The Weird 2020 Off-Season Thread

jagknife

8 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Oh that's a brutal one. From the fact those clowns actually won, to Ron Rivera going for the win to "let his guys learn how to win," I'd hate to be your friend in this case.

Anyone pick up the new NHL video game?

I'm trying to take this year off.  I'm a sucker and buy it every year no matter how little they fvcking change.

I'm sure I'll get it in a month or something when it's $40.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Crisis said:

I'm trying to take this year off.  I'm a sucker and buy it every year no matter how little they fvcking change.

I'm done supporting EA's sad attempt at an NHL game. It's literally been re-skinned every year since NHL07.  I miss the old 2K games. I remember I made a custom pack of stadium music that you could store on your xbox storage and customize your in-game PA. I recreated the real-life intro music, even added Kevin Clark to some tracks. I would literally go to games and record audio and upload it into the game. It was fvcking awesome. 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I'm done supporting EA's sad attempt at an NHL game. It's literally been re-skinned every year since NHL07.  I miss the old 2K games. I remember I made a custom pack of stadium music that you could store on your xbox storage and customize your in-game PA. I recreated the real-life intro music, even added Kevin Clark to some tracks. I would literally go to games and record audio and upload it into the game. It was fvcking awesome. 

If you uploaded that here, I thank you. I remember having all of that on one of the old xbox360 versions. I went and added every single teams' correct goal horn and music too. And then the new generations took away the option 😠

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

1 hour ago, Crisis said:

NHL 14 had that too and my god was that amazing to be able to add all of that customization into the game and the ability to have the roster files others did work for to have prospects in the game without having to do it yourself.

21 is the first i've bought in a while, its pretty fun for now. Franchise mode is fun but bugged already. Biggest headaches so far are with amateur scouting and the new trade deadline mini game is garbage.

18 hours ago, Nicomo said:

My NFL team blew a 21 point lead, so I’m currently in a I hate sports mood. 

I have no complaints (this was going to happen eventually), but the Pats right now are about where Lou's teams were near the end.  The core (especially on offense) is borderline non-existent.  They tried to piece together another year of relevance by signing Cam Newton.  I understand why...he was available for very cheap, and the D is still solid.  But it's time to strip things back and try to rebuild.  Cam should be a one-year experiment, then it's time to tear it down.  

Yeah football just feels...weird.  Usually I'm a "OK, don't bug me from about 1:00 to whenever" kind of guy on Sundays.  Much less so this year.  Due to the current environment, I'm struggling to feel my usual level of enthusiasm for a lot of things.  I feel like I need some Devils hockey more than ever at the moment...even though not much points to this upcoming season being a particularly good one for them.  

56 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I have no complaints (this was going to happen eventually), but the Pats right now are about where Lou's teams were near the end.  The core (especially on offense) is borderline non-existent.  They tried to piece together another year of relevance by signing Cam Newton.  I understand why...he was available for very cheap, and the D is still solid.  But it's time to strip things back and try to rebuild.  Cam should be a one-year experiment, then it's time to tear it down.  

Yeah football just feels...weird.  Usually I'm a "OK, don't bug me from about 1:00 to whenever" kind of guy on Sundays.  Much less so this year.  Due to the current environment, I'm struggling to feel my usual level of enthusiasm for a lot of things.  I feel like I need some Devils hockey more than ever at the moment...even though not much points to this upcoming season being a particularly good one for them.  

As a Jets fan, please accept my humblest condolences haha. No seriously, I totally get the feeling. I've been doing my fantasy football and pick leagues but it's just not the same at the moment. Knowing that we probably won't have a full prudential center until October 2021 really is a bummer. 

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

If you uploaded that here, I thank you. I remember having all of that on one of the old xbox360 versions. I went and added every single teams' correct goal horn and music too. And then the new generations took away the option 😠

it took me probably over 100+ hours to compile all that for the megaupload link. Glad you appreciated it

3 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I was a 2K guy.  Played the CRAP out of 2K5...several full seasons.  I had one season where I faced the Sharks in the SCF, and actually trailed in the series 3-1.  Came back to win in seven.  The AI could be kind of kooky, in that you could almost tell that the computer would decide there were games that you just weren't going to win (also could be that I really wasn't that great at it, compared to others).  Wish I had done what you did (and added the horns and proper music), but I'm not the most technical guy on the planet (when it comes to that stuff, anyway).  

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I was a 2K guy.  Played the CRAP out of 2K5...several full seasons.  I had one season where I faced the Sharks in the SCF, and actually trailed in the series 3-1.  Came back to win in seven.  The AI could be kind of kooky, in that you could almost tell that the computer would decide there were games that you just weren't going to win (also could be that I really wasn't that great at it, compared to others).  Wish I had done what you did (and added the horns and proper music), but I'm not the most technical guy on the planet (when it comes to that stuff, anyway).  

This is why i can't play those games too much.

You'd make a crazy play pulling all the way to one side passing across the crease for an empty net one timer and somehow mid 2000s Garth Snow would rob you blind. Just to see moments later Trent Hunter score on Brodeur from an unscreened wrister from the blue line.

i'd see red.

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

You'd make a crazy play pulling all the way to one side passing across the crease for an empty net one timer and somehow mid 2000s Garth Snow would rob you blind. Just to see moments later Trent Hunter score on Brodeur from an unscreened wrister from the blue line.

i'd see red.

Lmao there were games where I definitely lost my sh!t, big time.

