GDT: Finally Back Home, Penguins @ Devils, 7:00 pm

Colorado Rockies 1976

Great game last night.  Solid 60 minute effort, and pretty much everyone seemed energized and ready to contribute.  

I am gradually becoming more and more impressed with Coleman.  He's always hard on the puck, and he makes good decisions too.  He's going to continue to grow and mature and I was trying to figure out who I see him becoming most like, I don't think he's as skilled as a Zajac type, although their games are similar - I can see him becoming very similar to John Madden.  Tough, can score goals every now and then, and a solid penalty killer.

I didn't expect Zacha to light it up last night and he's not immediately on the hot seat again after not finding the scoresheet in his first game back, but I think what we may be seeing is when this team is scoring, Zacha is fine in the lineup as someone who wins faceoffs, kills penalties, and in general is good with the puck - it's not like he's a liability out there, he just has no finish.  BUT, when this team isn't scoring and/or things are going bad, I think we're going to find that he gets sent down in favor of mixing things up and giving other guys, who can score, a shot at making an impact on the team and the scoresheet.   We all know he's still young and has time to turn it around, but the thing that makes me consider this scenario as a possibility is the fact that it really hasn't mattered who he's paired with for linemates.  Usually when you're given an opportunity to play with several different guys, you'll end up clicking with a couple and develop some chemistry which results in some production.  I just haven't seen that, at all, so I think what we may be seeing is a utility type player in Zacha, one who may be called up or down when needed, rather than a bonafide second line scoring threat that we all hoped and thought he was going to be.  

In regards to the defense, they deserve some credit yesterday.  I saw good puck movement from Vatanen and Butcher, and Severson continues to impress with his scoring touch.  I said it a few days ago, but I'll reiterate that I really could see him as a long-time Devil.  He quietly does a lot of good things.  

Solid game as well but KK - can't really fault him on a PP goal with a pretty miraculous pass that should've been broken up anyway, and the last goal, nothing he can really do when a player goes smashing into him. I assume and hope he gets the start tomorrow - the bigger question is, if he wins tomorrow, does he get both starts this weekend?  I feel like the answer is no, but I kind of want him to.  I know that would be a huge blow to Cory's confidence, it would basically show that the organization doesn't trust him anymore, and he's truly no longer the starter, or that there's even a 50/50 split, but it may be necessary if we continue to win when Kinkaid is in net.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I am gradually becoming more and more impressed with Coleman.  He's always hard on the puck

Hmm, I thought that was Quenneville. 

43002063230_a3fafd7ac5_b.jpg

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Zacha is fine in the lineup as someone who wins faceoffs, kills penalties, and in general is good with the puck - it's not like he's a liability out there, he just has no finish.  BUT, when this team isn't scoring and/or things are going bad, I think we're going to find that he gets sent down in favor of mixing things up and giving other guys, who can score, a shot at making an impact on the team and the scoresheet.  

Uhhh...which guys are those??

23 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Touche.  Not saying we have a lot of them, but someone like Seney has already scored a goal, and Zacha still has 0. 

But Seney is already up...

Plus, as previously discussed, he had no choice based on that amazing pass by Bratt, he had to score. 

45 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Did you actually make a meme about our 22-year-old prospect's buldge?

o no bby wat is u doin.

Of course I did. That's at least the 10th time I have posted it too. Probably the worst thing that ever happened to everyone I know is the day I discovered one can go on a website and make their own memes. I annoy my family constantly. 

So when you're here, you're like family. I'm just waiting to find the right Taylor Hall picture to make you your own, buddy boy. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Good win

Let's not overlook that. We did what we failed to do on the road trip. We were able to maintain control. They scored, we didn't freak out and give up another 5 consecutive goals. We maintained composure, and then Taylor did the rest. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I know, but technically Seney's still in for Zacha. Zacha's only back because Boyle got hurt, which goes back to my point about Zacha being a utility man and possibly being used only in these types of situations.

