Prospects Thread - 2019-2020 Season

nessus

8 hours ago, Guadana said:

Bing win against pens 6-4. Boqvist scored twice and our kakko scored once. Now he has 3+3 in 4 games for us.

Kuokkanen looks like he really could be something.

Boqvist has scored 7 goals through 16 games in Binghamton. Maybe he can develop into that goal scorer we have been needing at the NHL level.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Guadana said:

Bing win against pens 6-4. Boqvist scored twice and our kakko scored once. Now he has 3+3 in 4 games for us.

Canes fans are probably so pissed right now. Kuokkanen has been lighting it up since coming over, and Vatanen might not play a single game for them at this point...

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Canes fans are probably so pissed right now. Kuokkanen has been lighting it up since coming over, and Vatanen might not play a single game for them at this point...

And still NJDevs members will think we didn’t get enough for Sami...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

And still NJDevs members will think we didn’t get enough for Sami...

No, they'll wait til he has a crap game, then piss & moan Fitz should be tarred/feathered

7 hours ago, nessus said:

Kuokkanen looks like he really could be something.

Boqvist has scored 7 goals through 16 games in Binghamton. Maybe he can develop into that goal scorer we have been needing at the NHL level.

we have so much plants to grow but dont have good soil

4 hours ago, Lateralous said:

This mock draft site has us taking two more Ottawa 67s.  I realize some of there guys won’t be on the 67s next year but retroactively that would have to be a record for prospects on one CHL team you would think

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

Not sure how I feel about missing out on a guy like Raymond but Rossi looks like he could potentially be another elite high IQ playmaking center. NJ needs some wings and Dmen to work out.

51 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I hadn’t realized Bing is on this much of a terror...

24-7-0 since 12/27.  That includes 1-0 in OT and 5-0 in shootouts.  They’re on a hell of a roll.  

9 hours ago, Lateralous said:

This mock draft site has us taking two more Ottawa 67s.  I realize some of there guys won’t be on the 67s next year but retroactively that would have to be a record for prospects on one CHL team you would think

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

The Devils would be really fortunate to draft Rossi. It seems like the only knock on him is his size, but when you watch clips, he doesn't play small at all. There are so many things to like about his game, and he's really beating up the OHL, even if he is on a really good team. Even if you're picking 3rd overall, a case could be made to take Rossi there. Hopefully some teams will worry about his size, but I have a feeling he'll be gone before the Devils pick. Quinn would be an awesome addition too, and more closely fits the mold of what the team is lacking now, a true goal scorer - even if he doesn't have the size. Sanderson is someone I'm not sold on yet. He looks like a really good player with great shutdown abilities, but you wonder if there's someone else who may be available at around 10 who has higher upside. 

Regardless, if those are the three players that the Devils take in the first round, it'll be a major success.

11 minutes ago, nessus said:

The Devils would be really fortunate to draft Rossi. It seems like the only knock on him is his size, but when you watch clips, he doesn't play small at all. There are so many things to like about his game, and he's really beating up the OHL, even if he is on a really good team. Even if you're picking 3rd overall, a case could be made to take Rossi there. Hopefully some teams will worry about his size, but I have a feeling he'll be gone before the Devils pick. Quinn would be an awesome addition too, and more closely fits the mold of what the team is lacking now, a true goal scorer - even if he doesn't have the size. Sanderson is someone I'm not sold on yet. He looks like a really good player with great shutdown abilities, but you wonder if there's someone else who may be available at around 10 who has higher upside. 

Regardless, if those are the three players that the Devils take in the first round, it'll be a major success.

Phonex arizonix have only 6 more points than us and we have game in the hand. Stranger things can happen in draft day. i`m little bit scary for hall luck on draft day, and i dont really want to devils have some chances to draft byfield.

8 minutes ago, nessus said:

What are your thoughts on taking Askarov with our 3rd pick if he’s the BPA? Mac certainly looks like he’s going to be a true #1, but I remember being really impressed with Askarov in the U18 last year. 