Game 3 of that series I was talking about, I was up 2-0 about 5 mins into the first, and had dominated just about all of the first two periods, but then Nobokov was stopping EVERYTHING (to an absurd degree).  Then Marty gives up a ridiculous softie to make it 2-1 less than a minute into the third, and suddenly the Sharks seem to snuff out everything I’m doing.  I eventually lost 3-2 in OT.  I was PISSED.  It definitely felt very cheap.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

i'd see red.

11 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Lmao there were games where I definitely lost my sh!t, big time.

Game 3 of that series I was talking about, I was up 2-0 about 5 mins into the first, and had dominated just about all of the first two periods, but then Nobokov was stopping EVERYTHING (to an absurd degree).  Then Marty gives up a ridiculous softie to make it 2-1 less than a minute into the third, and suddenly the Sharks seem to snuff out everything I’m doing.  I eventually lost 3-2 in OT.  I was PISSED.  It definitely felt very cheap.

These examples were me yesterday, Conference finals against Toronto and Crawford gives up 4 & 5 goals in the first two games, my team cannot score at all. Matthews became this unhittable beast that scored on every shot he took, no matter how covered or if he was hit doing it. Also Jack got tossed for an interference major from an offensive zone hit on Brodie, then Nico breaks his leg with a hit from behind no call. I called it a day after that, gonna be real fun to try and come back in that series...

14 minutes ago, jagknife said:

These examples were me yesterday, Conference finals against Toronto and Crawford gives up 4 & 5 goals in the first two games, my team cannot score at all. Matthews became this unhittable beast that scored on every shot he took, no matter how covered or if he was hit doing it. Also Jack got tossed for an interference major from an offensive zone hit on Brodie, then Nico breaks his leg with a hit from behind no call. I called it a day after that, gonna be real fun to try and come back in that series...

On more than a few occasions I got "Why do you play that so much when it makes you so angry?" from my wife.  Considering that I did smash a couple of controllers having played 2K5, she kinda has a point...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sports games got infinitely worse after EA bought Take2 Interactive or whatever. Thats what happens when there is no competition in a market. Even the EA games used to be a lot better to rival the depth of features 2K was bringing to the table with the Crib(NFL) , coaching strategy, and all the in-game immersive elements. One EA had no competition they really dialed it back. 

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

On more than a few occasions I got "Why do you play that so much when it makes you so angry?" from my wife.  Considering that I did smash a couple of controllers having played 2K5, she kinda has a point...

My friend down here in TX got me an NHL game when I moved because he knows I like them but I am a PC gamer so I can't play them. He asks me all the time why I play it when it only gets me pissed off lol. 

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The fact that you guys remember specific details of video game wins/losses is amazing. 

Greatly appreciate the rather diplomatic use of the word "amazing".

That details of that Devils-Sharks SCF series have always stuck in my head...mostly because I had to come back to win it.  I had three consecutive sweeps to reach the finals (over Atlanta, Washington, and Tampa Bay).  SJ won Game 1 by a score of 3-1 (they had a 2-0 lead until well into the third period, then I scored to make it 2-1, then they scored immediately afterwards)...I remember thinking, "All right, here we go then." 

I won Game 2 7-0, was up in Game 3 2-0, only to lose in OT 3-2 (the game that I detailed before).  Lost Game 3 4-0 (hate to sound whiny, but that was one game that it REALLY felt like the computer was saying "Nope, you ain't winning, doesn't matter what you do"...I was tempted to shut the game off in frustration, but said screw it., I'll beat the fvckers in the next three...I was down 3-1 in games at that point).  I then had a 4-1 lead in Game 5 through two periods, and some more infuriating AI voodoo led to the Sharks tying the game 4-4 to send it into OT...Brodeur made a bunch of huge saves for me (I swear in 2K5 the computer-controlled opponent gets an occasional speed boost out of nowhere...the way that game was going, I was sure I was going to lose the series in five), then I got a 2-on-1 the other way and ripped the OT winner.  Game 6 was 1-1 over halfway into the third (we traded early first-period goals), then I was able to fake out everyone with Elias, who scored the game-winner for a 2-1 win.  Game 7 was 1-0 Devils after two periods...about halfway through the third, I scored two quickies to make it 3-0...SJ scored to make it 3-1, but then I was able to answer back right away to put the series away with a 4-1 win.

Though it was annoying at times, it was kinda fun to be challenged (even if it definitely felt like cheap AI was the primary reason why that series wound up being so close).    

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Well while we're talking about video games, apparently there's rumors every team will have a 4th jersey this year?

https://www.icethetics.com/news/penguins-flyers-reverse-retro-jerseys-apparently-leak

Well literally anything to pump in some extra revenue and sell sh!t since attendance will be low

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Greatly appreciate the rather diplomatic use of the word "amazing".

Oh, it wasn't a criticism at all, its impressive. I don't partake much now but I guarantee I played NHL 94-99 more than any of you lol.

The first (and maybe only) on-campus activity I participated in in college was an NHL 94 tournament, in which I took first place and $500 in prize money. 

Edited by mfitz804

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

Well while we're talking about video games, apparently there's rumors every team will have a 4th jersey this year?

https://www.icethetics.com/news/penguins-flyers-reverse-retro-jerseys-apparently-leak

Those are actually pretty sharp. I also see in the same article the powder blue gloves for Mckinnon suggesting a Nords jersey. Pretty cool

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The Flyers looks pieced together. Like their roster. 

Pens isn't bad. 

I'm hoping ours is green with red and white trim. That's what I would see as a "reverse retro" for us. 

Or those black Starter jerseys from the mid-90s...

See the source image

I actually had one of these, then made the mistake of having it dry-cleaned.  Completely shriveled up the logo.