Zajac Turns Down Trade Scenario

titans04

1 hour ago, Guadana said:

Devils organization need to give loyalty contracts to Zajac and Green, first of all because there are to many our possibility future all time devs who must know and understand that it is interesting for them to be loyalty all time devs.

No thanks on Greene. Need to move on from both him and Cory. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Guadana said:

Devils organization need to give loyalty contracts to Zajac and Green, first of all because there are to many our possibility future all time devs who must know and understand that it is interesting for them to be loyalty all time devs.

We dont have the luxury to reward people for longevity. We need talent on the ice. This isn't a nursing home. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Guadana said:

Wow man slow down. He is our captain.

anyway we have no option. We still need him in pk.

Just look at the difference in Nico’s game after Hall left, he needs to feel like it’s his team moving forward. And for that to happen he needs the C on his jersey. 

Thanks for a very solid career Andy, but enjoy your retirement (or playing somewhere else). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guadana said:

Wow man slow down. He is our captain.

anyway we have no option. We still need him in pk.

Ever worked with a person who was promoted to a position he wasn't qualified for simply because of his tenure with the company?

That's what Greene is, to me, as far as him being a captain for this team.

Looking forward to the end of his 'era' here.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

No thanks on Greene. Need to move on from both him and Cory. 

Yeah, nothing against Greene, probably played more games and lasted longer than anyone really could've expected.  But I don't need to see the Devils sign up for Greene's age 38 (and possibly age 39) seasons.  Also would love to see Nico wearing the C next year.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, nothing against Greene, probably played more games and lasted longer than anyone really could've expected.  But I don't need to see the Devils sign up for Greene's age 38 (and possibly age 39) seasons.  Also would love to see Nico wearing the C next year.  

As much as I want Nico to be captain, with Vatanen likely headed out the door and everyone ready to drop Severson , Greene may be a necessity at least next season. Someone has to actually be out on the ice. I have high hopes for Bahl and Smith but they can't jump in and take 25 minutes a night off the bat

Edit: I was really hoping Butcher would take a big step this year to becoming what Greene once was, an all situations guy

Edited by Devil Dan 56

2 hours ago, slasher72 said:

We dont have the luxury to reward people for longevity. We need talent on the ice. This isn't a nursing home. 

Haha well said. I would prefer they move on across the board. It's time for a new identity. This one has run its course. 

49 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Haha well said. I would prefer they move on across the board. It's time for a new identity. This one has run its course. 

IF you re moving on, that's one thing. We were discussing whether their longevity gets them a little extra in the paycheck if they do opt to re-sign them. I think they do. I don't think you take a guy like Travis Zajac, say thanks for your service, here's a 1 year, 2 million dollar contract. That's not how you treat guys who not only were valued but who also valued playing for your organization and actually want to be there. This is especially true where you just gave Wayne Simmonds at less than half capacity $5m, and a higher value deal (higher than $2m, not what Travis makes now) has zero cap implications. 

Now, if you ask me about Andy Greene, I would say the same thing. IF they want to bring him back. The difference is, I wouldn't mind having Zajac back in his 3rd/4th line role, whereas I think Andy should probably retire, we should name a new captain, and we should bring up some new defensemen. I for one would be happy to see Smith, Bahl and Okhotyuk competing to make the team out of camp next year than putting another team on the ice with Greene, Mueller, and Carrrick.

• Like 2

meh, there were multiple discussion points in this thread.  Imo they have to do what's best for the org without any sentimental interference.  I get Travis has the NTC and he's earned it.  However, if between now and next years trade deadline if the Devils receive an offer that the GM feels makes them better they need to approach him again. He most certainly may say no but they need to pursue every avenue to improve the roster. I don't think he brings all that much on the ice so replacing that level of production should be possible.  His production at this point in his career is that of a ELC level player. So trading off an old piece for a new one that should be on the upswing is a no-brainer to me.  

Now the more likely scenario is he rides out his contract because he's earned the NTC. However and the end of the deal I still shake his hand and wish him luck. I just have zero interest in him passing Dano, those things have just never held any value to me.  Especially when I don't think he brings much these days and odds are even less after next season.  Thank you for your service Travis.

58 minutes ago, titans04 said:

meh, there were multiple discussion points in this thread.  Imo they have to do what's best for the org without any sentimental interference.  I get Travis has the NTC and he's earned it.  However, if between now and next years trade deadline if the Devils receive an offer that the GM feels makes them better they need to approach him again. He most certainly may say no but they need to pursue every avenue to improve the roster. I don't think he brings all that much on the ice so replacing that level of production should be possible.  His production at this point in his career is that of a ELC level player. So trading off an old piece for a new one that should be on the upswing is a no-brainer to me.  

Now the more likely scenario is he rides out his contract because he's earned the NTC. However and the end of the deal I still shake his hand and wish him luck. I just have zero interest in him passing Dano, those things have just never held any value to me.  Especially when I don't think he brings much these days and odds are even less after next season.  Thank you for your service Travis.

I don't have a problem with that either. Everything I said was premised upon bringing him back. I think he's serviceable, I mean the guy had 19 goals and 46 points a year ago. If you can get that from a 4th line center you should be elated. 

That said, out with the old, in with the new probably makes a lot of sense on many levels with this team. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Ever worked with a person who was promoted to a position he wasn't qualified for simply because of his tenure with the company?

That's what Greene is, to me, as far as him being a captain for this team.

Looking forward to the end of his 'era' here.

In discussing captaincy I rarely find people know most of the responsibilities of being a Captain.  Curious to hear who you think should be Captain and why....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, titans04 said:

It's easy to just look at point production and say he's easily replaced, but his major contribution isn't points. The idea of throwing a bunch of young guys together is appealing but it's not realistic. 

Right it's not all about points, but after this deal he'll have about 12 out of 15 year career here where it wasn't about points.  You could probably split hairs on another season or two, whatever.  Point being I think those kind of players have to have an end of the rope at some point and to me worst case assuming he holds onto the NTC (again certainly has earned that) that rope ends after this contract. I mean to me there's only so much good will in the locker room. Yeah I would much prefer to take a shot at a younger player in that good will, good face off/pk guy slot, rather than rolling him out there for year 16 @ 36/37 years old. Where the main reason to watch the guy is to see if he catches Dano. No thank you.

1 hour ago, titans04 said:

Right it's not all about points, but after this deal he'll have about 12 out of 15 year career here where it wasn't about points.  You could probably split hairs on another season or two, whatever.  Point being I think those kind of players have to have an end of the rope at some point and to me worst case assuming he holds onto the NTC (again certainly has earned that) that rope ends after this contract. I mean to me there's only so much good will in the locker room. Yeah I would much prefer to take a shot at a younger player in that good will, good face off/pk guy slot, rather than rolling him out there for year 16 @ 36/37 years old. Where the main reason to watch the guy is to see if he catches Dano. No thank you.

Well, I’ve been saying that about him for years. He never should’ve been a top line center, despite some success there for two years with Parise on his wing. If you want to argue he’s not worth his current contract because he never put up points, that’s a better argument. 

And again, we were talking about what he’s worth if we do keep him. I don’t think there’s anyone who would insist he HAS to be here, if they want to part ways, I can’t imagine anyone would object at this point. 

Also, the concept that anyone would even for a second consider giving him a contract so he can pursue Daneyko’s record is absurd. That’s another good example of something people on this board say that has no basis in reality, but then people keep repeating it. Team management doesn’t give a sh!t if he breaks a games played record. 

• Like 2