Keith Kinkaid Appreciation Thread.

Neb00rs

32 minutes ago, aclc79 said:

One thing in his favor is his good stick-handling ability.  That's important in today's run and gun game.  He is able to start the rush better than CS.  I agree, the weaknesses is his game are really coachable.

An important part of a goaltender's game unfortunately forced out of hockey by the NHL. The trapezoid is way overdue to be eliminated. Why remove the goaltender from the corners who can produce offense in favor of corner scraps where players can get hurt? Stupid.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

An important part of a goaltender's game unfortunately forced out of hockey by the NHL. The trapezoid is way overdue to be eliminated. Why remove the goaltender from the corners who can produce offense in favor of corner scraps where players can get hurt? Stupid.

Plus, the guy that you made the rule for is retired. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

I love kinkaid and always wanted him back here to sit behind Cory, but even during this run there are flaws in his game that worry me hopefully going into the playoffs. 

I don't know what it's called in the hockey goaltending sphere, but that equivalent of his angle play is just not good, even to my untrained eye. He doesn't use his body effectively in his positing, especially handling the rush. You can see it on that big 2-1 save he made against Pittsburgh. Before the pass, he was pulled way beyond his near post before he got across and made the save. 

BUT, what's encouraging, is that things like that are extremely coachable. Now, whether it's correctable after 20+ years of playing high level hockey and receiving the best coaching available, who knows. The raw talent and confidence he's been displaying is not. 

I dont think you know anything abiut playing the position.  His positioning is fine, esp on breakaways.  Is he perfect.... no, no goalie is.  While he may let up more then some would like he comes up big and make the key saves (something which any goalie stat won't show you).

I'm very interested on what happens next season, whether kk can maintain this level of play.   If he can, I really think you entertain the idea of trading cory (once he bounces back and shows he's not totally useless)

11 minutes ago, bobilly45 said:

I dont think you know anything abiut playing the position.  His positioning is fine, esp on breakaways.  Is he perfect.... no, no goalie is.  While he may let up more then some would like he comes up big and make the key saves (something which any goalie stat won't show you).

I'm very interested on what happens next season, whether kk can maintain this level of play.   If he can, I really think you entertain the idea of trading cory (once he bounces back and shows he's not totally useless)

He pretty consistently positions himself way beyond his near post. No, I don't know the techniques intimately, but I know things like that minimize your efficiency in the amount of goal you cover and the amount of space you can cover in a given amount of time. 

He's in the NHL, so obviously it's not THAT big of a problem, but relative to NHL talent, it's a flaw in his game. You saw it on the play he took the tripping penalty on earlier.

Edited by thecoffeecake

On 3/11/2018 at 1:28 PM, Martyisth3b3st said:

He’s at 17. If he gets to 24 wins and we make the playoffs, I’ll temporarily change my username to that until we’re eliminated. 

I’m getting the name change forms ready...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

Damn Keith, u scary.

Flaws in his game or not, the guy just wins.  And his teammates are all in with him.  Their confidence in him is sky-high right now.  And he pays them back, with a great effort every night!

8 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

He pretty consistently positions himself way beyond his near post. No, I don't know the techniques intimately, but I know things like that minimize your efficiency in the amount of goal you cover and the amount of space you can cover in a given amount of time. 

He's in the NHL, so obviously it's not THAT big of a problem, but relative to NHL talent, it's a flaw in his game. You saw it on the play he took the tripping penalty on earlier.

I think you're just looking for a problem.... really isn't there.   It used to be an issue for him early him which has been corrected.

13 hours ago, aclc79 said:

Flaws in his game or not, the guy just wins.  And his teammates are all in with him.  Their confidence in him is sky-high right now.  And he pays them back, with a great effort every night!

KK's confidence in himself is what I'm most enjoying. It's turned him into a completely different player. And reading around HF boards, the rest of the league is noticing this run he's on. He's now played his last 18 games at .931. That's over 1/4 of a full-time NHL starter's average season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neb00rs said:

KK's confidence in himself is what I'm most enjoying. It's turned him into a completely different player. And reading around HF boards, the rest of the league is noticing this run he's on. He's now played his last 18 games at .931. That's over 1/4 of a full-time NHL starter's average season.

You could see glimpses of good in him since he first played,  but was always struggling with consistency.   Seems with cs going down, he's learned to handle a starters load, be more consistent, and gain a ton of confidence (both on and off the ice). 

To put things in perspective kk has 24 wins, 10 losses and 3 otl in just 36 games started this season.   In Corys best season win wise in 2015 he had 27 wins, 25 losses, and 6 otl in 56 games started..   

If he plays all and wins out ( which I think cory might get the last game) he would tie cs with 27 wins in 39 games, or 17 less games then it took cs.

I hope he continues his run into the playoffs, and can steal us some games

KK is good at starting a rush out of the d-zone.  We had seen him playing for Lowell in the AHL handling the stick real well, and he's starting to do that here as well.  (He's feeling it!)  With Zucs and Fast out, NYR are missing some of their speed.  Advantage us, even if Hank plays.  (Zucs can be such a pain in the butt!)

Edited by aclc79

37 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Since 02/13/18:

5ac50a2462799_Screenshot(114).thumb.png.081e7f863f56a6dd6a0078b2225d6d91.png

He actually had a bad game on 02/13 despite getting the win. If we start at 02/14 he has a .930 since then.

That's the day someone (from HF?) criticized his play on Twitter.  Seems to have lit a fire under his ass.

image.thumb.png.3e6d63b05de86548e7d8be061e6a3816.png

• Haha 2

It is a hilarious coincidence but really I think Keith got going DURING that game if you remember it, he was terrible early against the Flyers but then when the chips were down later on he made some huge saves and came up big in the shootout.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

It is a hilarious coincidence but really I think Keith got going DURING that game if you remember it, he was terrible early against the Flyers but then when the chips were down later on he made some huge saves and came up big in the shootout.

Maybe in between periods, Hynes played "the wheels on the bus" in the locker room for him. 

6 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

Since 02/13/18:

5ac50a2462799_Screenshot(114).thumb.png.081e7f863f56a6dd6a0078b2225d6d91.png

He actually had a bad game on 02/13 despite getting the win. If we start at 02/14 he has a .930 since then.

It's just unfathomable that if KK is 'only' 12-6-1 during this stretch (which is still pretty darn good) the team's on the outside of the playoffs looking in, probably for good.

Of course if Cory was ONLY 3-6-2 instead of 0-9-2 this would have not only been long over now but the Devils would have a real shot at the division itself.

10 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

It's just unfathomable that if KK is 'only' 12-6-1 during this stretch (which is still pretty darn good) the team's on the outside of the playoffs looking in, probably for good.

Of course if Cory was ONLY 3-6-2 instead of 0-9-2 this would have not only been long over now but the Devils would have a real shot at the division itself.

I was just saying to someone yesterday, "Wow, if the Devils hadn't gone 6-0-1 we might not be in it right now."  Sure glad we did.

Ultimately, there's a few reasons we haven't clinched even after this run. But yeah, bad goaltending is at the forefront of it.