2018 Pre-Season Thread

NJDfan1711

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

Haha...... It's lazers, you can see the light stop on his arm

I wish they would have went in the meme direction and used the old elementary school photo early 90's laser background

75d.jpg

Also got tickets to the game on Monday for myself and my brother.  He is a Rangers fan so this is the only time we go to games together where it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.  Now I am going to 2 games next week and cannot wait.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

Were they going to get an elite level talent back for a potential hall of famer on a rental? Who knows, but these clowns got less than nearly anyone expected, AND they didn’t even trade Bobby Ryan to take the downgrade in return.

No, they were not going to get elite level talent or they would have. Instead they got assets, definitely 6, maybe 8. For a guy who wasn't going to re-sign, wanted the hell out of town, and has not signed an extension as part of the deal. Would you give up elite players for 5 months of Karlsson?

They would have gotten elite talent back if there was an extension as part of the deal. There wasn't, and he's not worth that level of talent as a rental player. It's as simple as that. 

I would add, its way better than letting him walk in free agency also. 

47 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I wish they would have went in the meme direction and used the old elementary school photo early 90's laser background

75d.jpg

Also got tickets to the game on Monday for myself and my brother.  He is a Rangers fan so this is the only time we go to games together where it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.  Now I am going to 2 games next week and cannot wait.

I read this incredibly fast and determined that was a picture of your brother. I am really hoping I was right. 

I'll bet Dorian received better offers earlier on. When he thought they weren't enough (at that time) both teams moved on. Now, as camp is cranking up, he feels he doesn't want him (EK) in the room at all, takes whatever he got.

He had all summer to get this done.  I don't really know what went into it, but I'll bet Melnik was involved.

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

No, they were not going to get elite level talent or they would have. Instead they got assets, definitely 6, maybe 8. For a guy who wasn't going to re-sign, wanted the hell out of town, and has not signed an extension as part of the deal. Would you give up elite players for 5 months of Karlsson?

They would have gotten elite talent back if there was an extension as part of the deal. There wasn't, and he's not worth that level of talent as a rental player. It's as simple as that. 

I read this incredibly fast and determined that was a picture of your brother. I am really hoping I was right. 

Haha nah it is just a picture I found on google.

30 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

I'll bet Dorian received better offers earlier on. When he thought they weren't enough (at that time) both teams moved on. Now, as camp is cranking up, he feels he doesn't want him (EK) in the room at all, takes whatever he got.

He had all summer to get this done.  I don't really know what went into it, but I'll bet Melnik was involved.

I remember reading somewhere, I can't remember where and I can't verify it, that EK was holding up the whole thing by refusing to sign an extension because he wanted to see if his family liked it where ever he was traded before he commit to a long term deal. Looking at it now, especially since he didn't sign an extension with the Sharks, it makes sense that it could have been true. It still probably would have been better for Ottawa to have gotten the deal done sooner than later. Either way, July 2019 may have just gotten a lot more exciting. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

100% agreement in this. Otherwise Ottawa would be sitting like us with Gomez and Parise. Granted both of those guys were held on to for playoff/hopeful cup runs. Ultimately they got something for a player who was as good as gone. I just think Ottawa ownership and leadership are proving to be incompetent. I feel terribly for the fans, and feel badly for the players

15 minutes ago, jagknife said:

100% agreement in this. Otherwise Ottawa would be sitting like us with Gomez and Parise. Granted both of those guys were held on to for playoff/hopeful cup runs. Ultimately they got something for a player who was as good as gone. I just think Ottawa ownership and leadership are proving to be incompetent. I feel terribly for the fans, and feel badly for the players

I didn’t reference anyone specifically for that reason. But, let’s say Parise hated NJ, his girlfriend had been harassed by the girlfriend of a teammate, he refused to sign an extension, and you knew he was leaving. And it’s September, before you have any idea that you’ll be headed to the Finals. We’ve lost in the quarter finals three years in a row and then failed to make the playoffs the following year. 

Do you maybe consider taking 6-8 prospects/picks for him rather than seeing what happens? 

I think I probably would have. Hard to say in retrospect because we went to the finals, but that was a very unlikely run. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Great, now us fans can have this hanging over our heads...not sure if the discussion warrants its own thread or not so I'll post here. 

https://www.tsn.ca/talent/one-year-from-potential-opt-out-nhl-players-mull-another-work-stoppage-1.1173027

Infuriating that every fvcking sports league on earth can seem to achieve sustained labor peace except the NHL. And the league will be happy to pull this sh!t on us again too, because there are NEVER any consequences for them.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Infuriating that every fvcking sports league on earth can seem to achieve sustained labor peace except the NHL. And the league will be happy to pull this sh!t on us again too, because there are NEVER any consequences for them.

If it happens again I'm 100% not giving the NHL/NHLPA any of my money. I won't buy a single ticket, jersey, pair of socks, whatever. What a joke. 

Edited by NJDevils1214

3 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

If it happens again I'm 100% not giving the NHL/NHLPA any of my money. I won'y buy a single ticket, jersey, pair of socks, whatever. What a joke. 

Everyone will say the exact same thing.... but the minute the lights come back on and the doors are unlocked, the fans will be there just like before.

It doesn't help that Donald Fehr and Gary Bettman have to be two of the least likable asshats on the planet...anytime Bettman starts condescending to us in that wormy little voice of his, I want to start punching things...especially his round lil' Count Chockula face.

For fvcking ONCE, figure sh!t out without killing the game, and stop holding everyone hostage.  a$$holes.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It doesn't help that Donald Fehr and Gary Bettman have to be two of the least likable asshats on the planet...anytime Bettman starts condescending to us in that wormy little voice of his, I want to start punching things...especially his round lil' Count Chockula face.

For fvcking ONCE, figure sh!t out without killing the game, and stop holding everyone hostage.  a$$holes.

For real. I’ve had it. This league averages a lockout every five years. Figure it the fvck out. Everyone involved is already rich beyond belief, enough of this sh!t.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

@amandacstein: 

Andy Greene is the captain. Hall will continue to wear the A.

#NJDevils Taylor Hall: "It's really the first time I've been able to come into a training camp with some team success under my belt and that made for a really exciting off-season."

Nico Hischier calls opportunity to bring Devils to Switzerland a "once in a lifetime opportunity." To play in his native Switzerland, in front of friends, family and against the team he skates with in the summer is a big honour for him.

Nico Hischier feels much more at ease coming into Year 2 than his rookie season. Says he gained about 8 lbs of muscle this season to be faster and stronger. Wants to learn from playing with Hall to “do something every shift.”

Jesper Bratt says he worked on increasing his stamina to be able to handle the 82 game regular season. Wasn’t happy with how his season ended last year.

Also, one random/funny thing from Chris Ryan:

@ChrisRyan_NJ   Andy Greene said new defenseman Egor Yakovlev looks like a "Russian Adam Henrique" so that's how I'll be referring to him from now on.

• Like 6