The Weird 2020 Off-Season Thread

jagknife

4 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

I think an interesating concept would be a progressive rate cut to save the guys making the league minimum who will likely have shorter careers.

For perspective, league minimum next season is $750k. 25% of that is $187,500, leaving $562,500. 

A guy making $10m for be setting aside $2.5m and still getting $7.5m. 

Honestly, I don’t feel bad for either guy. Having to scrape by on “only” $562,500 doesn’t seem that bad to me. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

For perspective, league minimum next season is $750k. 25% of that is $187,500, leaving $562,500. 

A guy making $10m for be setting aside $2.5m and still getting $7.5m. 

Honestly, I don’t feel bad for either guy. Having to scrape by on “only” $562,500 doesn’t seem that bad to me. 

The average NHL career is 5 years - and that's bouncing up and down with call-ups.      I feel bad for the guys who only get a season or two, and miss out on that important income that won't be available to them later.
Are people suffering more from the economic impact of COVID?  Absolutely.    But for the guys at the bottom, it isn't taking a short term pay cut...  they will never see that kind of money in ~2 years.  

The guys on top can afford to shave the 25% off; it still stings and sucks...  but it won't change much for them long term financially. 

Ultimately there will be concessions; I still feel bad though.

Walsh is a clown.  This is the same agent that released that Fleury backstabbing picture about DeBoer during the playoffs that his own client didn't even authorize.  I can imagine trying to spin this story one way is his attempt to make the owners look bad because a deferral will likely impact his own personal bottom line since he takes a percentage.

If the players are indeed this upset, then they will find themselves on the wrong side of public opinion on this one.  Most hockey fans with more than a few brain cells know the league is far more gate-driven than the other major leagues and that the owners are likely going to take a bath on a shortened season with empty arenas.  That and it is hard to sympathize with people who have to take a pay cut down to $500K at worst when there are record job losses due to the same pandemic and there are miles-long lines to food panties in many states.

• Like 2

I don’t know where the idea comes from that anyone who ever plays pro sports should be set for the rest of their life. Sorry, but it doesn’t work that way. If your talent level or injuries leave you playing only 5 years and you make $750k a year, you aren’t set for life. It just doesn’t work that way. 

You are making plenty of money to put a lot away and have a great start toward retirement, but being a borderline NHL player doesn’t mean you never have to work again, 25% held back or not. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t know where the idea comes from that anyone who ever plays pro sports should be set for the rest of their life. Sorry, but it doesn’t work that way. If your talent level or injuries leave you playing only 5 years and you make $750k a year, you aren’t set for life. It just doesn’t work that way. 

You are making plenty of money to put a lot away and have a great start toward retirement, but being a borderline NHL player doesn’t mean you never have to work again, 25% held back or not. 

That may be true, but the point is it’s not a good look to argue over money publicly when so many others have literally lost everything. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

That may be true, but the point is it’s not a good look to argue over money publicly when so many others have literally lost everything. 

It would be funny if the owners gave in but then cut the free meals, the merch perks, the personal trainers, and chartered flights. Instead they get a bag of bean chips and a long bus ride to road games.

7 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

It would be funny if the owners gave in but then cut the free meals, the merch perks, the personal trainers, and chartered flights. Instead they get a bag of bean chips and a long bus ride to road games.

Also, no more five star hotels. Motel 6 baby.

6 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Also, no more five star hotels. Motel 6 baby.

That with long bus rides and something like ~$20 per diem...  it's like my college wrestling days.

I kept the per diem to buy groceries though when I got back...

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

But the players aren’t in a financial battle with the “others that have literally lost everything.” They’re in a financial battle with the billionaire owners who offered them a contract to sign.

Regardless, 100% of pro-rated pay seems completely reasonable to me.

I think that was the point, rich people who are still rich arguing with other rich people about money is a bad look when there are people out there who lost jobs, can't find work, and can't afford rent, food, or child care in the event they did have a job. I don't know about you, league minimum is $750,000, anyone with a $750,000 is "rich" in my opinion. Or they should be, I guess its real easy for anyone to spend beyond their means, but still.

