory isn't blameless this season.  But he's a great goaltender and when the Devils finally get an offense that's anywhere close to how good he is, he'll show it.

Yeah, I was kinda upset at Cory for the GWG but I mean it's a one on one. It's a coin flip. He got fooled by the cheesy fake. Sucks but we allowed 40 SOG.

I also don't get the knock that he isn't clutch or doesn't show up in big games because I'd like to know when these so called big games took place. There hasn't been a meaningful game around these parts in a long time I'm afraid. That game yesterday afternoon was ultimately pretty irrelevant to the fate of both teams, and we all know that.

I get that everyone can have their opinion, but I don't know. Count me as being in the crowd that can't wait to see what guys like Palmieri, Schneider, and Hall will do for this club once we finally get back to the playoffs.

I was pissed that they lost when it happened and still am not happy about it; all I saw was the 3rd and OT I have to say the 3rd was awesome. As for the OT, I thought it wasn't so much the break that Palms should have had but the second chance he should have netted. Tough to be too hard on a guy that scored 2/3 of the teams goals but I thought he should have buried that one. Don't blame Schneider. Yeah the winner could have been stopped but he made a good fake and located the shot perfectly in a high danger scoring chance. I agree with the posters defending Cory. On the list of problems with this team, Schneider is at the bottom. If we had an average team in front of him we'd make the playoffs easily.

Don't get me wrong - Schneider is way down on the list of problems. And yes - despite my previous statement, a real good team can win w/ not great goaltending. But it's rare. And you need 4 or 5 hall of famers to do it. 

But by the time the devils draft toews Kane seabrook Keith and trade for Hossa, our Cory will be either retired or gone. 

The Devils honestly were buried this year in early December and Cory's putrid 7 weeks when the Devils needed him and the games did matter - he was absent. 

Last night is a game you need to come up big. The rest of the team did. I could find something absolutely positive about everyone save Lovejoy who can go sit on a jagged piece of balsa wood. 

Goal 4 is awful. Make the save. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sundstrom said:

Don't get me wrong - Schneider is way down on the list of problems. And yes - despite my previous statement, a real good team can win w/ not great goaltending. But it's rare. And you need 4 or 5 hall of famers to do it. 

But by the time the devils draft toews Kane seabrook Keith and trade for Hossa, our Cory will be either retired or gone. 

The Devils honestly were buried this year in early December and Cory's putrid 7 weeks when the Devils needed him and the games did matter - he was absent. 

Last night is a game you need to come up big. The rest of the team did. I could find something absolutely positive about everyone save Lovejoy who can go sit on a jagged piece of balsa wood. 

I mean, Cory has had to endure a lot here, and I'd say overall he's fared pretty well. Look at a guy like Devan Dubnyk. Guy spends the first half of his career getting shellacked year in, year out in Edmonton and then floats to a few more teams before landing in Minnesota and all of the sudden he is suddenly one of the best goaltenders in the NHL. Meanwhile, Cory has been stuck on these awful rosters we've been putting out and somehow putting up respectable to great numbers. So what happens when we get a halfway decent team and put it in front of him? I mean we're literally worse than every single team sans one at putting the puck in the net. 

Before we say we need to see what he can do with 4-5 hall of famers, how about we see what he can do with even league average?! We can't even give him top 20! not even top 25! I mean at some point, we need to ice a roster that can actually complete the main objective of the sport because as of now every single team Cory has played for has been worse than anything Marty ever had to deal with. The only team that was worse going by goals per game going back to 1991 than the teams Cory has played for is the Johnny Mac disaster of 2010-11.

4 hours ago, sundstrom said:

So he had a bad seven weeks and the rest of the team has had a bad, what, 15 weeks?  They haven't played well since November.  They're not a good team even with Schneider playing .925 hockey - they've still got a negative goal differential.

Goal 4 is not awful.  It's not good, for sure, and it's a shot Schneider should stop a large percentage of the time.  It's not a shot I expect him or any other goalie to stop 100%.  The Rangers had 40 shots last night.  Maybe the Devils should think about allowing fewer shots.

