Schneider to be bought out

MadDog2020

Makes me realize just how spoiled we were by Marty, who was so good for so long.  Cory had plenty of talent and I couldn't have been more thrilled when he signed his long-term deal, but as we found out, playing well and staying healthy well into your 30s is far from guaranteed.  The balance of the past few years with Cory was very tough to watch.

Really wish him the very best...he's a good guy and a class act.  It's very clear that his teammates truly loved the guy and had never stopped rooting for him, no matter how demoralizing his performances could be.

His contract obviously made it difficult for the Devils (I think they pretty much handled that situation the best that they could, and to Cory's credit, he took his AHL demotions extremely well), and they simply didn't have any real options for a while, when KK started to struggle with being asked to do more...glad that Blackwood has done enough to make moving on easier...and I'm glad that they made the decision to move on fully.  There's nothing to debate here, especially with all of the cap room...this is what is best for the New Jersey Devils, no matter what Cory does elsewhere.

3 hours ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

worst case scenario was that Ruff started the season with Cory in net and rode him for 15 games because 'hes the vet'

Thankfully that cant happen now

This wasn't going to happen.  Ruff had no ties to Cory, and I think everyone involved just felt that there was no point in prolonging this...especially with Blackwood playing so well once he found his groove.  I'm looking forward to Blackwood + someone else...and the good news is, whoever they sign isn't likely to be a "Well at least he's not Cory" Domingue-type.  I get the feeling someone legit (who will have a shot to get over half the games if Blackwood falters) is coming here.  

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Makes me realize just how spoiled we were by Marty, who was so good for so long.  Cory had plenty of talent and I couldn't have been more thrilled when he signed his long-term deal, but as we found out, playing well and staying healthy well into your 30s is far from guaranteed.  The balance of the past few years with Cory was very tough to watch.

Really wish him the very best...he's a good guy and a class act.  It's very clear that his teammates truly loved the guy and had never stopped rooting for him, no matter how demoralizing his performances could be.

His contract obviously made it difficult for the Devils (I think they pretty much handled that situation the best that they could, and to Cory's credit, he took his AHL demotions extremely well), and they simply didn't have any real options for a while, when KK started to struggle with being asked to do more...glad that Blackwood has done enough to make moving on easier...and I'm glad that they made the decision to move on fully.  There's nothing to debate here, especially with all of the cap room...this is what is best for the New Jersey Devils, no matter what Cory does elsewhere.

This wasn't going to happen.  Ruff had no ties to Cory, and I think everyone involved just felt that there was no point in prolonging this...especially with Blackwood playing so well once he found his groove.  I'm looking forward to Blackwood + someone else...and the good news is, whoever they sign isn't likely to be a "Well at least he's not Cory" Domingue-type.  I get the feeling someone legit (who will have a shot to get over half the games if Blackwood falters) is coming here.  

I agree with this. I think the guy coming in has to be a 1A 1B type guy, let Blackwood have someone to learn from, get some healthy competition

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

My money is on Cam Talbot.

Checked out the UFA goalie pool and it's safe to say that none of them are kids.  All of them are in their 30s.  

I'd consider MAF, partly because Vegas will give you something else to take him off their hands (like a draft pick)...they may be willing to eat some money too.  And he's only signed for a couple of years.  I know he only put up a .905 save% last season though.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

just have to wonder if he would have any interest in coming to a team that well isn't  that good.  There was an article I saw yesterday mentioned a possible return to Pitt. Who knows, I would love to see him here, he seems to have the perfect attitude that this team could use as they hopefully grow. At this stage in his career he may look to be with a contender if he can find one. It wouldn't be about money for him at this point, maybe.

Edited by titans04

15 minutes ago, titans04 said:

We have plenty of cap space we can still weaponize. Based on well what seems like forever, hitting the cap ceiling probably won't come into play barring a big change in philosophy. 

Except the rumor was the team was operating on an internal budget, whatever that means. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Except the rumor was the team was operating on an internal budget, whatever that means. 