Not that any of that is the players' fault, but "only" getting $3 million out of your $4 million isn't exactly a struggle. Sure, contracts should be honored. But sh!t happens. Guys were permitted (and rightfully so) to opt out of playing despite having contracts that required them to do so; contracts go both ways. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

But the players aren’t in a financial battle with the “others that have literally lost everything.” They’re in a financial battle with the billionaire owners who offered them a contract to sign.

Regardless, 100% of pro-rated pay seems completely reasonable to me.

I know that. But if the players are expecting sympathy, they can look elsewhere for it is all I’m saying. People aren’t gonna relate. It’s the most first world of first world problems. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

I know that. But if the players are expecting sympathy, they can look elsewhere for it is all I’m saying. People aren’t gonna relate. It’s the most first world of first world problems. 

Exactly, what's next, the lid is too tight on your Grey Poupon?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:
Not talking is always the best way to fix things lol...

Maybe coolr heads will prevail

but seriously, fvck both sides. Owners trying to reneg on labor peace we praised them for months ago, and the players crying poverty, granted they JUST got their first checks since April about a month ago.

I truly feel for anyone being decimated by COVID due to work and whatnot. This pandemic completely changed how I'm approaching my next stop in a few years after here and I'm almost certainly staying in.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Maybe coolr heads will prevail

but seriously, fvck both sides. Owners trying to reneg on labor peace we praised them for months ago, and the players crying poverty, granted they JUST got their first checks since April about a month ago.

I truly feel for anyone being decimated by COVID due to work and whatnot. This pandemic completely changed how I'm approaching my next stop in a few years after here and I'm almost certainly staying in.

Both sides definitely don't make it easy to support them. Maybe owners were delusional and thought they could have full stadiums or half filled stadiums by Jan 1st. I know they should have known better but it's pretty clear that's what they were originally banking on. 

With the way things are trending here right now it's just impossible that most teams will be allowed to have any fans let alone packed crowds. Even if some teams let fans in all the teams are going to have to do what the NFL did and refund the money for this season or give an option to carry it over to the 21-22 season at this point. That's a ton of lost revenue for teams. At the same time I'm not on the owners sides either because I've been bitching and moaning about fan friendly concession stand prices for years. It's impossible to feel bad for anyone who is charging almost $15 for a tall boy of sh!tty Bud Light, $5 for a bottle of water and almost $10 for a crappy hot dog. 

If I didn't enjoy going to games so much I'd absolutely cancel my season tickets completely cause I really don't like either side when it comes to all this stuff but in the end I'd really only be hurting myself. 

The Utah Jazz in the NBA announced that they are allowing 1,500 fans in the lower bowl only when they start their season later in the month. This sort of thing is what I expect for the teams that actually allow fans in the building... 

https://www.nba.com/jazz/news/vivint-arena-reopen-limited-number-fans-utah-jazz-games

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Whatever. If they don’t play they don’t play. I have more important sh!t to worry about.

Pretty much where I am.  This has been a sh!t-storm of a year...and to finish it off, I'm getting divorced (still navigating our way through that one...and it was obvious that things hadn't been right in a long time, so don't want to imply there was any blindsiding from either party...was only a matter of time).  But with an awesome 12-year-old involved who did nothing wrong and has tremendous spirit, I just hope this won't break her.  Fortunately she's loved equally by Mom and Dad.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Pretty much where I am.  This has been a sh!t-storm of a year...and to finish it off, I'm getting divorced (still navigating our way through that one...and it was obvious that things hadn't been right in a long time, so don't want to imply there was any blindsiding from either party...was only a matter of time).  But with an awesome 12-year-old involved who did nothing wrong and has tremendous spirit, I just hope this won't break her.  Fortunately she's loved equally by Mom and Dad.  

Oh damn dude, know it wasn’t a blindside but still isn’t easy, especially with the kiddo.

I hope its more amicable than the one I endured as a kid, that sh!t was downright atrocious to be slapped in the middle

• Like 1

We want it to be amicable for sure.  Long and short is that we hadn't been truly happy in many years, and a lot was missing.  We want to remain friends and be good parents to our daughter.  We both love her more than anything.  

• Like 4