The Devils aren't going to dig up 5 hall of famers like Steven M said - most teams don't have that.  If by 'win anything' you mean 'a Stanley Cup', sure, it's a remote possibility that the Devils ever win a Stanley Cup with Schneider.  But a playoff round, or several playoff rounds?  I don't see why not.

Let's also not overlook the fact that the Devils have not had an above-average (average defined as total goals scored in the league divided by number of teams) offense since 2004, and obviously haven't been close since 2012.  It's easy to think this is normal.

Edited by Triumph

31 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Considering our last goalie was literally the best ever to play the game, we did pretty well with our replacement.  We need to start building and utilizing our young talent before hes gone.  

Exactly, if we had an offense that could pull its own weight, I'd be more upset at Schneider, but the fact is, even from last year our offense has taken a downturn. We just don't have the talent and some of the "talented" players we do have decide to go cold for what feels like the rest of the season.

It wont get fixed by the end of the season, I'm off the playoff bandwagon and onto 'let's make it interesting at least' bandwagon, but we need to take further steps to improve the offense this summer. Not Lou-type improvements of bottom 6 players who might be passable at middle 6 chances, but actual top 6 guys, no clue how it will happen, but that's also why I'm typing on a message board and not sitting in the front office in Newark.

After yesterday's game, I'm ready to jump on the Palmieri for Captain train. Don't think you could do much better, homegrown Jersey kid and he wears his heart on his sleeve every game, he was the player yesterday that came out in that 3rd period and battled for his home crowd. After the game was over I left so impressed with him, guy is a true Devil.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

After yesterday's game, I'm ready to jump on the Palmieri for Captain train. Don't think you could do much better, homegrown Jersey kid and he wears his heart on his sleeve every game, he was the player yesterday that came out in that 3rd period and battled for his home crowd. After the game was over I left so impressed with him, guy is a true Devil.

Somebody proposed that on the Devils Daily podcast the other day, and I thought it was intriguing. He's probably my favorite player on the team these days, so I wanted to try to leave bias out of it but yeah... it's hard not to love the way he plays. He really does it all out there. How many times in a game that we've actually won this year has he had a critical block with less than 15 seconds remaining? Despite starting the year cold as ice, still leads the team with 18 goals now. Probably has a legitimate shot at 25 maybe.

He just plays with so much pride. That's what was so heartbreaking about him not ending it yesterday. It could've been such a fantastic moment in an otherwise forgettable season. At the very least he should have an 'A' next year, hopefully we hit the jackpot and somehow Cammalleri is in Vegas or something next year to facilitate this.

• Like 3

Complaining about Schneider is like buying a used car with a busted engine, a dilapidated interior, a rusted paint job, then bitching about one minor scratch on one of the rims.  Tri nailed it in his two posts re: Schneider. 

As far as his "clutchness" goes...let me see the guy at least play for a legit playoff contender for a few years.  He's on a bad team that would be a lot worse if he wasn't around. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Complaining about Schneider is like buying a used car with a busted engine, a dilapidated interior, a rusted paint job, then bitching about one minor scratch on one of the rims.  Tri nailed it in his two posts re: Schneider. 

As far as his "clutchness" goes...let me see the guy at least play for a legit playoff contender for a few years.  He's on a bad team that would be a lot worse if he wasn't around. 

He's not a bad goaltender by any means. I have never said that. What I'm saying is that he will be a passenger and not the reason should the Devils start winning big games.

23 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

He's not a bad goaltender by any means. I have never said that. What I'm saying is that he will be a passenger and not the reason should the Devils start winning big games.

I can't make any declarations like that until he's actually playing in some real big games.  This team pretty much doesn't get it done as a group in what amounts to "big games" for them (basically, damned near every time they have a chance to start to get into the race for a playoff berth, they do nothing). 

I have seen Schneider play very well for extended periods since coming here.  The guy stops pucks at a terrific rate.  He's put up a .930 save% for February, despite facing an average of 33 shots per game, and often getting minimal help from the guys in front of him. 

I wasn't posting to you directly, but Schneider is the one guy who should really be getting more of a pass than he does.  He can't really do much better than he has since the start of 2017.  He's done a pretty nice job turning a potentially bad year into an overall respectable one.