I honestly think having an internal budget is freaking stupid. You don't buy teams to make money, you buy teams cause you want to win and brag about it.

Limiting yourself to what you can't spend is bad business, but so are bad contracts. And if they're going to penny pinch and wonder why the team doesn't sell, they can look in the mirror. I know it isn't logical but its so damn annoying when I hear "well they have an internal cap" in regards to any team, its dumb business.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

I honestly think having an internal budget is freaking stupid. You don't buy teams to make money, you buy teams cause you want to win and brag about it.

Limiting yourself to what you can't spend is bad business, but so are bad contracts. And if they're going to penny pinch and wonder why the team doesn't sell, they can look in the mirror. I know it isn't logical but its so damn annoying when I hear "well they have an internal cap" in regards to any team, its dumb business.

Every team has one. For some teams, it’s up to the. Anyone under the cap Is that way for a reason. The stupid part is announcing it. It sounds like is “we don’t actually want to compete”.

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I agree with you 100%, I completely believe they have operated with a internal cap and I think that blows especially when you blow big chunks of that on junk parts.

1 hour ago, devlman said:

I hope the $2 mill dead cap hit doesn’t hurt us in years 3 and 4 when we’ll likely be adding pieces to a contending team in a probable flat cap world.

One thing I no longer worry about is being up against the cap until I actually see it happen.  Not so long ago we were worried about Hall’s potential hit and Bratt and Nico and...

Hopefully some of the pieces are coming from within.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

One thing I no longer worry about is being up against the cap until I actually see it happen.  Not so long ago we were worried about Hall’s potential hit and Bratt and Nico and...

Hopefully some of the pieces are coming from within.  

If we are so close to the cap that $2m makes a difference, things went extremely well. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

If we are so close to the cap that $2m makes a difference, things went extremely well. 

I know first round exits now sound exciting but in a few years we’re going to rightfully be expecting more. The Leafs would sacrifice first born for that space now.

For me, $2m isn’t nothing and it’s a little perplexing doing that for a backup goalie. His replacement would have to be significantly better than him and there really isn’t a backup on the market that would be. This was all about saving money, which is fine, but can bite us in the ass down the road cap-wise.

4 minutes ago, devlman said:

I know first round exits now sound exciting but in a few years we’re going to rightfully be expecting more. The Leafs would sacrifice first born for that space now.

For me, $2m isn’t nothing and it’s a little perplexing doing that for a backup goalie. His replacement would have to be significantly better than him and there really isn’t a backup on the market that would be. This was all about saving money, which is fine, but can bite us in the ass down the road cap-wise.

Literally anyone is likely going to be better than Cory. Certainly more dependable to stay healthy. 

Markstrom could be an option. Or Khudobin. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, devlman said:

I can think of a handful of goalies on the market with more consistency, cheaper in price than $6m and aren't mental liabilities on the ice.

I saw Todd Cordell posted an article yesterday on his pay-to-read site echoing the bolded statement, but you don't buy a guy out, then trade for a $4.6m defender. Schnieder, in his current state, has been a liability. Sure he had glimmers of hope that his game was coming back together and he would turn the corner, but taking away his absolute Hollywood-esq heater, the last few years have been a wild card leaning on the detrimental to the team. You cant expect the team in front of you to play loose hockey when they're worried if the routine dump in is going to find its way to the back of the net or a lob on goal squeaks trough.

Cory did wonders for this team, and could very well have hurt us by playing so well, but he gave us hope for a while when we probably shouldn't have had any. But that time had passed him by and he is no longer the guy who dominated the crease to earn that $6m that is now off the books.

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Literally anyone is likely going to be better than Cory. Certainly more dependable to stay healthy. 

Markstrom could be an option. Or Khudobin. 

Only reason I wouldn't want Dobby is he's going to command #1 money and that'd be over $4m.

I know he's a dinosaur now, but I wonder if Ruff will ask Fitz to check on Ryan Miller. Don't read that as an endorsement, just making a possible connection.