Plus, as previously discussed, he had no choice based on that amazing pass by Bratt, he had to score. 

It would have been hard to fvck that up indeed, but alas, Zacha has managed to do it in the past.  He's been set up equally as nice on a few occasions, only to come up disappointed.

12 hours ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

This win was the best win until the next win. 

Zajac’s my fvcking guy, by the way. Have his jersey, always support him like hell. And if you don’t support him at his 2015 Zajac, you don’t deserve him at his 2018 Zajac.

I have three of his GWs, including his Brodeur Night and Elias Night retirement jerseys.  He's one of those guys who's just very easy to root for...and one you kept hoping might enjoy one or two more surprisingly productive years (right now I see him as a 40-45 point guy as long as he plays in 75+ games).  Obviously the "right place, right time" goals and over 30% shooting will slow down, but it's still great to see him just finding ways to keep getting on the scoresheet.

If he can stay healthy, by season's end he should be within 100 games of 1000 regular season GP as a Devil...he needs 143 total to reach 1000.  Only two skaters have played in that many as Devils:  Daneyko (1283) and Elias (1240)...Marty has 1259.  Travis is also coming up on 500 points...he needs 26 more.  Would love to see him crack 50 points this year...this hot start has given him a shot at it, as long as he doesn't miss many games. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Of course I did. That's at least the 10th time I have posted it too. Probably the worst thing that ever happened to everyone I know is the day I discovered one can go on a website and make their own memes. I annoy my family constantly. 

So when you're here, you're like family. I'm just waiting to find the right Taylor Hall picture to make you your own, buddy boy. 

Memes are life.

4 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I am gradually becoming more and more impressed with Coleman.  He's always hard on the puck, and he makes good decisions too.  He's going to continue to grow and mature and I was trying to figure out who I see him becoming most like, I don't think he's as skilled as a Zajac type, although their games are similar - I can see him becoming very similar to John Madden.  Tough, can score goals every now and then, and a solid penalty killer.

I said the same thing regarding Coleman to my brothers just about a week ago, there's a lot of parts to his game that are very Madden-esque and I think he could be a staple in our bottom 6 and be our top penalty killer for a very long time. It's also kind of crazy to think how long he's actually been in the organization, we drafted this guy almost 8 years ago and now he's looking to be a big part of our team the way he's playing. Love me some Blake Coleman.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

I said the same thing regarding Coleman to my brothers just about a week ago, there's a lot of parts to his game that are very Madden-esque and I think he could be a staple in our bottom 6 and be our top penalty killer for a very long time. It's also kind of crazy to think how long he's actually been in the organization, we drafted this guy almost 8 years ago and now he's looking to be a big part of our team the way he's playing. Love me some Blake Coleman.

Totally agree.  A year or two ago I was unsure what exactly he brought to us and how he would fit in - saw him mostly as a fringe 4th line player - but he's really grown and evolved his role with the team, and I think you're right, I can see him being a core part of the team for a while.  

Also had no idea we drafted him 8 years ago. He's about to turn 27, but I can still see him sticking around for another 7 years pretty easily.  

• Like 5

He's ridiculous on the PK. Maybe not in a Madden kind of way, because with Madden you felt like there was a legitimate chance he was going to score every time. 

With Coleman, the possibility is there, but its more like he's going to annoy the fvck out of you in your own zone and eat up all of your power play time. 

Love that guy. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I have three of his GWs, including his Brodeur Night and Elias Night retirement jerseys.  He's one of those guys who's just very easy to root for...and one you kept hoping might enjoy one or two more surprisingly productive years (right now I see him as a 40-45 point guy as long as he plays in 75+ games).  Obviously the "right place, right time" goals and over 30% shooting will slow down, but it's still great to see him just finding ways to keep getting on the scoresheet.

