The Weird 2020 Off-Season Thread

jagknife

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1315656399532294146?s=20https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1315656399532294146?s=20

So I put this here cause its talking about both free agents and trades.

4 of the TSN top 10 free agents are still out there (Pietrangelo, Hoffman, Tofolli, Dadonov) and a handful of others before you even get out of the top 20.

Big name teams with space still: Rangers Detroit Nashville Us

Ottawa is STILL under the floor

I know Fitz said he won't rush anything, but man we're still in great position to take on another asset that'll help us and bail out a club like Vegas or Winnipeg.

The Yotes, meanwhile, are almost $2m over the cap. wow.

13 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I know Fitz said he won't rush anything, but man we're still in great position to take on another asset that'll help us and bail out a club like Vegas or Winnipeg.

I get the impression he's definitely open to the idea, if something too good to pass up falls into his lap.  He's just not going to force anything.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I get the impression he's definitely open to the idea, if something too good to pass up falls into his lap.  He's just not going to force anything.  

Agreed, nice timing too, casue I was scrolling further on Twitter, Mike Morreale was apparently on NHL Radio and said he thinks the Devils have something on par with the Johnsson trade in the works, if not bigger than.

Obviously the tweet above is now second hand, but man.... I'd LOVE to get Nate Schmidt from Vegas,  not sure who would be a cap dump from Winnipeg that would make sense, maybe the Blues dump Dunn for parts? So many interesting possibilities.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jagknife said:

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1315656399532294146?s=20https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1315656399532294146?s=20

So I put this here cause its talking about both free agents and trades.

4 of the TSN top 10 free agents are still out there (Pietrangelo, Hoffman, Tofolli, Dadonov) and a handful of others before you even get out of the top 20.

Big name teams with space still: Rangers Detroit Nashville Us

Ottawa is STILL under the floor

The Yotes, meanwhile, are almost $2m over the cap. wow.

In reference to it being so challenging for them... 

pity party mr crabs GIF

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

In reference to it being so challenging for them... 

pity party mr crabs GIF

It's all relative for sure and I don't feel sorry for them, but did ANYONE think Taylor Hall was signing a one-year deal for $8 million at the beginning of last season?  I think fans were thinking minimum 6 years and at least $10 million per year.  

But if anything, maybe all of this 2020 craziness ushers in an era of fiscal responsibility for some of these GMs.  Let's face...those backpage mega-deals signed by UFAs really have a way of not being cost-effective.  Quite often it feels like less than halfway through such deals, teams are already trying to find ways to get out of them...and at the end (when the player is clearly declining and still has at least two years left), those franchises are lamenting how much those contracts are hamstringing their ability to make other moves.

Of course, eventually if you've put together a hell of a team with a lot of home-grown talent that's earned their raises, it's hard to stay entirely out of cap hell...but I like that Fitz is really trying to avoid being in that position for as long as he can...and if he eventually does have issues, it won't be because he overpaid a bunch of 29-31 year old, pretty good UFAs who ultimately don't move the needle all that much.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's all relative for sure and I don't feel sorry for them, but did ANYONE think Taylor Hall was signing a one-year deal for $8 million at the beginning of last season?  I think fans were thinking minimum 6 years and at least $10 million per year.  

But if anything, maybe all of this 2020 craziness ushers in an era of fiscal responsibility for some of these GMs.  Let's face...those backpage mega-deals signed by UFAs really have a way of not being cost-effective.  Quite often it feels like less than halfway through such deals, teams are already trying to find ways to get out of them...and at the end (when the player is clearly declining and still has at least two years left), those franchises are lamenting how much those contracts are hamstringing their ability to make other moves.

Of course, eventually if you've put together a hell of a team with a lot of home-grown talent that's earned their raises, it's hard to stay entirely out of cap hell...but I like that Fitz is really trying to avoid being in that position for as long as he can...and if he eventually does have issues, it won't be because he overpaid a bunch of 29-31 year old, pretty good UFAs who ultimately don't move the needle all that much.  

I agree nobody saw it coming, I just don't feel the least bit sorry for any or them. We have been through numerous lockouts, including one that cost everyone an entire season and no Cup being awarded and people were saying the same thing about maybe now general managers won't be giving out huge ridiculous contracts and then they always end up going back there, this will be no different though next off season might be more of the same like this year depending on whatever the hell happens next year with fans in the buildings. 

Hell, Hall is literally gambling on the hope that things go back to their normal and he gets awarded with the ridiculous big contract that he's looking for next off season after hopefully putting up big numbers. He just better hope he doesn't end up like Dak Prescott because he too gambled on a 1 year deal and boy that sure didn't work out well for him. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

12 minutes ago, jagknife said:

what an outstanding way to screw with your core that has had great success over the years. (Yes, all 3 of them)

Gotta love the loyalty McCrimmon is showing to the guys who started it all.

Meh, it's a business and they make millions of dollars. Yea it sucks to move your family around, but that is the caveat of making an assload of money to play a sport. They don't seem to care much when they demand contracts that handcuff GMs/the team with NMC or NTC and extra years on the end they might never play or come close to delivering on. Then they get bought out and still make a ton of money to doing nothing. Loyalty schmoilty....$$$$$ is king.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Meh, it's a business and they make millions of dollars. Yea it sucks to move your family around, but that is the caveat of making an assload of money to play a sport. They don't seem to care much when they demand contracts that handcuff GMs/the team with NMC or NTC and extra years on the end they might never play or come close to delivering on. Then they get bought out and still make a ton of money to doing nothing. Loyalty schmoilty....$$$$$ is king.

But there’s something to be said about your team building chemistry and what not. And when you’re constantly chasing the next man up rather than building that core, it’s going to screw your team over

13 minutes ago, jagknife said:

But there’s something to be said about your team building chemistry and what not. And when you’re constantly chasing the next man up rather than building that core, it’s going to screw your team over

Difference in opinion I guess. The GM ices the best team he can and the rest sorts itself out. I don't think Towes and Kane were worried about chemestry when they took their max deals according to the CBA and handcuffed Bowman. 

7 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Difference in opinion I guess. The GM ices the best team he can and the rest sorts itself out. I don't think Towes and Kane were worried about chemestry when they took their max deals according to the CBA and handcuffed Bowman. 

At the end of the day, it’s a business on both sides. True acts of loyalty are few and far between. To me, a player who spends 15 years on one team and gets paid multiple millions isn’t staying purely out of loyalty. Nor is a team paying a guy what he’s worth a demonstration of loyalty. 

I would say an attempt at comedy but yeah, it’s bullish!t. 

I do think putting two pucks in play would shake things up, maybe not 5 though. I might like the chaos of that as opposed to say, a shootout in the regular season. 

Playoff games should just be played until someone wins. 

23 hours ago, jagknife said:

Not to bring up a dead topic from yesterday, but this is what I was talking about:

Players really have no right to complain about the team not being competitive or guys being shipped out when they're signing these contracts that basically guarantee the team needs to be torn apart and put back together ground up at some point.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Not to bring up a dead topic from yesterday, but this is what I was talking about:

Players really have no right to complain about the team not being competitive or guys being shipped out when they're signing these contracts that basically guarantee the team needs to be torn apart and put back together ground up at some point.

I don't quite understand the structure... i understand that teams may want to keep "salary" low for a few years because of the state of finances for teams right now... but then why give an extra signing bonus? Then you endup giving the same amount of money. Or then if money wasnt an issue... then why split it like that and not just go with a 5m salary? Maybe it has to do with when they get the money. 3m up front vs through payments through the year?