3 hours ago, Guadana said:

devs win 3-0 against pens. one step closer to playoff

They might even make a big dent in the playoffs. Fitz has to keep them in tact

7 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

They might even make a big dent in the playoffs. Fitz has to keep them in tact

Senators is a strong team. Few years ago we wait  for more but Toronto win in 7game. 
but - can we sent down to the bing someone like Hughes? It could be game changer move.

edit - he can’t. “Needing to be on the AHL roster on nhl deadline day to be eligible for the AHL playoff”. Damn

Edited by Guadana

4 hours ago, Guadana said:

Senators is a strong team. Few years ago we wait  for more but Toronto win in 7game. 
but - can we sent down to the bing someone like Hughes? It could be game changer move.

edit - he can’t. “Needing to be on the AHL roster on nhl deadline day to be eligible for the AHL playoff”. Damn

I don't think Anderson is eligible to play too.

17 hours ago, Guadana said:

Phonex arizonix have only 6 more points than us and we have game in the hand. Stranger things can happen in draft day. i`m little bit scary for hall luck on draft day, and i dont really want to devils have some chances to draft byfield.

Are you not a fan of Byfield?

17 hours ago, Nicomo said:

What are your thoughts on taking Askarov with our 3rd pick if he’s the BPA? Mac certainly looks like he’s going to be a true #1, but I remember being really impressed with Askarov in the U18 last year. 

I'm in two minds about it with Askarov. On one hand, there's a huge bust potential with goalies, and even if you get him at pick 20, there are still some really solid choices that are going to be available at that point in the draft. Typically, I have felt that taking a goalie in the first round is not the best bet. On the other hand, I think goaltender remains an organizational need. Other than Blackwood, I'm not sure any of the goalies in the Devils' system have shown that they're NHL quality yet. Plus, Askarov isn't just your run of the mill first round talent, like Malcolm Subban or Zach Fucale were. Scouts are comparing him more to a Carey Price-level prospect.  If the Devils are picking 3 times in the first round, maybe they could afford to gamble on one of them, especially if that pick is the third of the three.

At the end of the day, I'm leaning towards not taking him, mostly because of how deep this draft looks. But also, it's hard for me to base my opinion on anything other than what scouts are saying. By watching video, I can't tell if he's actually a future top goalie in the league or if he's Thatcher Demko.

1 hour ago, nessus said:

Are you not a fan of Byfield?

I think that Byfild has big difference with his opponents in his league because of his size. Its good that he is one o fthe biggest guy in OHL but its not good for developing competition. There are not so much big and skill defensmen in ohl, usually they are big or skill, or small and  awkward in the same time. This difference fade away in NHL and he still may be good interesting player but there is more chances that he will not stand out in nhl like he is in childrens league. 

On 3/5/2020 at 10:08 AM, CommonDreads said:

Smith I think is ready to jump into the NHL next season – I honestly thought he was ready this year, just had a rocky start in preseason but I think he would have stabilized.

Bahl I'm inclined to believe could use a little more seasoning in the AHL. Give him a little time to get used to a quicker pace and stronger competition; he may even be ready for a midseason call-up next year but I think he needs a little AHL time.

Okhotyuk I still think needs more time. His decisions aren't as sharp as Smith's or Bahl's so I think he would benefit from playing top minutes in the OHL next year and then could use a season or two in the AHL first. I love his mobility and physicality, but I think he needs a lot more time to marinate and work on his decision making.

I am asking because I am ignorant as to the reasons, but why not bring up Smith now?  It seemed like nerves were a major issue for him in camp, right?  So let him have the remainder of the season to get up to speed in the NHL and work thru his nerves.  What’s he gonna do, cost us a game?  Great!  Anything that gives him time in the show AND pushes the Devils toward a higher draft pick sounds like a win/win to me.  If we were on the bubble of a playoff spot I would get leaving him, but the only thing this team is competing for is draft ranking.  So what am I missing?

Edited by AEWHistory