If he can stay healthy, by season's end he should be within 100 games of 1000 regular season GP as a Devil...he needs 143 total to reach 1000.  Only two skaters have played in that many as Devils:  Daneyko (1283) and Elias (1240)...Marty has 1259.  Travis is also coming up on 500 points...he needs 26 more.  Would love to see him crack 50 points this year...this hot start has given him a shot at it, as long as he doesn't miss many games. 

Guy is in his 13th NHL season as well.  Can't believe it has been that long as well.  He has largely been healthy as well only missing significant time in 11-12 from his achilles tendon and last season with his pectoral tear.

If he hits 500 points, he will be 4th all-time in Devils points leaders, only behind Elias, MacLean and Muller.  After hitting 500 he will only need 21 more to move ahead of Muller for 3rd all-time.

• Like 1

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

Guy is in his 13th NHL season as well.  Can't believe it has been that long as well.  He has largely been healthy as well only missing significant time in 11-12 from his achilles tendon and last season with his pectoral tear.

If he hits 500 points, he will be 4th all-time in Devils points leaders, only behind Elias, MacLean and Muller.  After hitting 500 he will only need 21 more to move ahead of Muller for 3rd all-time.

I'd love to give him a very slight chance to pass MacLean at 701, but it just seems like it's impossible.  Shero would have to re-sign him after his current deal is up at the end of the 2020-21 season (he'd be back at a discount rate...he'll be 36 by then)...I probably can't assume more than 110 points from him between now and then.  He'd still need 118 more (assuming 110) to pass Mac.  Right now Zajac trails MacLean by 227 points. 

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'd love to give him a very slight chance to pass MacLean at 701, but it just seems like it's impossible.  Shero would have to re-sign him after his current deal is up at the end of the 2020-21 season (he'd be back at a discount rate...he'll be 36 by then)...I probably can't assume more than 110 points from him between now and then.  He'd still need 118 more (assuming 110) to pass Mac.  Right now Zajac trails MacLean by 227 points. 

Yeah I think he stalls out at 3rd all-time, which is still a huge achievement.  I think putting up almost another half of his career's worth of points for the rest of the way is a little too much considering his age and his most recent outputs.  Unless he has a 60-70 point season this year and another one of those before his contract expires (which I extremely doubt would happen) it just seems out of reach.

Also, he is right now 3 points away from passing Nieds for 5th all time and 11 points from passing Gomez (!) for 4th all time.  I keep forgetting that Gomez did play about 7-8 seasons here and that he did put up good numbers in most of them.

The Zacha hate is getting out of control lately. I thought he had a fine game yesterday, and was pretty involved on offense, despite not recording a goal or assist. He seems to be the fanbase's new Zajac. I think his defensive game is being overlooked. Let's remember that this is the first game in a week that we didn't get blown out.

On the Zacha line, I thought MoJo was least impressive. In addition to playing carelessly and at times seeming uninterested, he doesn't seem to be choosing the right plays to make in the offensive zone. Although Wood hasn't been great lately either, I wouldn't mind having Hynes put him in MoJo's place for a couple of games to see how he does. Wood and Zacha have done well together in the past, and I think Bratt could elevate both players' game.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, nessus said:

The Zacha hate is getting out of control lately. I thought he had a fine game yesterday, and was pretty involved on offense, despite not recording a goal or assist. He seems to be the fanbase's new Zajac. I think his defensive game is being overlooked. Let's remember that this is the first game in a week that we didn't get blown out.

On the Zacha line, I thought MoJo was least impressive. In addition to playing carelessly and at times seeming uninterested, he doesn't seem to be choosing the right plays to make in the offensive zone. Although Wood hasn't been great lately either, I wouldn't mind having Hynes put him in MoJo's place for a couple of games to see how he does. Wood and Zacha have done well together in the past, and I think Bratt could elevate both players' game.

I actually haven't seen much animosity towards Zacha since the last game - then again, I don't check FB or /r/Devils very often.

He looked okay, I thought.  Not going to kill him for efforts like that.

That said, still must see some production soon.