2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

Ha I gave my Kovy jersey to goodwill. I’ve given away a bunch of jerseys over the years (I’m too lazy to bother trying to sell them). Just replicas though. My Hall is an actual authentic Canadian made Edge 2.0 so I’m definitely not giving it away if he leaves. I’ll probably send it to EPS and have it stripped and done up with someone else if it comes to that. Only problem is the options are obviously limited because of the switch to the new ones. Would have to be a player from between what 2007-2017? And I already have both Brodeur and Elias.

Hopefully Hall will re-sign and it won’t be an issue...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Ha I gave my Kovy jersey to goodwill. I’ve given away a bunch of jerseys over the years (I’m too lazy to bother trying to sell them). Just replicas though. My Hall is an actual authentic Canadian made Edge 2.0 so I’m definitely not giving it away if he leaves. I’ll probably send it to EPS and have it stripped and done up with someone else if it comes to that. Only problem is the options are obviously limited because of the switch to the new ones. Would have to be a player from between what 2007-2017? And I already have both Brodeur and Elias.

Hopefully Hall will re-sign and it won’t be an issue...

Palms would be a good option..... but yeah, hopefully it won’t come to that lol.

Edited by MadDog2020

15 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Could also go Zajac, based on longevity alone. Or do a Zacha rookie jersey so I can make fun of you...almost. 

How cool would it be to have a Zacha numbered jersey with the name plate Almost!

Edited by titans04
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, jagknife said:

We have a saying at my job, “Manchester”, where if someone calls it on you, no matter how outlandish the statement is, you have to do the action you said you would, otherwise you get kicked in the junk. You both are so close to qualifying... haha 

Wearing out an anti-Zacha meme is kind of my thing. I’m not scared. 

So, maybe not the place to post this but we don't have a roster discussion thread yet, but.. is there a way we can fill out this roster to meet the cap floor without adding another player?

Capfriendly says we're just about 2M shy of the cap floor.

Edit: Nevermind, Butcher's extension will put us above the floor on its own.  Plus we'll have Mueller's (meh) and Zacha's extensions.  We good.

Edited by Devilsfan118

8 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So, maybe not the place to post this but we don't have a roster discussion thread yet, but.. is there a way we can fill out this roster to meet the cap floor without adding another player?

Capfriendly says we're just about 2M shy of the cap floor.

Edit: Nevermind, Butcher's extension will put us above the floor on its own.  Plus we'll have Mueller's (meh) and Zacha's extensions.  We good.

I’m not sure that barely making the cap floor constitutes being “good”.

15 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Hall obviously will be getting big money if he sticks around, and then Nico and Bratt will get sizable raises after next season; in two years, we'll see if Palms is willing to take a hometown discount to stick around...I like Palms at $4.65 million per season a lot, but not sure how much I'll like an emerging-from-his-peak Palms at $7 - 8 million for five more seasons (if he decides he wants top dollar for his services).  And of course, if Hughes becomes what many seem to think that he can, he could be getting serious coin immediately after his entry-level deal runs out.  I know the feeling is that the Devils have endless amounts of cap room, but it's going to get eaten into faster than we think. 

Hopefully the next wave of youngins (LEGIT youngins, not Q and Lappin types) can provide some cheap labor for a while.  Otherwise that means having to try to fill needs via UFA...where the overpayments are.  Neb00rs (who I think has been beyond dead-on with much of what he's posted about the Devils and the cap) and Tri (in one of his posts) alluded to how easy it is to start getting top-heavy, and very quickly and suddenly you don't have a whole lot of money left for the other 15 or so guys on your team...Neb00rs also correctly pointed out that if you DO have to go UFA shopping, how the money that we all bank on coming off the cap can easily come right back through a new player's hit.   I think once you put together a contending team, it's clearly very difficult to fully avoid cap issues or being top-heavy (the only way around is to keep hitting on your draft picks, or find undrafted players/hidden gems), but I do like the fact that Shero is trying not to get to that point too early in his rebuild. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

27 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I mean, good as far as being within the cap limits.

I think it's clear this team still needs a top-6 RW and some help on D.

5 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Is it me or did free agency just suddenly die an absolute death? 

I think Shero's got an umbrella over a few trade scenarios and once one domino drops, we'll have a move to announce. Can't help but think we're right in some weird triangle or hexagon that involves either Gusev, Marner, or Laine, and a few different teams; something's gotta give, and once it does, Shero is probably positioned to pick up the pieces. Just the feeling I get given the almost certainty Devils and NHL social media were hinting at about Devils "not being done", it's like they know one big move or another is going to be made no matter what, just a matter of which one.

Edited by DJ Eco

11 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

I think Shero's got an umbrella over a few trade scenarios and once one domino drops, we'll have a move to announce. Can't help but think we're right in some weird triangle or hexagon that involves either Gusev, Marner, or Laine, and a few different teams; something's gotta give, and once it does, Shero is probably positioned to pick up the pieces. Just the feeling I get given the almost certainty Devils and NHL social media were hinting at about Devils "not being done", it's like they know one big move or another is going to be made no matter what, just a matter of which one.

Gusev seems more likely, assuming he's willing to come over. If we wind up with either Marner or Laine, I'll be shocked. 

2 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Definitely seems like the pending RFAs are holding "round 2" of free agency up - probably lots of teams stuck until these guys make decisions.

Generally I go into the offseason assuming all of the RFA's will end up returning to their team, because that's usually what happens. They find some way to work it out. 

The longer these guys go without a deal falling into place, the more I start to feel like maybe it's possible their teams just cannot or will not work out a deal that is to their satisfaction. 

Of course I will end up disappointed, but its a nice feeling while it lasts. 

2 hours ago, DJ Eco said:

Oh For sure, but what I meant was did anyone else feel like this year there was far less activity in the secondary market after day one? 

You would get at least two solid days of people being picked up . I mean I don't think a few years back people like Jake Gardiner are making this far into the free agency period unsigned. 

But this could all just be my perception. 

6 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Oh For sure, but what I meant was did anyone else feel like this year there was far less activity in the secondary market after day one? 

You would get at least two solid days of people being picked up . I mean I don't think a few years back people like Jake Gardiner are making this far into the free agency period unsigned. 

But this could all just be my perception. 

A thousand percent, there were like 2-3 deals signed after the first day that were of any importance. Tons of guys still hanging around without contracts, and I feel like its more so this year than in previous years. 

The glut of unsigned RFA's could be part of it, as I said above, maybe the teams really DON'T have a way to sign some of those guys. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That being said, early reports indicate Ferland has signed with Vancouver for 4 years. 

3.5M x 4 years, not bad.  A bit long imo for a guy who can't stay healthy.

I always think of his wicked hit on MarJo:

Edited by Devilsfan118